Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you optimize your gear in sub-50 PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Do you optimize your gear in sub-50 PvP?

criminalheretic
02.28.2013 , 05:30 PM | #11
Yeah, I really only bother gearing up like every 10 levels, and even then only with what I can get with planetary comms, or buy cheaply on the GTN. The exception is level 49. As I do daily quests, I obviously end up with a lot of orange drops, which rather than sell, I just send to my alts so they can rip the mods out at level 49, and enjoy one level of twinkage/godmode before they jump into the 50 queue.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

Joesixxpack
02.28.2013 , 06:10 PM | #12
Not really. Normal routine is to gear toons out so all that can be orange is, aug main pieces with purple once or twice, and keep blue and maybe some purple mods until upper 30s and purple accessory pieces. I don't upgrade frequently though. Then a mod and accessory upgrade around 40, and coast to 50.

I know gearing well sub-50 isn't necessary but usually do for the hell of it; or if it's a new class story and I'll be taking time to smell the roses along the way.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Bluce'Ree Sent | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op
DEAD SERVER REFUGEE

DarkSaberMaster
02.28.2013 , 07:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by jamescloutier View Post
Personally I find a set of orange gear to use by 20 and augment it. I drop blue armoring/mods/enh every 4 levels. I do blue augments but only every 10-12 levels. Hilts/barrels I spring for purples. When I get to the low 40s I'll drop purples in and ride it out to 50.

Now I have every crafting profession maxed so I can do all of this in house farely cheaply.
That's what I do too.
Daage: (Serenity Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
Durenzo: (Ruffian Scoundrel) The Harbinger
Referral link for free stuff

Screaming_Ziva
02.28.2013 , 11:05 PM | #14
I didn't start optimizing my gear until around level 40. Now my level 48 Sage has almost 17k hp in warzones.

Technohic
03.01.2013 , 08:44 AM | #15
Thanks for all the responses.

I did go at one point, and craft gear for my sage who fell behind a few levels and tried crafting all purple quality items. That took forever and I felt like it wasn't worth it. So reading here, I went and I thought my Vanguard was about 5 levels behind in gear.

Got him in all oranges except I don't have any schems for orange heavy boots until level 31 (I have some but they require specific classes) and he is actually my armstech so those items are just blue, along with implant and purple adrenals because I had the mats on hand. Blues were not so bad to craft. Some of the gear I got an augment slot and I have the ability to craft one low level augment so I might do that. Might as well if the slot is there, but I haven't yet.

Turns out I was closer to 10 levels behind on gear somehow when I looked to equip the newly crafted gear. Its funny cause the last match I did 200k damage. Didn't have time to give the updated gear a test run but it should be fun.

I suppose once a toon is in all orange, it doesn't take that much time to update from time to time.
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

majiinx
03.01.2013 , 10:40 AM | #16
What you can do is buy adaptive armor and put Mk-5 slots on them so this way you don't have to worry about new kits every tier just swap out augments when you can and since you'll be using the same armor from 1-49 you just need to worry about changing mods, enhancements etc..

dcgregorya
03.01.2013 , 10:42 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
I was just curious as it seems I see a lot more people with augmented gear in sub-50 while I have kind of felt like I just wanted to level quickly and wouldn't bother. But, from reading chat in WZs I can easily see some people take sub-50 more seriously than I do.

I just want to know to what extent people go to gear their sub-50s. You go all blue? All Purple? Orange with blue/purple mods? Augments? You get yourself some stims? I even finally saw someone with nades and realized I might have sold them that nade. lol

How far do you go?
I don't go out of my way...as I'm leveling and crafting I wind up with blue armor anyway. and generally I craft augments and augment kits as I'm leveling up.

Not like it takes any real time to do it, your companions handle it and you get commendations just for doing the planet quests.

As far as stat optimization - I just always augment for main stat, and get gear that has a lot of power in the low levels, crit/surge 40+. This is because crit/surge never gets very high sub-40, so power is more valuable.

Killtastrophe
03.01.2013 , 12:03 PM | #18
I like to keep everything pretty close to BiS as I level to 50 in PvP.

I haven't left the fleet since I got my star ship on my current alt which is now 35ish and that leveling has been all through PvP and a couple flashpoints.

I had a full set of the level 20 armor, I have the 40 set waiting; even though I can craft better armorings/mods/enhancements it won't be in the game much longer.

I have multiple full stacks of PvP Medpacks and Adrenals and am not shy to use them every time off cooldown if needed.

I craft and use grenades everyday and if they are off cooldown when you pop your CC breaker without full resolve you are hitting the ground.
Killionaire - Killtastrophe - Killtrocity - Killustrator - Killaholic
PoT5