Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OT_Sithlord
02.28.2013 , 11:19 AM | #1421
Yeah to trasnfer, I found that you can't have any modded equipment on you or your char.
If it's still stock, you can leave it equipped.

Dmaul

Macroeconomics
02.28.2013 , 12:06 PM | #1422
Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
For a skill that uses 1/4 of your resources, it should hit like a bus.
No, it hits like a Merc.

ArchangelLBC
02.28.2013 , 12:55 PM | #1423
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
No, it hits like a Merc.
It's like the stockstrike nerf all over again. We needed some sort of root. They put it in the worst place possible. We needed a good ability to run and gun that wasn't on a long cooldown. We even suggested explosive round would be a good candidate if they could adjust the horrific ammo cost and up the damage through talents.

So hilariously hilariously bad.

Though at least now we finally have that guaranteed proc for Plasma Cell.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Macroeconomics
02.28.2013 , 01:29 PM | #1424
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
It's like the stockstrike nerf all over again.
Well it's not as bad. I mean no one used Missile Blast anyway. Now no one will use Missile Salvo. No net change.

Personally I felt that the 3 step combat resolution of Missile Salvo had potential. Increase the difficulty of using it for the players, and give them a apple at the end of the rainbow. At least conceptually good, if lacking in the actual damage output. But now that Missile Salvo is dumbed down to be a single button insta cast, there is no way it will be buffed to become useful.

HexDecimalUK
02.28.2013 , 02:07 PM | #1425
My thoughts on the 2 ability's for the merc, LOL and L,,AAAAAAAAAWL. OK the net, what of it? stops people getting away right? so how do WE get away? jugs can jump to friends, inqs can sprint, maras/sins/ops can stealth out and they even gave the sniper with all his range and flash bangs an escape but the mercs well, nah have a cookie that puts one dot and slight root on one target. If i wasn't able to stand up to one target i would not be a level 50 merc its getting the hell away from that one target's back up when they start rushing in that's the problem but im sure it will feel totally fair putting a rooting net on a sentinel that's in our faces slicing us to bits i don't even wear bounty hunter Armour anymore mercs have no business wearing jet packs as the only class that has no disengage skill in the game. oh and i cant wait to try and use the net to stop players rushing ME like im going anywhere TY for prolonging my agony BW think il just stick to running in and dumping missiles till im killed then tutting to myself that my jet boost made no difference while the sorcs sprint away. *vents heat
<RISK>
Hex'DecimalUK-Pyro HexDesecrate-Lightning Shatterclipse-VG/Immortal
Hex'DecímalUK-concealment HexDecimus-Madness Blaster'Chief-AP

ArchangelLBC
02.28.2013 , 03:20 PM | #1426
Quote: Originally Posted by HexDecimalUK View Post
My thoughts on the 2 ability's for the merc, LOL and L,,AAAAAAAAAWL. OK the net, what of it? stops people getting away right? so how do WE get away? jugs can jump to friends, inqs can sprint, maras/sins/ops can stealth out and they even gave the sniper with all his range and flash bangs an escape but the mercs well, nah have a cookie that puts one dot and slight root on one target. If i wasn't able to stand up to one target i would not be a level 50 merc its getting the hell away from that one target's back up when they start rushing in that's the problem but im sure it will feel totally fair putting a rooting net on a sentinel that's in our faces slicing us to bits i don't even wear bounty hunter Armour anymore mercs have no business wearing jet packs as the only class that has no disengage skill in the game. oh and i cant wait to try and use the net to stop players rushing ME like im going anywhere TY for prolonging my agony BW think il just stick to running in and dumping missiles till im killed then tutting to myself that my jet boost made no difference while the sorcs sprint away. *vents heat

Hold the Line/Hydraulic Overrides should be pretty helpful in getting away.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

HexDecimalUK
02.28.2013 , 05:05 PM | #1427
no details given in the patch notes that I read on this but let me google it,,,,
found it http://www.torhead.com/ability/bpLQw...ulic-overrides
well this might be quite versatile looks like they have tried to put a skill behind what the commando does in the hope intro video now all we need as the one to hold a thermal detonator in a targets face and blow us both up with it XD

i did have a similar idea to the net which was a wrist harpoon that launches a player back 15 meters and causes them to bleed out but really they just need to make jet boost root effected players a give the merc said immunities obliviously from the surrounding heat radiation or something like that.

even sillier idea was to let mercs carry a vibro sword as an offhand and give commandos a vibro knife bayonet to purge the farseer er i mean sorc
<RISK>
Hex'DecimalUK-Pyro HexDesecrate-Lightning Shatterclipse-VG/Immortal
Hex'DecímalUK-concealment HexDecimus-Madness Blaster'Chief-AP

klham
02.28.2013 , 06:00 PM | #1428
Definitely, but it's typical that merc/mandos have to blow 3 or 4 cooldowns just to pull off a single trick on one attacker. It's like using up your cryo + kb because you don't have a root on the kb, or using up tech override + concussion round because your single target mez won't go off in time to save you or will be interrupted or LoS'd while you try to cast it. Again, merc/mandos are obliged to play their keybinds like a piano yet they're up against 3-button instant high-burst specs/ACs that have very low skill caps and can cancel out our supposed "range advantage" with a single cooldown. There's just too much asymmetry there for a couple of tweaks to even the playing field.

funkiestj
02.28.2013 , 07:19 PM | #1429
Intercede/Guardian leap would most likely be considered an escape that would be locked out, Rescue I'm not so sure of. Need to test this on the PTS, hopefully bolster gets fixed tomorrow.
target of net locked out of all leaps? I would think yes.

Guardian/jugg doing friendly leap to the target of electro net? I would think that would be allowed, just as I would expect a sage/sorc to be able to bubble and heal the target of the electro net.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Macroeconomics
02.28.2013 , 10:13 PM | #1430
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
merc/mandos are obliged to play their keybinds like a piano yet they're up against 3-button instant high-burst specs/ACs that have very low skill caps and can cancel out our supposed "range advantage" with a single cooldown. There's just too much asymmetry there for a couple of tweaks to even the playing field.
This is the trade-off for having super easy target acquisition and target maintenance (keeping target in range and in your firing arc). Let's face it, even a noob playing a Merc can keep an enemy target in range and in his firing arc 90% of the time. But a noob on a melee struggles to do that 50% of the time. So the devs counter that by making Mercs have the lowest utility in the game, the lowest damage output amongst dps subclasses, and the lowest survivability in the game. The problem is that amongst skilled melee players, their uptime increases dramatically while for skilled Merc, you are still stuck with the same STRUCTURAL handicaps. The devs have not fixed this, nor are ever likely to fix this because from their perspective, the meta average productivity of the classes is balanced. But from the player perspective the situation is fubar. Mercs are OP amongst low skill players and are worthless amongst high skill players.