Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs
02.23.2013 , 03:34 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
"Sorry, you're not my type" or "I'm not interested in you in that way, sorry. Can we still be friends?" should be options as friendly let downs for companions.
I agree there should be friendly options too.

Which companions have the 'flirt or be mean' options again? I was just talking to Vector with my one Agent and it seems like I can just easily avoid flirts and pick "nice" dialog (but then again he doesn't flirt with you).

I think Doc has one like that (you get 2 options that are flirts or you can reject him not so nicely)....I'm trying to think of some others. I don't play male PCs so I don't know about female companions.
Node guarder

SirGladiator
02.24.2013 , 01:25 AM | #222
JE did it so well, you talk to Skye, you shut him down, boom you're done with him and on to Silk Fox. I don't know how many times I had to reject Doc, it was certainly more than once, and obviously you couldn't then move on to Kira, as you should be able to. I don't play male characters so I don't know how it works, but it seems like female characters tend to get the worst LIs in certain Bioware games lately, like in ME2 where you literally can't even have a conversation with that one guy, whose name I can't remember right now, because literally everything is flirting, and your own character flirts back even if you don't want them to. Ironicly, in ME3 if anybody actually liked that and had romanced him in ME2, they found he had left them for somebody else, and they were left all alone. Obviously I didn't have that problem, but for anybody who would actually romance that guy, they still ended up screwed anyway, literally everybody lost with having that character around. Im guessing there are no such problems that any players of male characters have. Thats just all the more reason to treat everybody equally and fairly, its sickening to constantly be hit on by doc, and I don't even remember whether there was a 'neutral' response or not, but I didn't want one, I wanted to be as negative as possible, to somehow get the guy to leave my female JK alone. Its only fair that there be an equal number of females constantly hitting on my character, I think its safe to say that if that happened, and for whatever reason a particular female character wasn't to my liking, I definitely would want to let them down as gently as possible, so I'd put a higher priority on 'neutral' or 'letting them down gently' options for the female characters who hit on you, because generally speaking they arent going to be as incredibly annoying in their flirting comments as folks like Doc, and thus would be more deserving of being let down easy. But ultimately we have to actually 'have' flirt options with those characters before we can decide whether or not we want to go for it, or let them down easily, or shoot them down harshly. Thats the point, give us the same options as everybody else, and I'm sure we'll be plenty satisfied with the ways we can turn down anybody we'd actually want to turn down.

SithKoriandr
02.24.2013 , 12:42 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
JE did it so well, you talk to Skye, you shut him down, boom you're done with him and on to Silk Fox. I don't know how many times I had to reject Doc, it was certainly more than once, and obviously you couldn't then move on to Kira, as you should be able to. I don't play male characters so I don't know how it works, but it seems like female characters tend to get the worst LIs in certain Bioware games lately, like in ME2 where you literally can't even have a conversation with that one guy, whose name I can't remember right now, because literally everything is flirting, and your own character flirts back even if you don't want them to. Ironicly, in ME3 if anybody actually liked that and had romanced him in ME2, they found he had left them for somebody else, and they were left all alone. Obviously I didn't have that problem, but for anybody who would actually romance that guy, they still ended up screwed anyway, literally everybody lost with having that character around. Im guessing there are no such problems that any players of male characters have. Thats just all the more reason to treat everybody equally and fairly, its sickening to constantly be hit on by doc, and I don't even remember whether there was a 'neutral' response or not, but I didn't want one, I wanted to be as negative as possible, to somehow get the guy to leave my female JK alone. Its only fair that there be an equal number of females constantly hitting on my character, I think its safe to say that if that happened, and for whatever reason a particular female character wasn't to my liking, I definitely would want to let them down as gently as possible, so I'd put a higher priority on 'neutral' or 'letting them down gently' options for the female characters who hit on you, because generally speaking they arent going to be as incredibly annoying in their flirting comments as folks like Doc, and thus would be more deserving of being let down easy. But ultimately we have to actually 'have' flirt options with those characters before we can decide whether or not we want to go for it, or let them down easily, or shoot them down harshly. Thats the point, give us the same options as everybody else, and I'm sure we'll be plenty satisfied with the ways we can turn down anybody we'd actually want to turn down.
So they should make a female character who acts like Doc, so you will be as annoyed with her as you are with Doc?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

WeirdnGilly
02.25.2013 , 03:32 AM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
So they should make a female character who acts like Doc, so you will be as annoyed with her as you are with Doc?
just delurking to let you know you are the worst

do you deliberately misunderstand everything anyone says ever or do you really just not get it

what

SithKoriandr
02.25.2013 , 06:03 AM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by WeirdnGilly View Post
just delurking to let you know you are the worst

do you deliberately misunderstand everything anyone says ever or do you really just not get it

what
Did you seriously come out of lurking to bump a thread? Or did the idea of a female version of doc just bother you that much?

I was curious on something. We see posts about "OMG! DOC'S FLIRTING! I hate Doc! No one should flirt like that!" then it goes into "Flirt with SG" at which point I asked a simple question. If it was a female who acted that way, would it bother them. Basically, is it the flirting or is it the gender that was bothering them.

I'm actually puzzled as to why that question bothered you so much that you came out of lurking. Or was it just your way of bumping a thread?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

valicetra
02.28.2013 , 05:47 AM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
Why are females less likely to be incredibly annoying when they hit on you? And why are they more deserving of being let down gently than annoying men?

As for other bioware games, I more or less agree as there are very few male npc's to romance that I don't find annoying or their going to die (have to say at the end of ME3 I didn't really want fem Shepherd to survive). Even in swtor all the male npc's that are romance-able fall a little flat of the female options, in my opinion, and I'm sort of expecting all the SGR options in the future to be that way too.

I can still still dream big though...
Say is that a tentacle?

Ohamsie
02.28.2013 , 10:54 AM | #227
I've been gone a little while, and it seems they closed the old thread and started this new thread which already has a lot of posts in it. Has there been any progress lately? In the first post it looks like they said they are adding flirts in the expansion, is there any details yet what this entails?
[THE EBON HAWK] The Groundflyer Legacy
Jedi Sentinel Oham | Sith Sorceror Catalon | Scoundrel Gartrick

Kioma
02.28.2013 , 11:01 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by valicetra View Post
Why are females less likely to be incredibly annoying when they hit on you? And why are they more deserving of being let down gently than annoying men?
I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but that's absolutely not the case for me. Male, female or variable, annoying people are annoying. I personally would try to let anyone down gently, annoying or not, but my characters aren't always so empathic. Heck, my SI would let someone down as scathingly as possible just to see their confidence wither. She'd have a great (though not healthy) time with Doc.

Having said that Doc didn't annoy me (or my JK) in the slightest. Amused the heck out of me, actually, because he thinks he's so very, incredibly smooth and he's actually anything but. My JK wouldn't go there for any reason but she thinks he's (unintentionally) hilarious.

In a way, though, I think the female love interests have been written as somewhat... less potentially annoying than the men. I can imagine why someone might find several of the males irritating but not experience that kind of grating reaction to the women, and the sex of the characters may have far less to do with it than how they're written.

Quote: Originally Posted by valicetra View Post
As for other bioware games, I more or less agree as there are very few male npc's to romance that I don't find annoying or their going to die (have to say at the end of ME3 I didn't really want fem Shepherd to survive). Even in swtor all the male npc's that are romance-able fall a little flat of the female options, in my opinion, and I'm sort of expecting all the SGR options in the future to be that way too.

I can still still dream big though...
Again, that could very well be the writers. If the writers are only interested in pursuing particular forms of characters (or only capable of developing those characters; just as some writers can't write in more than one genre, some find it very difficult to write particular types of character convincingly) we're only going to see in-depth development for those characters (female love interests and comic foils, for example), leaving the rest to flounder a bit.

We can hope they take all of these forms of feedback into account and make sure their future developments (and/or writing teams) are balanced.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
02.28.2013 , 11:02 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
I've been gone a little while, and it seems they closed the old thread and started this new thread which already has a lot of posts in it. Has there been any progress lately? In the first post it looks like they said they are adding flirts in the expansion, is there any details yet what this entails?
Not yet, unfortunately. We don't know if they're throwaway flirts or fade-to-black brief encounters.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr
02.28.2013 , 12:56 PM | #230
I wonder if the writer of Doc didn't see him as annoying and rather saw his flirts as in fact the best ever, and players saw it as more annoying then anything else (and not all players even think it's annoying).

It's happened in fiction plenty of times, writer writes a character as being serious but comes off as a comical joke to most people who read/view the character.

Or has the writer for Doc come out and said the point of the Doc was to be annoying to the broader audience?