Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Single Target DPS Class for PVE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Best Single Target DPS Class for PVE?

Ledden
12.19.2011 , 11:28 PM | #1
Is it safe to say that the Jedi Sentential / Sith Marauder are the best at single target DPS?

I'm just assuming since melee are suppose to do more damage to compensate for the fact that they have to get into range unlike range classes.

Any insights?

Motivationman
12.20.2011 , 03:02 AM | #2
The official line is all DPS potential is roughly equal. In my experience marauder/sentinel while being very powerful is very hard to play to full potential. You have to manage a lot of stuff to max your DPS and frankly I'm not good enough at multitasking.

As for melee doing more damage? Probably untrue.

I've heard smuggler gunslingers and IA snipers fairly wreck things. I usually see them top damage charts in PvP but that could just be because they stay out of range and therefore live longer to do more damage.

Hizoka
12.20.2011 , 07:44 AM | #3
sents/maras and gunslingers/snipers are the kings of damage, however they both require good players to get to the top. there is no faceroll and win class in this game

however play what you like to play not what can potentially do the most damage. you will never hit the potential of a class you do not enjoy

BlownSi
12.20.2011 , 07:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
sents/maras and gunslingers/snipers are the kings of damage, however they both require good players to get to the top. there is no faceroll and win class in this game

however play what you like to play not what can potentially do the most damage. you will never hit the potential of a class you do not enjoy
^^This is spot on. The main thing that I am loving so far is that there is no IWIN button. Sent/Maras do have a steep learning curve, but their potential for single target DPS is ridiculous.
Harmeggido - J'anin - Zophie - Kaase
DaMG - The Shadowlands

Gelos
12.20.2011 , 07:49 AM | #5
For levelling in PVE the Trooper seems to be the class of Choice. The progression is very smooth and you do high Single and AOE damage.

The Commando seems to be the Advance Class that handles levelling best being Ranged with Heavy armor. I don't know if it does the "best" Solo PVE damage though. I think the Sniper does very high PVE damage, but their best abilities require charging up...so when you look at DPS it may be very similar to a class that has instant damage abilities you know?

ZakMorgan
12.20.2011 , 10:16 AM | #6
Definitely Gunslinger/Snipers specced...all they really got going for them is large, single target burst DPS...but boy do they both do it well. They can also AoE dps too if specced appropriately but personally I think they shine when they go Sharpshooter/Marksman.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Ledden
12.21.2011 , 01:51 AM | #7
Hmm okay that's bummer to know that as melee you still do the same damage as your range dps counterparts.

Gaidax
12.21.2011 , 02:17 AM | #8
Well, I do not know what class has the best single target DPS, but I suspect that Marauders will come on top in the end, since they seem to have the best resource system for constant DPS...

Snipers have some insane crits and if I could spam my stuff, there would be no contest really, but I can't - energy is a huge limiting factor here - it allows you to "overclock" yourself for a short time for some epic damage output, but then you are screwed with bad regen.

In short: Marauders would win in the end, despite seemingly lower damage, since Rage>Energy...

PvP-wise Sniper wins though - range, burst and energy being a superior mechanic for pot shotting.
<=======35m of dead pixels====.===>
"You don't need to be a better shot - you just need to shoot more bullets!"