Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Artifice] is artifice too powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Artifice] is artifice too powerful?

dovid-r
02.26.2013 , 04:20 PM | #11
you guys are missing the point here. I'll restate it again for emphasis.

artifice can craft, among other things:

custom built/elegant modified lightsabers
hilts
enhancements
color crystals

assuming you don't have an augmented custom build/elegant modified lightsaber, these make up 3/4 of the slots on the LS, allowing new f2ps to craft nearly ready-to-use lightsabers with just one crafting skill.

My question: Does Bioware need to give, for example, the ability to craft enhancements to another crew skill? Biochem, perhaps? That's what this thread is for, not to ***** about prices of purple armorings or nothing like that.
I shot the Jedi
But I did not shoot the Padawan

Khevar
02.26.2013 , 04:39 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by dovid-r View Post

hilts
enhancements
color crystals

assuming you don't have an augmented custom build/elegant modified lightsaber, these make up 3/4 of the slots on the LS, allowing new f2ps to craft nearly ready-to-use lightsabers with just one crafting skill.

My question: Does Bioware need to give, for example, the ability to craft enhancements to another crew skill? Biochem, perhaps? That's what this thread is for, not to ***** about prices of purple armorings or nothing like that.
You make a good point.

But I think it's important to recognize that lightsaber wielders all start their AC with moddable orange lightsabers. So crafting them would be mainly for looks or for companions.

Also, from a leveling perspective, I found that Cybertech was more useful than artifice. If you have all 9 pieces of moddable gear, plus earpiece and implant, you have a potential of (for a Sentinel):

1 earpiece
2 implants
2 hilts
2 crystals
7 armoring
9 mods
7 enhancements

Cybertech can craft 17 out of 30 of the possible upgrade slots, as compared to 11 from artifice. From this perspective, I don't think that artifice is too powerful in terms of crafting leveling gear.

Milandur
02.26.2013 , 04:56 PM | #13
Also consider that one of the slots for Artificing equipment, color crystals, sees a lot of competition from in-game drops and Cartel Market stuff. Most long time players turn to the dual-color crystals for twinking their alts, and there really isn't much of an endgame crafting crystal market to speak of since once you've got a +41 crystal, you're set in terms of stats.

Every time I check the hilt leveling market, it is flooded with hilts listed at recommended GTN price. I suppose purple-quality hilts still sell well, but why bother when you can buy a blue-quality hilt for a pittance?

On the other hand, enhancements are a much more flexible item than armorings or mods - because they don't carry a main stat, you can theoretically sell a bunch of the same type of enhancement to all 4 base classes. This makes playing the market a lot simpler and a lot safer with enhancements, in my opinion.

At the moment, I'd like to see the Artifice crafting skill get a little buff. More competitive color crystal crafting options, perhaps the ability to craft leveling relics. It definitely just got a huge bonus from the Gree event - once more people reach Champion standing with the Gree and pick up the Bind on Legacy sabers, we'll start seeing a lot more endgame hilts on the market. However, based on what I've seen of endgame crafting, I expect this flexibility will drive prices down and nerf the advantages of having an Artificer main.

So tl;dr - I don't think Artificing is overpowered, but it does provide unique market advantages to those who know how to make the most of them.

Kawabonga
02.26.2013 , 05:15 PM | #14
All AC start with an orange piece, so the custom built ligsaber is just for the look.
Color crystals will always lose vs cartel crystals when levelling

Enhancements are very versatile because they lack main stat, but still, they go in 7 slots only
Hilts will only be useful for one slot (2 for sents/maras)

Cybertech is a lot better as a crew skill. You get earpieces (1 slot), armorings (8/7 slots) and mods (8 slots), not to mention spammable granades of various types. Cartel market orange adaptive armor pieces are incredibly cheap, expecially if you have a female character so the shells aren't even a factor

wainot-keel
02.26.2013 , 09:04 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kawabonga View Post

Cybertech is a lot better as a crew skill. You get earpieces (1 slot), armorings (8/7 slots) and mods (8 slots), not to mention spammable granades of various types. Cartel market orange adaptive armor pieces are incredibly cheap, expecially if you have a female character so the shells aren't even a factor
Also, for leveling, people would buy the armoring wtih creds and save the planet commendations for mods/enhancements since the armoring costs 7 comms as opposed to 2. Much more efficient. Artifice loses more to those vendors (yes, hilts cost 7 comms, but you only need 1 or 2 )

Thundergulch
02.28.2013 , 11:23 AM | #16
I meant that people put them on the gtn along with the aforementioned modifications that they crafted.

As i said, that was my idea first
Doubtful

TheNevet
03.01.2013 , 03:45 AM | #17
This thread is total nonsense.
The Cheng Legacy - Level 50 | The Ebon Hawk
Nim-lo - 55 Shadow DPS | Jao-xun - 55 Guardian Tank | Vost'ryk'ereth - 50 Mercenary DPS
Mei-li - 55 Sage Healer | Lominos - 50 Commando Healer | Qing-jao - 50 Sorcerer DPS
Drenkor - 55 Sentinel DPS | Destruktus - 55 Juggernaut Tank | Gigolo - 50 Scoundrel DPS

Corran
03.02.2013 , 07:30 AM | #18

hilts
enhancements
color crystals

vs. the synthweaver that crafts custom armor for what...8 of your slots...and puts augment slots and artifact enhancements?

it evens out in the end imo.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Asavrede
03.02.2013 , 09:02 AM | #19
Uh no. Just because a crafting skill is actually worth it does not mean it needs nerfing. If anything BW ought to look at improving armstech, armormech and synthweaving.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheNevet View Post
This thread is total nonsense.
This.

Mcadamsl
03.02.2013 , 10:02 AM | #20
enchanments and hilts are really the only thing worth it for them to craft, the custom/elegant lightsabers are near worthless, You forgot to mention that they also craft off hand Focus, shields and generators, but I understand why with Bioware making all the dropped ones in game orange modible ones it killed that market, Color crystals Bioware slashed that market with Cartel crystals being end game that could be equipped at level 10, If anything they really need a buff to the crafting.