Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Tactics PVP gearing question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Vanguard
Tactics PVP gearing question

Col_Wilson's Avatar


Col_Wilson
02.23.2013 , 08:25 AM | #1
I recently started using tactics and realized the extra points I had could very easily go into Steely Resolve for 9% extra aim.
I know that with an assault build, you want to stack power because you get more damage out of it, but my question is, if you're using steely resolve, should you focus on aim instead? Should I use reflex augments over overkill augments and use high aim low power mods instead?

unluckyperson's Avatar


unluckyperson
02.23.2013 , 02:01 PM | #2
The bonus damage from power is 23% of your total power.

The bonus damage from Aim is 20% of your total aim.

If you get the Aim bonus, you're getting 9% extra aim, which will result in a 21.8% total (if you take 20% multiply by 1.09).

So you're still losing a bit of bonus damage, 1.2%, so it becomes a question of how much extra power are you getting? will that 1.2% difference become large enough that it becomes an issue?

Yes you could make the argument you get extra critical chance, but that bonus is not a linear function. How much extra critical chance you get is dependent on how much aim/main damage stat you have.

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
02.25.2013 , 07:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by unluckyperson View Post
The bonus damage from power is 23% of your total power.

The bonus damage from Aim is 20% of your total aim.

If you get the Aim bonus, you're getting 9% extra aim, which will result in a 21.8% total (if you take 20% multiply by 1.09).

So you're still losing a bit of bonus damage, 1.2%, so it becomes a question of how much extra power are you getting? will that 1.2% difference become large enough that it becomes an issue?

Yes you could make the argument you get extra critical chance, but that bonus is not a linear function. How much extra critical chance you get is dependent on how much aim/main damage stat you have.
Mainstat and crit rating crit is on a different DR. For pvp, you wont hit the soft cap (~2000 in live) for main stat crit, so mainstat DOES give lots of crit. It's also been said before countless times in other topics that because a. Vanguard tactics is weak on each individual hit, and b. almost every move has the 30% surge means that you will rely on crits to do your burst damage.

In live we have 6% fire effect crit. In 2.0 we'll have an additional 3% ranged and tech critical hit chance, though the DRs on everything have changed, making a flat rate 9% crit very good. Not to mention the 25% CD we have if you really want somebody dead.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

unluckyperson's Avatar


unluckyperson
02.25.2013 , 10:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Mainstat and crit rating crit is on a different DR. For pvp, you wont hit the soft cap (~2000 in live) for main stat crit, so mainstat DOES give lots of crit. It's also been said before countless times in other topics that because a. Vanguard tactics is weak on each individual hit, and b. almost every move has the 30% surge means that you will rely on crits to do your burst damage.

In live we have 6% fire effect crit. In 2.0 we'll have an additional 3% ranged and tech critical hit chance, though the DRs on everything have changed, making a flat rate 9% crit very good. Not to mention the 25% CD we have if you really want somebody dead.
Am I missing something? I don't believe I made any comment about the diminishing returns, I believe I simply stated that the critical chance increase from main stat isn't linear so we wouldn't be able to say how much he/she would gain without some data.

DariusCalera's Avatar


DariusCalera
02.26.2013 , 05:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Col_Wilson View Post
I recently started using tactics and realized the extra points I had could very easily go into Steely Resolve for 9% extra aim.
I know that with an assault build, you want to stack power because you get more damage out of it, but my question is, if you're using steely resolve, should you focus on aim instead? Should I use reflex augments over overkill augments and use high aim low power mods instead?
With 14 Augments, it breaks down like this:

14 x Aim Augments with group buffs and talents = 57.5 damage bonus and 0.93% crit
14 x Power Augments = 58 damage bonus.

So, in a raid setting with full group buffs and the +9% Aim talent you would only lose .5% damage but gain nearly a full point of crit.

As for the mods, always use the unlettered mods. (i.e. WH Agile 26 or 27 mods) They provide the best dps boost for the stats given.