Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Proof that Gunnery is fully viable with a rifle

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Proof that Gunnery is fully viable with a rifle

DariusCalera
02.24.2013 , 04:45 PM | #11
3% is a lot when you're trying to beat an enrage timer on a Boss with ~2 million hps. (60K)

Now, just imagine that you have another commando rolling with a rifle, that's 120K right there total, or how about a sentinel that only uses one saber, or a dps shadow using a single bladed saber.

If you want to play that way, go right ahead, no one is stopping you.

However, if you keep running into an enrage timer then it is the DPS's fault and, more importantly, it is your fault for wanting to play in a fashion when your dps is diminished.

ArchangelLBC
02.24.2013 , 06:21 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by wishihadaname View Post
Actually, if you used the tabs and looked at the numbers, it was a 194 second and a 200 second fight. You probably looked at the overall combination and then one individual fight.

As for the point of this thread, games are meant to be played and enjoyed. I do not enjoy using cannons because I think they looks ridiculous. If relics made my character fart bubbles whenever they procced I wouldn't use them either. The point of the thread is that in this case, I can both enjoy my own play style and be just as effective as any other DPS. As for the 3% damage difference, thats just between these two runs. Repeated enough time I could probably get runs where my dps was 3% higher with a rifle simply due to RNG because the overall difference in abilities is so small. Long story short, using a rifle does not impact dps in any statistically significant* way.

Mainly I put this thread up so that I could save a URL and then copy paste it to chat every time someone started complaining to me or calling me a bad for using a rifle. For those that haven't seen, I also have a pvp vid on this forum in which I am using a rifle, see for yourself how well that works.

*For those of you who haven't taken stats, if an experimental result varies at 5% or less between the control (aka normal or in this case cannon wielding) and the treatment group (same rotation/gear/target but using a rifle), then it is not considered to be a valid difference because there is a high probability that the discrepancy is based on random chance alone.
First off, using a rifle is a playstyle now?

Second the bolded part is just flatly untrue. You'd be more effective if another DPS was exactly like you but instead was using an Autocannon. Your HiBs are significantly weaker.

Listen you can say pretty much whatever you want with statistics but the point is you're still a bad.

PVEing solo? Use whatever you want.
Story Mode operations? Use whatever you want as long as it's better than recruit gear
Progression Raiding? Do whatever you can (within reason) to maximize DPS, and if you aren't doing that then you're a selfish douche who doesn't deserve a raid spot. Asking a commando to use an autocannon isn't ridiculous.

If you want to play a ranged turret with a rifle then reroll a sniper.

In the meantime, obviously you can do whatever you want. My point isn't to convince you. You're going to do what you want and nothing I can say will convince you. I'm just hoping if someone else sees this thread they'll realize using a rifle on commando DPS is the epitomy of silly.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

oaceen
02.24.2013 , 10:32 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygrys View Post
Try telling that to the "pros". The whole 3% less damage is gonna drive them ******* insane when they realize you're using a rifle instead of an auto cannon. Besides I've yet to play an operation and I doubt I'd be let in one if I would be using a rifle just because of that whole 3% less damage and them all going "omg uninstall noob" "dont know how to play class" etc., etc.
honestly, i don't care how anyone wants to play the game. they bought the game, they can play it how they want.

for HM FPs, dailies, non-end game raids (EV, KP, SM TFB/EC), solo leveling. i don't care. those are so easy to faceroll that it wouldn't matter if a commando used a rifle. i'll even run regular HM FPs with a dps specced commando who queued as a healer. i've gone with companions before when someone DC'd.

that said, it is not unreasonable for a raid leader to reject a commando who insisted on using a rifle. all the other dps in the group have to make up that extra dps to carry them through it. that's not really fair to put people into that position just because 'assault cannons are lame' or whatever.
and first of all, 3% is a lot of dps to intentionally lose, especially for a cosmetic option.
and second, i don't believe that the testing in this thread is very reliable, so we can't really say with any certainty what the discrepancy really is.

SwingApproves
02.25.2013 , 08:16 AM | #14
Rifle is still viable, just less min/maxing.

People still focus me because they know the damage I can unleash and if I'm in a good team that heals me (PUG in this case) then I'm absolutely fine. I'll screenshot my char later, I switch between canon and rifle now and again.

Cognar
02.25.2013 , 09:05 AM | #15
If it keeps me from being primary as much because they don't see the cannon, it helps my team. I'm going to have to try this tonight. Sick of everyone jumping right past the rest of my team and melting my face in 5 seconds.(PUG obviously, since i'm only lvl 23)

Jenzali
02.25.2013 , 03:27 PM | #16
Running without an Assault Cannon is not viable for PvP, no mater how you try to spin it. Besides the obvious damage loss, Hail of Bolts is the only way for a Commando to instantly interrupt a cap out of line of sight. Mortar Volley, your only other AoE has a long cooldown and also has a delay before dealing its damage meaning that you will lose games for your team.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

SwingApproves
02.26.2013 , 03:40 AM | #17
So it's viable, just not ideal.

yoomazir
02.26.2013 , 07:40 AM | #18
HAI gUyZ, I hAZ a MaNDO AND I HATe CAnONz !!!

aND I HatE RoFLEz ToO !!!!

sO I uZe FISTz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERFECTLY VIABLE

Never_Hesitate
02.26.2013 , 07:45 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
HAI gUyZ, I hAZ a MaNDO AND I HATe CAnONz !!!
Spoiler
With the fist of my mando I will take your sorc apart anytime
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Tygrys
02.26.2013 , 10:17 AM | #20
I still don't see the big deal behind that 3% less damage, especially in PvP. I could understand that in hard flashpoints or stuff like that but in PvP where fights don't take as much time the difference is pretty much nonexistant.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but don't rifles have a higher min damage meaning you can dish out more reliable damage instead of potentially higher damage which has a chance to be as bad as a rifle?