Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

When do i start worring about armors/weapons?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
When do i start worring about armors/weapons?

ABurghouts's Avatar


ABurghouts
02.26.2013 , 05:18 AM | #1
Hey all,

I started playing this game couple of days ago as f2p, after serveral hours i liked it so much i bought me some items in the cartel market so i would become preferred player.

Yesterday i decided to buy me the special edtion serial so i would become a sub.

I havn't payed a MMO in a while, but the last one i played was Lineage 2. I played it for YEARS, serveral thousends of hours i put my life into that game. But after last major patch they kinda ruined it for me. In the lower levels, early in game, there is nothing to do anymore but grinding. L2 is totally a game that starts with lvl 80 or higher.

But because im still L2 orientated im already working, reading, spending time to get me my armor i need, since in L2 it was a hell of a job to get your equipment.


Now my question is.

Should i just play the story? Without really worring about armors and or weapons till im lvl 40+?

Or when do i start worrieng about this in this game?

Will Guilds accept me as a nobody? Do people like playing with a low level, low grade armor kinda player? lol.

SettGirkkurn's Avatar


SettGirkkurn
02.26.2013 , 06:58 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ABurghouts View Post
Hey all,

I started playing this game couple of days ago as f2p, after serveral hours i liked it so much i bought me some items in the cartel market so i would become preferred player.

Yesterday i decided to buy me the special edtion serial so i would become a sub.

I havn't payed a MMO in a while, but the last one i played was Lineage 2. I played it for YEARS, serveral thousends of hours i put my life into that game. But after last major patch they kinda ruined it for me. In the lower levels, early in game, there is nothing to do anymore but grinding. L2 is totally a game that starts with lvl 80 or higher.

But because im still L2 orientated im already working, reading, spending time to get me my armor i need, since in L2 it was a hell of a job to get your equipment.


Now my question is.

Should i just play the story? Without really worring about armors and or weapons till im lvl 40+?

Or when do i start worrieng about this in this game?

Will Guilds accept me as a nobody? Do people like playing with a low level, low grade armor kinda player? lol.
Hi and welcome to SW:TOR.
Armor/weapon wise, you need to upgrade them as you pick new items on the field or via upgrades that are applicable for "orange" items. Same is with armor, since you will have hard time fighting with mobs if you dont have proper armor. You shouldnt worry much since you will need better after you reach level 50 but still need to upgrade them as you progress the game.

I wouldnt suggest doing only story quests since it might be harder than to progress later. E.g. you can leave home planet at level 7-8, but next planet (Dromund Kaas for Empire) is for players level 10 or higher. So it might be bit challenging to do it if you are lower level than suggested. Either way it would be easier to do side quest too, since you get both money, exp and gear from them.

Guilds prefer higher levels, but I dont think finding guild will be problem in this game. Might take you a while to find one that suits you but overall most people i met here are nice...

Hope I helped you a bit

ABurghouts's Avatar


ABurghouts
02.26.2013 , 07:36 AM | #3
Thank you, you did..

Upgrades you say?

Ill will look for that.. Guess i will find upgrades later since now, im still a lvl 12 shadow, and a lvl 10 gunslinger.

Its nice to play something els finnally.

I had my share of castle sieges, elfs, dragons, unicorns, and other mytic creatures. Now its time to conquer the Galaxy in my favorite franchise. lol.

But it does feel weird, to be a nobody in a MMO. While i was an expert, and king in another.. lol

I like it!

haliy's Avatar


haliy
02.26.2013 , 08:24 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SettGirkkurn View Post
Guilds prefer higher levels, but I dont think finding guild will be problem in this game. Might take you a while to find one that suits you but overall most people i met here are nice...
Are you under the assumption that all guilds prefer higher levels because I would strongly disagree.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

psandak's Avatar


psandak
02.26.2013 , 09:00 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ABurghouts View Post
Thank you, you did..

Upgrades you say?

Ill will look for that.. Guess i will find upgrades later since now, im still a lvl 12 shadow, and a lvl 10 gunslinger.

...

But it does feel weird, to be a nobody in a MMO. While i was an expert, and king in another.. lol

I like it!
As you played your characters on the starter planets you should have gotten quests to complete and upon completion of those quests you get "physical" rewards in the form of equipment upgrades. This will continue throughout the game. Some quests have only one reward and others give you a choice.

SettGirkkurn's Avatar


SettGirkkurn
02.26.2013 , 09:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by haliy View Post
Are you under the assumption that all guilds prefer higher levels because I would strongly disagree.
No, my guild accepted me while I was level 20ish.. however, most spam on fleet I see is "blah, blah, blah, TS3 and at least one 50lvl character, blah,blah,blah...spamety,spam"

Thus I presume guilds would prefer higher level chars. I suppose RP oriented guilds doesnt mind at all tho...

So, no, if someone though I meant generally all guilds, sorry that I havent been clear enough...

Bastila-chan's Avatar


Bastila-chan
02.26.2013 , 09:45 AM | #7
What server do you play on? If it's The red eclipse by any chance, I can offer you some in-game help

ABurghouts's Avatar


ABurghouts
02.26.2013 , 10:47 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bastila-chan View Post
What server do you play on? If it's The red eclipse by any chance, I can offer you some in-game help
Yes, red clips indeed.

I would tell you my name, but i dont know.. lol..

I had to use a difficult one since all the others were taken.. haha..

As soon as logged agian, i will post it here..

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
02.26.2013 , 11:20 AM | #9
Some suggestions:

- Kill lots of NPCs while questing at low levels (not a bad idea when higher level too). You'll find good enough gear often that way, get XP, and can sell what you don't want to vendors for additional income.

- If this is your first toon and you don't have support from others you may want to hold off on moddable (orange or purple) gear until you can afford to upgrade mods periodically. You can also get planetary comms as quest rewards or random drops though to buy mods or moddable gear, so it's not straight credit spending.

Some people go all the way to L 50 wearing green or blue armor and do fine, particularly if questing and heroics is all they do. If you want to do flashpoints or PVP later, modded gear is good.

A hardcore PVP or raiding guild may want well-geared players that already know the ins and outs of what the guild focuses on. Others welcome new players and couldn't care less about gear. Shop around, ask guilded players what their story is, might run into some putzes but there're loads of helpful players out there. Can also check your server's forum for guild recruitment posts.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

ABurghouts's Avatar


ABurghouts
02.26.2013 , 11:47 AM | #10
Thank you aswell.. some good tips there..