Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are Gunnery commando's tanks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper
Are Gunnery commando's tanks?

Damiam's Avatar


Damiam
02.25.2013 , 02:04 PM | #1
Hi there everyone, I am really questioning the 2.0 talent tree for gunnery Commando i mean, unless we are supposed to have a new role in raids, which by the looks of our talent tree is a dps offtank?
COME ON BW, before 2.0 we already had to spend 7 talent points on mitigation talents, and now post 2.0 we have to spend 9!!! short math for you other ppl (25%) of our talent points go into mitigation talents and not actual dps, which is more than any other class/specc i know off (apart from tanks).

So please, can someone give me a valid explanation for this, and does that mean Gunnery is completely ****ed compared to Assault specc for dps in 2.0?
Not a single FOCK was given!!

Bleeters's Avatar


Bleeters
02.25.2013 , 03:46 PM | #2
Because PvP.

Kerensk's Avatar


Kerensk
02.25.2013 , 05:45 PM | #3
Yeah Gunnery Commandos have problems when the targets start to fight back. Especially when they start to focus on yo like to were a tank pulling agro.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

Damiam's Avatar


Damiam
02.25.2013 , 06:59 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Because PvP.
Yea, but Assault specc is supposed to be the PvP specc due to fewer attacks with a cast time. gunnery seems like the more stationary dps
Not a single FOCK was given!!

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
02.25.2013 , 08:13 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Damiam View Post
Yea, but Assault specc is supposed to be the PvP specc due to fewer attacks with a cast time. gunnery seems like the more stationary dps
Neither tree has been particularly great for PvP, but you can be equally effective with either. The only people saying assault is the defacto PvP tree are those who couldn't get gunnery to work for them (and had never seen an effective gunnery commando).

They both have their strengths and weaknesses in warzones, and both needed improvements.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Damiam's Avatar


Damiam
02.26.2013 , 03:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Neither tree has been particularly great for PvP, but you can be equally effective with either. The only people saying assault is the defacto PvP tree are those who couldn't get gunnery to work for them (and had never seen an effective gunnery commando).

They both have their strengths and weaknesses in warzones, and both needed improvements.
That is very true, both are viable depending on what type you prefer, however mobility is key in pvp, and more casts = less mobility
Not a single FOCK was given!!

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
02.26.2013 , 05:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Damiam View Post
That is very true, both are viable depending on what type you prefer, however mobility is key in pvp, and more casts = less mobility
The ability to lay damage on your opponent is key in PvP. You can run around spamming hammer shot all day and be totally 'mobile', but hardly effective. There *is* a mobility tradeoff between assault and gunnery, but there is also a burst tradeoff in the other direction (albeit backloaded).
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Damiam's Avatar


Damiam
02.26.2013 , 06:28 AM | #8
Well a few things.
A) You say running around spamming hammer shot, go check the amount of instant casts in AS and compare it to gunnery, then you will see assault specc is more mobile, + plasma cell will get a slow.

B) Im trying to point out that despite BW wanting to make all speccs viable for pvp and pve, why does it seem that gunnery is built mainly for pvp? as i said earlier 25% of the talent points go into mitigation/utility talents (and no other class has to spend that many points on it). Honeslty I wish they would make 1 specc for pve dps and one for pvp dps.

C) Are the new talents on pts final? if so i might aswell go assault specc for dps.

D) My main point in this post is the PVE aspect of gunnery commando, so continously blabbering about pvp wont provide me with a answer
Not a single FOCK was given!!

Gyronamics's Avatar


Gyronamics
02.26.2013 , 07:25 AM | #9
Are you high?

Assault has a crock of **** when it comes to PVE abilities or even useful abilities.

Gunnery has everything it needs for PVE. Everything.

All the damage reduction, lower shield CD, heal boost, more damage reduction, more damage reduction is good because healers need to heal you a lot less.

Now give me one talent in the Assault tree that you call useful for a PVE raider.

They removed the shield CD reduction, removed the 15% heal CD reduction (and screwed the heal too) + the reserve powercell reduction (but since they screwed crit it would take longer now anyway).

Now there's nothing at all in Assault that benefits PVE worth a dam.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
02.26.2013 , 07:46 AM | #10
Ok....

Quote: Originally Posted by Damiam View Post
Well a few things.
A) You say running around spamming hammer shot, go check the amount of instant casts in AS and compare it to gunnery, then you will see assault specc is more mobile, + plasma cell will get a slow.
It's almost as though you didn't read my post where I stated that Assault was more mobile than Gunnery. I'm sure that isn't the case though right? My point about hammer shot was that mobility is NOT the be all and end all.


Quote:
B) Im trying to point out that despite BW wanting to make all speccs viable for pvp and pve, why does it seem that gunnery is built mainly for pvp? as i said earlier 25% of the talent points go into mitigation/utility talents (and no other class has to spend that many points on it). Honeslty I wish they would make 1 specc for pve dps and one for pvp dps.
Gunnery isn't built for PvP, it is being *improved* for PvP. It will remain strong in PvE, I'm sure. I'm glad they are not taking you up on your last point and making a PvE spec and a PvP spec. That would be boring.

Quote:
C) Are the new talents on pts final? if so i might aswell go assault specc for dps.
Now you're just being silly.

As for your last point, the changes were made primarily because of PvP, you can't discuss them without mentioning it. YOU are the one who said Assault is the PvP spec.

I don't see gunnery becoming worse for PvE (though we'll see if other classes have significantly improved making gunnery worse comparatively).
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol