Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on 2.0 changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Thoughts on 2.0 changes

Corran
02.24.2013 , 01:12 AM | #21
so what is the bottom line as the pts is right now? is the consensus that assassin tanks may not be viable?

as it was asking in general about jugg vs. assassin in fleet i got a lot of tells from healers who said they loathe healing assassin tanks. that's on live.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Kitru
02.24.2013 , 01:43 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
that's on live.
A bad Assassin/Shadow is going to be a *terrible* healing experience. A good Shad/Sin tank is going to be a healer's dream. Since a majority of people that play have no idea what they're doing, the average experience with a Shad/Sin tank tends to be the terrible. It's for a similar reason that VG tanks tend to have a very good reputation even though they're, mechanically, the weakest tanks: they're almost impossible to screw up and, as such, healers tend to think they're actually the best tank class.

From what I've seen of the changes, it looks like they're really trying to homogenize the tanks (which I find kind of strange since they were already *beautifully* balanced before while still maintaining discrete personality and functionality): they're bolstering VG CDs substantially and complicating their rotation a bit while adding some active mitigation, reducing Guardian CDs and bolstering their static mitigation and threat while simplifying their rotation, and normalizing Shadow incoming damage (Kinetic Bulwark to make up for KW dropping).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

periphelion
02.24.2013 , 02:07 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Overlap within CDs isn't really a big deal, since you can just make sure you don't use them simultaneously. Complaining about overlap would be like complaining that you get 2 copies of Resilience instead of just 1: they're *both* useful, even if they're not useful simultaneously.
I was referring to overlap in functionality, not in usage - since saber ward is already so amazing against weapon attacks, chances are that you will be using that and saving saber reflect for F/T situations - making the ranged portion of the cool down less important, though obviously still beneficial in specific circumstances.

NotRonin
02.24.2013 , 03:47 PM | #24
Going through my tanking logs on the PTS, it can be that Dark Bulwark is not working properly if you lose them too quickly.

Not sure if it's a combat log bug, but when I lose my darkward, I only gain Dark Bulwark once? Furthermore, my force regen from lightning reflex is 6? (and sometimes 1?) Things don't quite add up.

http://www.torparse.com/a/142733/9/0/Log

If dark Bulwark only goes up by 1 when you lose dark ward charges too quickly, then the cause of the 'spikiness' may be explained. Will need someone to open up the character box while tanking to test it out.

grallmate
02.24.2013 , 05:29 PM | #25
I've tried out the Guardian changes on PTS and I must say, I'm really liking it.

Rotation feels much more normal with all the important abilities being on a 12s CD. Just like on Live though, it feels really clunky if you aren't being attacked and really fluid if you are. Threat is much better, especially AoE. The 1+4 Guardian Slash and cheaper Cyclonic Sweeps makes it a lot easier, plus Saber Reflect for those pesky ranged mobs.

Mitigation felt alright in S&V. All I did was pull accuracy and alacrity off my gear in favor of shield and I didn't feel at all squishy, admittedly I was using my CDs proactively which I'd gotten used to on my Shadow so that may have helped. I definitely felt like I had a CD available whenever I wanted one, not that any of the fights we cleared were overly demanding on a tank.

I think the biggest thing I can say about it is that its made me decide to pull my Guardian tank out of retirement. Until now my Shadow just had an easier time with everything. That said, I haven't had a chance to test out my Shadow tanking on PTS yet and my VG is currently Assault specced but I'll respec her and try out VG PTS tanking as well over the next few days.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]