Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Palar
02.22.2013 , 11:09 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
While it would likely come off as homophobic/hetrophobic, I'd love the chat option of "Ick! No. No. No. Ewww. You're a boy/girl." because it would remind me of the SI scene of "It was me! Me! Me! Me!"
If they leave it open for interpretation, like "You? Get away from me..." or something, it could work. There's any number of reasons to throw that in an NPC's face, let our jerkass characters be jerkasses - keep some tastefulness about it, sure, but Darkside options should be just that.

As someone said earlier, open up the rest of the dialogue wheel - the left-side is just gathering dust. Gentle letdown, and crushing response both have their places.

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 11:22 PM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
If they leave it open for interpretation, like "You? Get away from me..." or something, it could work. There's any number of reasons to throw that in an NPC's face, let our jerkass characters be jerkasses - keep some tastefulness about it, sure, but Darkside options should be just that.

As someone said earlier, open up the rest of the dialogue wheel - the left-side is just gathering dust. Gentle letdown, and crushing response both have their places.
Oh! No. No. Don't want any darkside or lightside points for such a chat option. I'm thinking more of a fun/cute little dialogue option to have in there.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma
02.22.2013 , 11:32 PM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by darthkora View Post
I doubt it would be any trouble at all given that you can express a want through dialogue to slaughter not only your enemies but innocents who get in the way too among a whole host of other things. It should be remembered that the dialogue is a character choice, not a reflection of personal acceptance and discriminations in this context. That would solve a whole heap of trouble.
I'd agree with that except I've seen people argue black and blue that same sex relationships shouldn't be in this game because it'd be damaging for children (ignoring the torture, genocide, abuse and more that's already in the game). You're right, it should be remembered thusly... but that doesn't mean it will be.

This is why I say it's what I would consider to be the best compromise - removing the 'ew but you're a boy/girl/goat' option and replacing it with something more anomalous and less direct (something, say, that could imply it's the companion's gender, but could also be their species, their taste in music or their generally scabby nature) would be not only safer but more flexible.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Palar
02.22.2013 , 11:37 PM | #214
Oh! No. No. Don't want any darkside or lightside points for such a chat option. I'm thinking more of a fun/cute little dialogue option to have in there.
Fair point - if they open it up, that would leave some room for "in-between" choices. "Only a Sith deals in absolutes", as they say... while ignoring how that's an absolute.

DarthAeonis
02.23.2013 , 04:23 AM | #215
im just hopin my darkside SW male can find a nice juicy innnocent jedi padawan to corrupt and make his own :3 omg my life would finally be complete. and an ongoin relationship would be the coolest ever. especially in the rp department. but it would just be cool for bonus dialogue to occur during a story mission cuz ur in a relationship with ur companion.
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."

SithKoriandr
02.23.2013 , 04:26 AM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAeonis View Post
im just hopin my darkside SW male can find a nice juicy innnocent jedi padawan to corrupt and make his own :3 omg my life would finally be complete. and an ongoin relationship would be the coolest ever. especially in the rp department. but it would just be cool for bonus dialogue to occur during a story mission cuz ur in a relationship with ur companion.
Sadly, this just seems further off, as the SW has no male jedi to corrupt. :/
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

DarthAeonis
02.23.2013 , 04:38 AM | #217
Sadly, this just seems further off, as the SW has no male jedi to corrupt. :/
hence why im hoping Makeb or a future expansion will make my dreams come true one day.... le sigh...
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."

stuffystuffs
02.23.2013 , 01:08 PM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
This is why I say it's what I would consider to be the best compromise - removing the 'ew but you're a boy/girl/goat' option and replacing it with something more anomalous and less direct (something, say, that could imply it's the companion's gender, but could also be their species, their taste in music or their generally scabby nature) would be not only safer but more flexible.
I don't think "ew but you're a boy/girl" is necessarily bad/homophobic/whatever. It's not very tactful, for sure. What I would consider 'homophobic' would be "ew but you're a boy/girl and you suck b/c you like boys/girls".

Though, it would be problematic if, say, only male PCs could use the "ew but your'e a boy" line and only with male NPCs.

Tatile
02.23.2013 , 01:27 PM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I don't think "ew but you're a boy/girl" is necessarily bad/homophobic/whatever. It's not very tactful, for sure. What I would consider 'homophobic' would be "ew but you're a boy/girl and you suck b/c you like boys/girls".

Though, it would be problematic if, say, only male PCs could use the "ew but your'e a boy" line and only with male NPCs.
"Sorry, you're not my type" or "I'm not interested in you in that way, sorry. Can we still be friends?" should be options as friendly let downs for companions.

And the chat wheel thing? I'll try to find the post I made about it. Wish me luck, I could blast right through in my explosive archaeology.

Edit: Tis here - Action and Diplomacy Whee. Switch that up for romance conversations with "furthering" and "stopping" sides, giving you about six options on what you want to do (Flirt, Talk, Intimate or Kind Break Up, Mean Break Up, Non-committal Response.)
Probably wouldn't happen though.

SithKoriandr
02.23.2013 , 02:26 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post

My suggestion for it wasn't to be tactful, but more to be humorous. And it would be. And it could just be one of many options if one doesn't want to be serious.