Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Malak

Beniboybling
02.22.2013 , 05:48 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Malak had the Star Forge behind him and he still got owned, that's just weak.

And later he even admitted he was nothing, that's something a Sith Lord should never say. The non canon Dark Side ending is even more pathetic. Kun didn't admit defeat and still tried to get away when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, and Malak admitted he was nothing facing one Jedi,
That one Jedi being Revan, his former master whom had grown even stronger since there last confrontation.

And if finally accepting the truth is pathetic then so be it, but at least he was not in denial as Kun was that he could escape his inevitable destruction and that embracing the darkside was worth the rewards.

I thought the battle between Revan and Malak possessed immense gravitas and meaning and Malak's death was both satisfying yet saddening. I wouldn't have had it end any other way.

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 06:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
That one Jedi being Revan, his former master whom had grown even stronger since there last confrontation.

And if finally accepting the truth is pathetic then so be it, but at least he was not in denial as Kun was that he could escape his inevitable destruction and that embracing the darkside was worth the rewards.

I thought the battle between Revan and Malak possessed immense gravitas and meaning and Malak's death was both satisfying yet saddening. I wouldn't have had it end any other way.

True.

Except Kun did survive, just as he had planned. He did not plan for the Wall of Light that sealed him on the moon. But he waited thousands of years and then kicked (post Dark Empire) Luke's butt as a spirit.

Indeed. The final battle was most satisfying. Especially after Taris. But his final speech was very well done.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 06:22 PM | #13

Revan clearly could not handle thousands of Jedi at once. Actually our characters also kicked his *** in the Foundry.

Sith should be eager to kill and surpass their master, but Malak turned to a weak man in the end. A true Sith should try the best to fight back, at least not lose the spirit.

Beniboybling
02.22.2013 , 06:25 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Except Kun did survive, just as he had planned. He did not plan for the Wall of Light that sealed him on the moon. But he waited thousands of years and then kicked (post Dark Empire) Luke's butt as a spirit.
Ah yes, he waited a thousand years, planning his meticulous revenge, only to be trounced by a bunch of novices and the spirit of his own master. His 'plan' ended in failure. And even if he had survived the Wall of Light or Luke's Praxeum, his destruction at the hands of the Jedi Order was nigh inevitable.

This is what I don't like about Kun, for all his power and skill he achieved bantha poodoo, at least Malak accepted that.

Beniboybling
02.22.2013 , 06:27 PM | #15
Revan clearly could not handle thousands of Jedi at once. Actually our characters also kicked his *** in the Foundry.

Sith should be eager to kill and surpass their master, but Malak turned to a weak man in the end. A true Sith should try the best to fight back, at least not lose the spirit.
Your point being? Malak was one guy, not a thousand. He was also inferior to Revan. Yes Malak failed, but at least he accepted that. Kun just clung onto to life, refusing to admit he was a defeat.

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 06:28 PM | #16
Ah yes, he waited a thousand years, planning his meticulous revenge, only to be trounced by a bunch of novices and the spirit of his own master. His 'plan' ended in failure. And even if he had survived the Wall of Light or Luke's Praxeum, his destruction at the hands of the Jedi Order was nigh inevitable.

This is what I don't like about Kun, for all his power and skill he achieved bantha poodoo, at least Malak accepted that.
But he never admitted he was wrong, he never yield for defeat, that's what makes him a great Sith, Malak failed horribly.

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 06:31 PM | #17
Your point being? Malak was one guy, not a thousand. He was also inferior to Revan. Yes Malak failed, but at least he accepted that. Kun just clung onto to life, refusing to admit he was a defeat.
Kun didn't say "I am nothing" and yield when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, why did Malak do it when he lost to Revan? A Sith should contain the hunger to kill and surpass his/her master. Malak didn't make it even with the Star Forge behind him, he even lost the will in the end. That's all pathetic for a Sith.

Beniboybling
02.22.2013 , 06:35 PM | #18
But he never admitted he was wrong, he never yield for defeat, that's what makes him a great Sith, Malak failed horribly.
That's called stubborn idiocy, if he had admitted his defeat he could have done something for the Sith e.g. what Freedon Nadd did, impart his knowledge to a worthy successor. But he was too absorbed in his lust personal power to see the bigger picture. That's why he failed in life and that's why he failed in death - Bane would not have been impressed. Bane being a real Sith Lord, he realised is own existence was merely a component in a greater design, as such he actually achieved something. What did Kun achieve? Nada.

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 06:43 PM | #19

You forget that Luke Skywalker contributed to the final Wall of Light that sealed Exar Kun away. Of course Exar Kun didn't accomplish what he set out to do, but he did far more than Malak did.

But anyway, Malak accepted his defeat. In this sense, I believe that he was redeemed or, at least, on the brink.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 06:44 PM | #20
That's called stubborn idiocy, if he had admitted his defeat he could have done something for the Sith e.g. what Freedon Nadd did, impart his knowledge to a worthy successor. But he was too absorbed in his lust personal power to see the bigger picture. That's why he failed in life and that's why he failed in death - Bane would not have been impressed. Bane being a real Sith Lord, he realised is own existence was merely a component in a greater design, as such he actually achieved something. What did Kun achieve? Nada.
Nadd pretty much did the same thing, the only difference is the Jedi didn't create the wall of light to seal him off. Kun was facing thousands of Jedi at that time, he didn't have time to leave any descendents. He did leave more than Malak, Malak's empire was pretty much in chaos and crumbling before the Sith Triumvirate took over and Kun almost succeed to reemerge 4000 years later.