Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Charged Tax when bought cartel coins 2/20

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Charged Tax when bought cartel coins 2/20
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MrLeee
02.20.2013 , 06:20 PM | #1
I have previously bought the $19.99 2400 Cartel Coins and was only charged $19.99.

I bought another 2400 Cartel Coins on Feb.20th and I was charged $21.41.
$1.42 extra and in Tax

Why was I charged Tax all of a sudden? I live in Minnesota so I don't think I should be charged Tax?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Prefers blasters over hokey religions and ancient weapons.

MrLeee
02.21.2013 , 07:31 AM | #2
bump for any mods that can help me out please!

MrLeee
02.22.2013 , 10:56 AM | #3
Sooo does Customer Service even read these?

DLBoyd
02.25.2013 , 02:25 PM | #4
I use the $20 ea game cards to buy cartel coins. I have used a few in the past and was not charged any taxes. Then I went to buy some today and they added taxes so there was not enough to buy the coins.

I noticed it wants a zip code. If you google "states no sales tax" you will find there are six states that have no sales tax and if you then google the state name zip codes, you can get a list of zip codes for that state.....pick one.

MrLeee
03.06.2013 , 01:04 AM | #5
So in Minnesota we are supposed to report Online purchases that you make throughout the year so you can pay MN tax. ( Nobody does this, but we are "supposed" to do it.

Now that EA/BioWare is charging Tax on their digital stuff, I have to pay taxes for that item TWICE?!?!

How does that make any sense?

Beesodd
03.06.2013 , 03:31 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi MrLeee,

This is based on your state's tax rules, which may have changed recently.

There's a little bit more information in this post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...45#edit5924845

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

KalanYore
08.16.2013 , 02:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MrLeee View Post
I have previously bought the $19.99 2400 Cartel Coins and was only charged $19.99.

I bought another 2400 Cartel Coins on Feb.20th and I was charged $21.41.
$1.42 extra and in Tax

Why was I charged Tax all of a sudden? I live in Minnesota so I don't think I should be charged Tax?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
The effective date for the Marketplace Fairness Act 2013 that was being voted on in May 2013 is to be complied by as early as January 01, 2014; to charge sales tax rate based of your residence state that your state's Dept. of Revenue & Dept. of Regulatory established statues and not the physical locations where BioWare/EA/Disney is located of physical-presence to conduct commercial commerce that includes online transaction(s) of "all sales" of this new law...BUT! All of you need to check the online info "Marketplace Fairness Act Compliance" that states the 2 categories that defines (SSUTA) member states that there are currently 22 states that are SSUTA Full Member States and 2 states that are SSUTA Associate Member States that had voted to choose the options within compliance under this act while other states have either opted out or have suspended pursuant to being revised by your federal district court for your state...

http://www.marketplacefairness.org/compliance/

In Colorado according to the Dept of Regulatory on the position on internet sales tax that the physical presence rules continues to apply until our federal district court rules to revise our District of Colorado enforcement of this act and/or existing laws within my state.
As of April, 2013 that Bioware/EA/Disney is in gross violation to charge me sales tax on any transaction and subscription monthly rate and I have a valid grievance regarding contracts and commercial agreements for which it is violating the rule of law that is recognized by Common Law through "Without Prejudice" ;this term is sufficient/recognized in a commercial judiciary court to preserve your rights under UCC 1-207/1-308 and that of Remedy & Recourse...all contracts & commercial agreements between 2 or more parties have to consented to all agreements/offers in "FULL" disclosure and by reserving your rights and consummated by consent that bears your mark, signature and dated...any amendments to any contract and/or agreements needs to be drawn up that needs to again be consented to be legally binding w/ your mark, signature and date stamp UNLESS it was established in the original contract or agreement that you agree to the terms that had an "open" authority to add any amendments or disclosed or proposed terms at a later date....IF NOT! THEY ARE IN VIOLATION AND CAN BE SUED or CAN COME TO A SETTLEMENT THAT CAN SATISFY THE GRIEVANCE/COMPLAINT OF THE DAMAGED PARTY.
So, I am going to make a formal complaint to customer service that they are in violation at this point to charge me sales tax for Colorado as my state had suspended that enforcement as it is under review and to be revised until further notice until my state's federal district court makes a ruling... as for now the rules of physical-presence applies of commercial entities that conducts business or services within my state as a consumer and I am not a retailer that otherwise have to pay a sales taxes that the Dept. of Regulatory had established and/or voted in by our elected state officials and is enforced by the Dept. of Revenue to collect all sales taxes.

KalanYore
08.16.2013 , 03:21 PM | #8
I copied/pasted the 2 terms of the EA Terms Of Service & article 8: Paid Services; that pertains to my response and of course they had put into the language of the terms of the contract that is also a commercial agreement between EA & the Account Holder that is "us" that by agreement that "EA may modify the Terms of Service at any time."

LAST UPDATED: September 4, 2012

ELECTRONIC ARTS TERMS OF SERVICE

These Terms of Service and all supplemental terms, as amended from time to time,
govern your use of any online or mobile product or service to which you have
access, any product or service that requires an Internet connection or Origin
Account to access, install or play as well as any Origin Account you use to
access online or mobile products or services ("EA Services") offered by
Electronic Arts or any of its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, "EA")
for PC, game system or mobile device. If you reside in the United States, Canada
or Japan, these terms are an agreement between you and Electronic Arts Inc. If
you reside in any other country, then these terms are an agreement between you
and EA Swiss Sŕrl, a company registered in the Geneva Companies Registry with
company registration number: CH-660-2328005-8 and with offices at 8 Place du
Molard, 1204 Geneva, Switzerland. If additional terms and/or agreements apply to
the EA Service(s) used by you, those additional terms and/or agreements govern
your use of EA Services as well.

These Terms of Service, as well as EA’s Privacy Policy available at
privacy.ea.com (incorporated herein by reference) form legally binding contracts
between you and EA. By using EA Services, you affirm that you are at least 18
years of age (or have reached the age of majority if that is not 18 years of age
where you live) or that you have reviewed this Agreement with your parent or
guardian and he or she assents to these Terms of Service on your behalf and takes
full responsibility for your compliance with them. You agree that you and/or
your parent or guardian are fully able and competent to enter into the terms,
conditions, obligations, representations and responsibilities set forth in these
Terms of Service, and to abide and comply with these Terms of Service.
You agree to check terms.ea.com periodically for new information and terms that
govern your use of EA Services. EA may modify the Terms of Service at any time.
Revisions to terms affecting existing EA Services shall be effective thirty (30)
days after posting at terms.ea.com. Terms for new EA Services are effective
immediately upon posting at terms.ea.com.

8. Paid Services

Some EA Services require payment of a fee. You must have an Account and pay the
subscription or other fees to participate in these activities. For information
about subscription and other fees for particular services, visit help.ea.com,
support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™:
The Old Republic).
FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART.
EA reserves the right to change our fees or billing methods at any time. If you
pay a periodic (e.g. monthly) subscription for an EA Service, EA will provide you
with notice of any changes to the fees or billing methods at least thirty (30)
days in advance by posting such changes on the EA Service. You are responsible
for reviewing the EA Service to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your
continued use of the EA Service thirty (30) days or more after posting of the
changes means that you accept such changes. If any change is unacceptable to
you, you may cancel your subscription at any time, but EA will not refund any
fees that may have accrued to your Account before cancellation of your
subscription, and we will not prorate fees for any subscription. If your use of
EA Services is subject to use or sales tax, then EA may also charge you for any
such taxes, in addition to the subscription or other fees. For further
information, visit help.ea.com, support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or
swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™: The Old Republic).

As the Account holder, you are responsible for all charges incurred, including
applicable taxes, and all purchases made by you or anyone that uses your Account,
including your family or friends.