Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Banned for reporting spammers>?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Banned for reporting spammers>?

DariusRahl
12.20.2011 , 02:11 PM | #1
I was banned within about 2 hours of the official launch today and I didn't receive an email as to why. I submitted an online ticket asking about it but I didn't receive a response after 12 hours so I decided to call (I do understand they were probably closed but it was all I could think about.)

Fast forward an hour and a half on hold and a talk to a very nice supervisor later.

It seems I received a 24 hour ban for spamming. The problem with this is 1. I didn't do it.
2. I was playing during the time frame I was reported to have been doing it. 3. My password was not changed. & 4. I was banned for a spam message that I myself reported!

I reported 3 people for spamming me in whisper chat for a "Cash for Creds" and powerleveling website. As far as I can tell someone misread the chat logs and banned me instead. Which frankly seems odd because I could swear it was mostly an automated process. If it was an automation error WAY more people would have had this happen though.

So that's why I'm posting this. To see if anyone else has had this issue.

The idea that I was banned for reporting a spammers makes my MMO loving heart sink.

P.S. They cannot remove the ban while there investigating to see if this is really what happened so as of now I'm still unable to play.

RogDodge
12.20.2011 , 02:16 PM | #2
I wish there was a search function on the forums because I knew I saw something about this.

Basically they are banning the reporter instead of the spammer. They had also said that they were working on getting this fixed. The post I saw had the poster fixed around but that was before the CSR lines/e-mails became flooded with all the "problems".

I'll keep looking but I hope a CSR or Mod can help you out quick.

Noveske
12.20.2011 , 02:21 PM | #3
yes, I was also banned for reporting a gold spammer. It was corrected a few hours later after I replied to the CS incident email (got a ticket number) and posted about it on this forum.

I think there was a bug in the Report Spam function where it mixed up the names somehow.
Hopefully the bug has been addressed and fixed.

Zezel
12.20.2011 , 02:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RogDodge View Post
I wish there was a search function on the forums because I knew I saw something about this.

Basically they are banning the reporter instead of the spammer. They had also said that they were working on getting this fixed. The post I saw had the poster fixed around but that was before the CSR lines/e-mails became flooded with all the "problems".

I'll keep looking but I hope a CSR or Mod can help you out quick.
^
This, I saw that post also, another customer service failure as it should be on the launcher notifying players that "Report Spammers" is broken.

Talrol
12.20.2011 , 02:26 PM | #5
**Note to self** Deal with spammers/harrassers, do not use the report functions in game.

Roggtak
12.20.2011 , 02:32 PM | #6
...so we should just resist the urge to report spammers (hard to resist, I know )? Maybe putting them on the 'ignore' list is a temporary solution, until it is confirmed to be fixed.
"There's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

DariusRahl
12.20.2011 , 02:47 PM | #7
It's good to hear this stuff, I was FUMING in my head before I could vent it here.

The worst part of it though, I didn't get banned because of a erroneous computer error as much as I got banned for going out of my way to stop the thing I was banned for.

If you've read this far and have had this happen to you please replay with at least a "me too" I don't think this is happening to a lot of people but I want it to get the attention it deserves.

I really hope they make a post that its fixed or I'll never feel comfortable flagging a spammer again. And that's bad for both me and TOR.

DariusRahl
12.20.2011 , 03:06 PM | #8
Also I found the old post.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=46572

(not really familiar with forum edict if there is a better way to link posts let me know.)

DariusRahl
12.21.2011 , 12:05 AM | #9
So As far as i can tell it's been 24 hours and i still cant play, ill admit though the phone rep was a little fuzzy on the time zones so maybe i need to wait another hour.