Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvE Guide to the Lethality Sniper by B'oard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Imperial Agent > Sniper
PvE Guide to the Lethality Sniper by B'oard

paowee
02.16.2013 , 05:23 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by ontee View Post
damm... this is hard...

dps is around ~1900

http://www.torparse.com/a/134487 (last log)

i don't use SS and only rakata adrenal
relics are DG internal proc and EWH

stats are with rakata stim and all buffs:
cun 2334
pow 831
crit 336 (40.96/39.99)
sur 285 (75.82)

should i do more dps in these stats? if use less RS and more LS or ambush i run out of energy insantly.

rotation opener: OS - IP - arenal - CG - CD - AP - Cull - EP - SoS - RS - Cull - RS
then i continue with IP - CG - RS - CD - (RS) - Cull - (EP) - SoS - RS - Cull
when OS is off cooldown: IP - CG - RS - CD - Cull - OS - RS - RS - Cull
imo you are doing fine! just practice more. Wales' put it exactly right with this :

Quote:
[...] Lethality [...] comes down to a lot of split second decisions about what to do next based on current energy levels, which may change depending on how many crits occurred. Any kind of one size fits all rotation is going to be slightly non-optimal compared to making the right decision at any given time based on just experience and more practice.
I found out that if you try to do AT THE MOST, 3 Rifle Shots only (the fewer the better) per CG - CD - Cull - X - X - Cull, that should raise up your DPS a bit. But you are on the right track I think..

NOTE:

For every CG - CD do:

--------1) 2 Culls
--------2) at most 3 RS only
--------3) When AP is up try to use all your filler abilities

I've started to count my RS and make sure i only do at most 3 for every CG - CD - Cull rotation. This will ofcourse depend on luck with your DoT crits. Haven't parsed a lot yet due to RL but it is something worth a try. If you have AP you might be able to afford not using RS at all. Take every opportunity, when AP is up, to use all your filler abilities e.g. Ambush, Lazed Snipe, SoS, Orbital if available, and having the armor debuff up on your main target. IP, CG, CD, 2 Culls are mandatory of course.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
02.16.2013 , 11:05 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by ontee View Post

rotation opener: OS - IP - arenal - CG - CD - AP - Cull - EP - SoS - RS - Cull - RS
then i continue with IP - CG - RS - CD - (RS) - Cull - (EP) - SoS - RS - Cull
when OS is off cooldown: IP - CG - RS - CD - Cull - OS - RS - RS - Cull
A good way to increase your DPS, if your gear can pull it off (among other things) is if you can squeeze an SoS in place of RS in your OS rotation. IP - CG - RS - CD - Cull - SoS - OS - RS - Cull

Hope this helps!

Khevar
02.21.2013 , 04:12 PM | #73
I recently switched from Marksmanship to Hybrid and I'm having a bit of trouble with the energy regen.

I was following along with the youtube videos with an identical rotation, and I keep ending up with less energy starting from the third ability on.

Now, I'm in the habit of pre-queing the next ability while the gcd is running, so there is no delay whatsoever.

When you're running that rotation, and the next ability is up, do you tend to wait a moment before firing it? Like if energy is at 68%, do you wait a tick, see it pop to 72% and then fire?

paowee
02.21.2013 , 06:13 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I recently switched from Marksmanship to Hybrid and I'm having a bit of trouble with the energy regen.

I was following along with the youtube videos with an identical rotation, and I keep ending up with less energy starting from the third ability on.

Now, I'm in the habit of pre-queing the next ability while the gcd is running, so there is no delay whatsoever.

When you're running that rotation, and the next ability is up, do you tend to wait a moment before firing it? Like if energy is at 68%, do you wait a tick, see it pop to 72% and then fire?
You have to squeeze in Rifle Shots when necessary. The rotation (pictures) is more of a guide for what abilities to use next. Prioritized over these is Rifle Shot when you are going to dip down below optimum energy levels. It will depend on your DoT crits if you need to use Rifle Shot more or less.

Try doing: IP - CG - RS - CD - RS - Cull. 2 Rifle Shots (assuming you start with ~100% energy bar) will be enough to keep you at the high energy bracket.

Khevar
02.21.2013 , 07:45 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
You have to squeeze in Rifle Shots when necessary. The rotation (pictures) is more of a guide for what abilities to use next. Prioritized over these is Rifle Shot when you are going to dip down below optimum energy levels. It will depend on your DoT crits if you need to use Rifle Shot more or less.

Try doing: IP - CG - RS - CD - RS - Cull. 2 Rifle Shots (assuming you start with ~100% energy bar) will be enough to keep you at the high energy bracket.
Well, here's the funny part. I've been watching the youtube videos to try to understand the difference between my rotation and yours and where your energy is at as each ability is activated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylXi...ature=youtu.be
IP -> 85%
CG -> 72%
RS -> 81%
CD -> 73%
Cull -> 55%
SoS -> 51%
SS -> 69%
RS -> 82%
Cull -> 70%
RS -> 84%
(by the end of the RS gdc, energy has gone back to 100%)
IP -> 85%

Here's a general idea of what happens when I try it:
IP -> 85%
CG -> 72%
RS -> 79%
CD -> 69%
Cull -> 51%
SoS -> 43%

and by this time I'm toast as I've dropped too low.

When I trigger my abilities, I "queue" them up. I have that setting on the Action Queue - 1.0 seconds. So while the gcd is running, I'll hotkey my next ability so that it instantly fires the moment the previous one is finished.

But perhaps that is the problem. So I was wondering if maybe you don't do this. It might look like this:
IP -> 85%
CG -> 72%
RS -> 79% (wait a moment and energy regens to 81%)
CD -> 73%
Cull -> 53% (wait a moment and energy regens to 55%)
SoS -> 51%

etc.

See, I watched the 5 minute video of your rotation. Without using AP or TA, it looks as if that rotation is pretty much infinitely sustainable. So it is odd to me that I would go below yours within the first 18 seconds.

Am I on the right track?

This is my current gear: AMR

paowee
02.21.2013 , 08:09 PM | #76
Was your gear optimized for MM? I see you are running too low a crit chance (220 Crit Rating). Some people can pull it off and still do great DPS like Akopra (check torparse for his logs). I suggest you try running with 300 Crit Rating. I myself run 346 Crit Rating (the parses in the OP for example). Lethality, especially Hybrid is dependend on your DoTs to crit for energy regen. Without the right RS (and crit to some extent), it might be harder for a newcomer to the spec, to pull Hybrid off.

Quote:
Here's a general idea of what happens when I try it:
IP -> 85%
CG -> 72%
RS -> 79%
CD -> 69%
Cull -> 51%
SoS -> 43%
and by this time I'm toast as I've dropped too low.
Lethality [...] comes down to a lot of split second decisions about what to do next based on current energy levels, which may change depending on how many crits occurred. Any kind of one size fits all rotation is going to be slightly non-optimal compared to making the right decision at any given time. In your case above, you should've used RS when you can predict that CD - Cull is going to dip you below optimum energy levels. Having enough Crit will help you in this aspect as well.

(The parse / videos we're made with 300-346 Crit Rating).

Also the setup before Cull requires a lot of energy. You normally, (if unlucky with dot crits) will do 2 RS before Cull. Your rotation above used only 1. Coupled with a low crit rating, you definitely will run out of energy. My energy in the rotation you posted above is most likely that hight because my DoTs crit, thus giving me energy back.

As a final note: A rotation that is less energy intensive, but will also do less DPS is this one,

IP - RS - CG - RS - CD - Cull. You can switch around the RS anywere along the line but using 2 RS before your 1st Cull should give you enough energy back. Try it out also with more crit rating and you should be able to run this ~infintely.

Khevar
02.21.2013 , 10:27 PM | #77
Wow, that actually helped a lot. I haven't yet tweaked my crit rating (I want to get my BH Implant with crit/accuracy before getting any more mods)

But just keeping that fact in mind, I see that when I'm not lucky with my crits, all I have to do is add in an extra RS when needed. The funny thing is, I've read that several times in this thread but it didn't really become crystal clear until I wrestled with it directly.

So I can do the simple/sustainable now consistently. I'll add in OS, get familiar with that, then work on the max dps one.

Thanks.

NoTomorrow
02.24.2013 , 05:10 PM | #78
When are we seeing this guide updated to 2.0?
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

paowee
02.24.2013 , 10:39 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
When are we seeing this guide updated to 2.0?
Not until PTS goes LIVE(ish).

blackishaan
03.12.2013 , 05:24 PM | #80
Firstly, I'd like to give major thanks for putting this guide out, it really has improved the way I play my sniper not just on the Ops Dummy but in raids itself. I do have a question regarding augment kits. Now, in various forums people implore that it's main stat when it comes to the Sniper augments but I've yet to see them compare it to the crit rating. For instance my crit rating sits at 350 (lethality/engineering hybrid build), so does the extra crit from my main stat really matter after that high of a crit chance? I'm quite sure power would be the way to go after that but I'd like to hear different opinions.