Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

Khevar
02.19.2013 , 03:38 PM | #41
This quote surprised me:
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiramu View Post
I dislike when healers try to DPS instead of watching health bars. Healer DPS is so pitiful, you might as well stand and wait for healing to be done instead. ...
As an optimized Sage healer, I have a tremendous amount of willpower and power on my gear. I can do a LOT of dps following a simple rotation of TK Throw / Disturbance / Project, even if it is marvelously inefficient as far as force management goes.

Gear optimization for a healer tends to be main stat + power, same as a dps. Any highly geared healer can do plenty of damage.

That said, when I show up in a group as a healer, one of three things happen during fights:

1. Everything goes great, and I have plenty of time to dps in between heals, so I do so.
2. Things are hectic, so I might just keep a Weaken Mind DoT up and the occasional TK Wave, but mostly heal.
3. Things are ouchy-bad, so I focus purely on keeping the group alive and don't dps at all.

Themanthatisi
02.21.2013 , 02:22 PM | #42
My wife had issues laying off the trigger as a healer... it took many times of yelling over the phone that if I die, so will you (we use the phones to talk while we play)... Well, she complained about it but when she finially stopped and realized just us 2 can handle heroic 4's, she realized I was right and has controlled her impulse to kill. I tell her when its ok to jump in, or she will jump in too soon and we die...

She just loves to see herself throw lightning around and once she starts we are dead ducks in a H4 or FP lol.

Now, she loves healing.... Maybe some people just do not understand how a team works. A pitcher pitches, a catcher catches and so on... We are both new to the MMO world, so we both had learing to do... like me trying to use a DPS to tank until I learned, in these games, we have a roll to fill when it comes to group play....

I bet many others just need to be shown the proper ways to function on a team in their roll. This game probably has a higher number of non MMO players in it than the usual, due to it being Star Wars and the game does have a stong appeal to traditional RPG players and "we" usually only know how to play solo.

Cleet_Xia
02.21.2013 , 05:00 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
This quote surprised me:

As an optimized Sage healer, I have a tremendous amount of willpower and power on my gear. I can do a LOT of dps following a simple rotation of TK Throw / Disturbance / Project, even if it is marvelously inefficient as far as force management goes.

Gear optimization for a healer tends to be main stat + power, same as a dps. Any highly geared healer can do plenty of damage.

That said, when I show up in a group as a healer, one of three things happen during fights:

1. Everything goes great, and I have plenty of time to dps in between heals, so I do so.
2. Things are hectic, so I might just keep a Weaken Mind DoT up and the occasional TK Wave, but mostly heal.
3. Things are ouchy-bad, so I focus purely on keeping the group alive and don't dps at all.
That pretty much sums it up. And it pretty much holds true no matter if your going for a traditional crit/surge gearing or a power/alacrity approach.

If as a sage I take Concentration in the TK tree & drop Project from the dps rotation ~ The TK Throw & disturbance casts have a barely noticeable effect on my force management.

And if I find myself in a group with two fresh 50 dps players ~ we will hit enrage timers if I don't dps between heals.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

azurefrog
02.26.2013 , 08:04 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
3. Pushback messes up healing a lot. If your healers are getting torn to pieces by adds, they have no choice but to dps and heal themselves. If you're expecting the DPS players to take care of the adds, and they are not, you better expect to use your defensive CDs on rotation. If you find that the DPS are heading straight to the target your tanking in every fight, keep a close watch on your healer ~ or you won't get any healing.
This.

A thousand times this.

When DPS are focusing on whatever the tank is attacking and leaving a pile of trash to attack me, I am
going to kill the trash or I am not going to live, and dead healers do even less healing than DPSing healers.

Daragon
02.27.2013 , 05:28 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by azurefrog View Post
This.

A thousand times this.

When DPS are focusing on whatever the tank is attacking and leaving a pile of trash to attack me, I am
going to kill the trash or I am not going to live, and dead healers do even less healing than DPSing healers.
I'll add another thousand times to that as well, unless dps and tank are doing their jobs your healers not going to get a chance to heal you because they'll be too busy trying to keep themselves alive. Just so people don't think think i'm biased i'll admit there are healers/dps and tanks out there that have no clue what they're doing (and often then blame everyone else but themselves for the failure).

To the original point though it entirely depends on circumstance, what strength mob your fighting, what level, what gear you have, what classes your group's made up of. Example i ran a lvl50 FP the other week with a tank and dps companion and two heal players off-dpsing. That worked far better than the useless tank and dps players we started with who didn't know what target priority even meant when we told them what they were doing wrong. Probably didn't help that the guardian tank didn't have soresh form up, was guarding no one and had several k less health than me a squishy seer sage with nothing more than tionese level gear on /RantOver.