Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

Vesaniae
02.20.2013 , 02:30 PM | #521
@Bright, I am loving the Vierce AU, and Lodestone is always d'aw.

Now, here is one of several possible endings for The AU That Wouldn't Di--I mean, the Switchbladeverse.

NotLP - Sacrifice. Spoilers for some general Sith Warrior chapter 3 stuff. Note that this is but one of several possibilities. Nothing is set in stone. A thousand streams can diverge from a single river.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

kabeone
02.20.2013 , 02:47 PM | #522
@Ves I love it!

@bright yay cuteness and Wynston getting punched in the face!

Edit to add: I wonder if Wynston ever wondered why the Empire had not managed to build something like Coruscant, if the Empire was so perfect. (They can't they can only take it and then break it in their efforts to "perfect" it.)

Double Edit because I can: I don't mean to say that Wynston thinks the Empire is perfect. I'm pretty sure he's aware that it's not. Just that he thinks that Coruscant would be better under the Empire.

iamthehoyden
02.20.2013 , 03:07 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Edit to add: I wonder if Wynston ever wondered why the Empire had not managed to build something like Coruscant, if the Empire was so perfect. (They can't they can only take it and then break it in their efforts to "perfect" it.)
Good point, kabe, cause the Empire would.

Ves, interesting twist there.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Striges
02.20.2013 , 08:38 PM | #524
I'd have to guess it's a combination of population and history. The Empire is much much younger than the Republic or Nar Shaddaa even this early in SW history. It's also more remote, being based on the rim as opposed to in the core. I don't think the Empire has as many people in it (even including the slave population) as the Republic as a whole. Dromund Kaas could potentially develop that way given enough time.

Then there's the whole Sith infighting thing--their paranoia and constant destroying each other isn't conducive to extensive urban development.

Fun episode, btw. I really liked Wynston questioning the withdrawal from the Imperial perspective. There's been some examination on Republic side, but little on the other. I wish we saw more of it.

@ Ves: Interesting ending. You also have a good point in your title--there are lots of ways this story could go. I did like the way you did the last section.

kabeone
02.20.2013 , 09:06 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
I'd have to guess it's a combination of population and history. The Empire is much much younger than the Republic or Nar Shaddaa even this early in SW history. It's also more remote, being based on the rim as opposed to in the core. I don't think the Empire has as many people in it (even including the slave population) as the Republic as a whole. Dromund Kaas could potentially develop that way given enough time.

Then there's the whole Sith infighting thing--their paranoia and constant destroying each other isn't conducive to extensive urban development.
I was thinking more along the lines of species diversity and dense population of aliens that are not slaves. It's true given the desire and enough slaves Dromund Kaas could eventually become an ecumenopolis (I learned that word from you) though the weather and much larger surface area might also be a challenge for that particular planet.

Striges
02.20.2013 , 09:40 PM | #526
I was thinking more along the lines of species diversity and dense population of aliens that are not slaves. It's true given the desire and enough slaves Dromund Kaas could eventually become an ecumenopolis (I learned that word from you) though the weather and much larger surface area might also be a challenge for that particular planet.
Ah. See here I was going all literal on you. In this case: build.

bright_ephemera
02.21.2013 , 09:01 AM | #527
Ee, Ves, hell of a reversal. It really drives home was K'hera was so terrified of all along.

kabe,
Spoiler

Also some rambling about flowers:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Striges
02.22.2013 , 09:40 PM | #528
Rixik and Kirya, Uncharted Territory

Prompt: Working out the Kinks

Title: The Meeting (part one)

I guess one advantage to providing the weekly prompt is that I can make sure to get one last entry in before it changes. This occurs after behind the scenes. It is also very long, so I split it into two parts. The last one fits nicely for the new prompt.

Spoilers, large and small, for Smuggler storyline.

Spoiler

Prompt: Enemies

Title: The Meeting (part two)

This is the last part, flowing directly from the previous story.
Spoiler

Striges
02.22.2013 , 09:43 PM | #529
*checks watch* Well, the prompt train has arrived at the station. We’ve had Allies, so let’s have a bit of the opposite. New prompt:

Enemies, Rivals, and Nemeses Everyone has them. Each class story hands you a number of them, and we create more in our Legacies. So, how does your character deal with his or her enemies--quick death, public humiliation, something else? What about rivals, professional or otherwise? Does your character dream of destroying them or use them as motivation to exceed? Is there a nemesis lurking in the wings somewhere? Tell us about it!

Or catch the commuter bus with the prompt archive. Always ready, inexpensive, affordable, scenic views of past prompts. Perhaps you’ll find something inspiring there instead.

Kitar
02.25.2013 , 01:21 AM | #530
I am sorry it has taken a while to post a response. It recently occurred to me that not only am I a habitual lurker but I'm also a socially inept lurker.

A huge thank you for the warm reception and kind words. I always worry no one is going to like what I write.
I have another one, it takes place the morning after my first story. It popped into my head after Stirges' comment about the credit stick.

Prompt: NotLP Health
Features Trooper companion Aric.

It is about 2.3k words, a bit long but still short for me.

Spoiler