Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
02.20.2013 , 11:15 AM | #1181
Great solution! Thank you Bioware.

I agree with IceHawk.
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Great solution; now sticky this at the top of the forum and leave the bolded part bolded or else this entirely positive and very welcome gesture will cause more problems when ROTHC hits.
....
The "50% reduction until ROTHC hits" part needs to be remembered!
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Heezdedjim's Avatar


Heezdedjim
02.20.2013 , 11:24 AM | #1182
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.
Not sure how the math will exactly work out on this, but it sounds like it will be reasonable. Thank you!

Kiniski's Avatar


Kiniski
02.20.2013 , 11:34 AM | #1183
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
This is great to hear. Especially after spending a but* load last night on many Xeno HMs.

My only concern is people's reaction after the 50% discount. You're going to lower them, then giving a 50% discount on top of that making repairs really cheap for a while. But when that discount ends I can see people freaking out about them going up again.

But overall happy with the response.
I don't think so, because is obvious a temporal discount, I'm happy if only they fix the problem, the 50% is not necessary from my point of view, may be only to recapitalize for a while, but is not like a necessary action.

TheIrage's Avatar


TheIrage
02.20.2013 , 11:36 AM | #1184
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Additionally, wed like to apologize for the inconvenience that we introduced.

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.
Thank you for your response. I am glad you decided to revise the changes in a timely fashion.

I have to warn you however about your generous offer of reducing the cost by 50% from now until the release of the next expansion. As thankful as I am, depending on when the next expansion hits, it may backfire on you. Relatively thinking, we will see the repair cost increase by 2X. Now, overall the case can be made the total cost would be affordable, but the increase may be enough to set up alarms.

May I suggest if possible to adapt this offering in a different scheme? Specifically, something that does not involve a drastic change in a negative direction in a 3 month + future. Perhaps a permanent change ( say 10--20%) or Free repairs for the next maintenance cycle and gradual increases every cycle there after( say 10-20%).

Again though, thanks for addressing this issue.

Cindron's Avatar


Cindron
02.20.2013 , 11:43 AM | #1185
Thanks for the change, the game just got healthier. Well done.
It is easy to be brave from a distance.

Skiggity's Avatar


Skiggity
02.20.2013 , 11:56 AM | #1186
Excellent, glad to hear it. Please do yourselves a favor and PUBLICIZE these changes loudly, otherwise folks will simply be happy when prices are half off without knowing why and then get furious again when they go up!

ClexMix's Avatar


ClexMix
02.20.2013 , 12:01 PM | #1187
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
You claim that people who are now paying what others have been paying all along are paying 10x what they were before. The logical corollary is that these people were paying 10x less than what everyone else was at the time.

As I have yet to see evidence of change to repair costs for lower level characters, I refute at least a portion of your question. End Game gear, its unreasonable to expect people to pay different repair prices based on whether or not they wear social gear.
You must have never been a tank in a WoW progression guild then. I would pay near 2-3k per death (10% durability loss) being in full plate armor and having a shiled with high armor and a weapon. Compared to a clothie paying only 800+ with the same item level gear. Most guilds help their tanks with repair costs more so than dps because even without dying they are always getting hit which wears on ghe durability. So yes even in this game there are people paying more.

But its cool you think your opinion is fact.

Elyxin's Avatar


Elyxin
02.20.2013 , 12:11 PM | #1188
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Additionally, wed like to apologize for the inconvenience that we introduced.

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.
Thx Jov, this is very much appreciated. though Im still frustrated with the cause of this situation, this was an impressive response. Thank you.

This could have been caught if we had the chance to test on a PTR...and probably would have never gotten to live. Im sure you guys had a reason to push out a patch without external testing, but I hope this is a good reminder to you that PTR's (and player feedback) are really, like real world, really important. we get lip service to that from you all the time...but here's a good reason why you need to get us involved, and not just trust your metrics or your lab tests. I've found from experience (I work in network too, and i deal with a lab team all the time) that labs =/= live network. plz make sure moving forward that you engage us as a community in testing these things before you drop them on us in a live environment.

Sameria's Avatar


Sameria
02.20.2013 , 12:23 PM | #1189
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyxin View Post
Thx Jov, this is very much appreciated. though Im still frustrated with the cause of this situation, this was an impressive response. Thank you.

This could have been caught if we had the chance to test on a PTR...and probably would have never gotten to live. Im sure you guys had a reason to push out a patch without external testing, but I hope this is a good reminder to you that PTR's (and player feedback) are really, like real world, really important. we get lip service to that from you all the time...but here's a good reason why you need to get us involved, and not just trust your metrics or your lab tests. I've found from experience (I work in network too, and i deal with a lab team all the time) that labs =/= live network. plz make sure moving forward that you engage us as a community in testing these things before you drop them on us in a live environment.
This has been the biggest thing that disappoints me about the way BW handles testing. PTR is there for a reason but it is underutilized.
Karisa - Carnek - Karise - Ethria - Elisy - Kodo - Sameria
R E I G N

Sith Empire - PvE ♦ PvP ♦ RP-lite
Official Guild Website

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
02.20.2013 , 12:29 PM | #1190
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi everyone,
Leaving us hanging on this for 5 days was a bad move. Not only is it viewed as bad customer service, but it's just bad business. You guys need to start getting out in front of issues like this. Be proactive, not reactive.

It probably would have also been smart to more carefully scrutinize the code that calculates repair costs. It honestly sounds like one person's dumb mistake caused this whole mess.

You ultimately made the right decision on how to handle this. Now let's see how you implement it. If I were you, I'd post frequent warnings that repair costs will be going back up at the end of the 50% discount. I would also strongly consider phasing out the discount slowly. Raise it by 10 percentage points per week leading up to RotHC, for example. Players will be able to get used to the new costs and every week prices rise, it means we are one week closer to the expansion.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.