Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"grd plz"

slafko
02.18.2013 , 06:40 AM | #71
If it's the International Day of Stating the Obvious, I'm sorry - but I didn't get the memo. And I'm not even going to ask why you felt the need to start explaining the stats to me. Let's get back on topic.

Maelicbod
02.18.2013 , 04:29 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post
He was talking about using DPS armoring/hilt/barrel and power crystal on a tank. A competent tank doesn't need any DPS gear, and I used the shadow as an example. About the "caps", they are just urban legend for the tanks. The point of gearing a tank is finding a good compromise between the different bosses but, most of the time, gearing for the hardest boss.

Every single boss is different in term of mitigation, and they all have a different BiS stats. Defense, Shield and Absorption are useless against Kephess the Undying but you need them against The Terror From Beyond.
A tank without using those things requires using taunt in their rotation to hold aggro against top end DPS, a tank with them does not while requiring no additional healing but dealing more damage. If anyone believes the additional ~2k hp you gain from using high END armoring/hilt/barrel/crystals, then that is the way you should play. The difference in performance is so negligible that it borders on moot. I personally do not feel that the increase in TkT self-heals outweighs the freedom to hold back taunts and allow my dps to go crazy a little earlier, purely personal preference. Though the lower health (25.1k) would require me to adjust my gear if I ever chose to move into 16M content, those who stack more END would not.

Soft caps are not urban legend, just a point at which DR make it more advantageous to look elsewhere to invest points. The fact that some Ops Bosses favor M/R over F/T attacks (or vice versa) is really independent of the "point of gearing a tank" which also does not largely change based upon who the hardest boss is. Tanks realized since SOA that it can be advantageous to carry a set of DPS gear (even PVP gear) for bosses that are completely F/T, but this doesn't alter the philosophy of developing a tank. The variety of bosses doesn't serve to require any change in gear management but serves as an avenue of mastery of other cooldowns/abilities that cover for when gear fails.

darthtrunkmonkey
02.18.2013 , 04:55 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
With the amount of bad tanks in fp's, I would ask for a guard immediately as a dps too. Maybe he didn't realize you were geared and/or didn't see the title that confirms you are an experienced tank. I've seen plenty of tanks who seemed geared due to having some dread guard gear due to legacy smuggling. Heck, I have a healer at lvl 38 who is going to be full black hole/campaign once he reaches 50, but that doesn't make me a good healer.
this explains everything.

Tanks of any caliber need to understand that there's a bad ratio right now of bad tanks over good tanks. Tanks that don't notice this fall into the bad category, for 1 reason only. Situation awareness, and not the current situation at the time. It's the overall situation of the current tanks.

You may be the best tank in the game but not all dps or healers know this. You as the tank should know by now you cant assume everyone knows that your the best.

You cant claim you've teamed with everyone that's ever had a level 50 in your HM flashpoints. Its numerically not possible.

CommanderKeeva
02.18.2013 , 05:12 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by RandomXChance View Post
This happens all the time, but this one really made me laugh. Using my full Dread Guard Assasin tank with the Warstalker title. Right at the start of the FP a DPS in Columi and the healer both pop out "grd plz". Good thing people try and keep the flashpoints entertaining.
I had the exact opposite today. I was healing a random hm on my fully optimized DG-geared Scoundrel. The tank was in level40+ leveling gear and so was the shadow DPS he insisted on guarding. I kept ripping aggro off him purely with my heals, so I asked for a guard. He refused each time, stating that only the melee DPS should be guarded. Funny how it can go the other way around.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Khevar
02.18.2013 , 05:19 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
I had the exact opposite today. I was healing a random hm on my fully optimized DG-geared Scoundrel. The tank was in level40+ leveling gear and so was the shadow DPS he insisted on guarding. I kept ripping aggro off him purely with my heals, so I asked for a guard. He refused each time, stating that only the melee DPS should be guarded. Funny how it can go the other way around.
Ouch.

I don't get how someone misses the quest that leads to by the nose to the free Tionese gear. What did he say when you asked him about the gear?

Edit: Actually, now I wonder how you managed to not hit enrage on boss fights. Was the other dps carrying the fights? Or did you have to dps on the side as well?

Quenexius
02.19.2013 , 10:48 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Ouch.

I don't get how someone misses the quest that leads to by the nose to the free Tionese gear. What did he say when you asked him about the gear?
He may have full inventory stocked with tionese ore other purple endgame gear. But he cant use it because he is F2P, and stupid enough to not find the way to got money for buying authorization on GTN.

Quote:
Actually, now I wonder how you managed to not hit enrage on boss fights. Was the other dps carrying the fights? Or did you have to dps on the side as well?
How many percents of HP is ripped of Boss's body by tank usually?

wetslampigduex
02.19.2013 , 11:05 AM | #77
As OP said, a sin in DG gear. He doesn't need to guard anything esp in a FP. They have so much aoe a KB and a pull. I can't think of one pull in the game where a sin cant round up every mob. TBH on my sin i try to go thru FP's without using taunt's never mind a guard.

TwoLekku
02.19.2013 , 11:30 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
As OP said, a sin in DG gear. He doesn't need to guard anything esp in a FP. They have so much aoe a KB and a pull. I can't think of one pull in the game where a sin cant round up every mob. TBH on my sin i try to go thru FP's without using taunt's never mind a guard.
Agree. As a DPS, i don't need a guard unless i earn it

Khevar
02.19.2013 , 12:04 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Quenexius View Post
... How many percents of HP is ripped of Boss's body by tank usually?
I asked because he mentioned both the tank and one dps was in leveling 40s gear.

Heezdedjim
02.19.2013 , 05:15 PM | #80
There are two types of guard beggars: (1) those who are pathetically undergeared, have no idea what their job is, or how to do it, and blame everyone else for their fail; and (2) those who are stupidly overgeared and think they're god's gift to the PUG.

DPS that have no gear and no skill don't need guard, if they're shooting what they're supposed to, because they have no hope of pulling off a competent tank ever. DPS that run in before the tank, pull adds, shoot CC, and have no idea what their aggro dump ability is even called are not going to be saved by guard. Those who know their job and how to do it, and who are geared enough to actually pull off a target that a tank means to hold aggro on, do not need guard to take whatever hits they get.

So if the first words out of your mouth are "guard me," then that just tells me that you suck, or you're trying to pimp strut your roxxor stats. That means you don't need it, or you don't deserve it. Either way, you're not getting it.