Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.19.2013 , 03:25 PM | #1121
So I decided to try a flash point last night on my now 37th level Shadow tank. But I decided not to tank so I cleared that checkbox and queued as DPS. (Aside: I cannot for the life of me figure out how people say the game mis-assigns them. it's never happened to me!)

Anyway, i get my group instantly and I see it's in progress. Uh oh. I double check that I'm flagged as DPS in the tool and I accept and travel.

First fight in, I know it's trouble.

After the second fight in, I post, "Sorry guys, this won't be worth the repair bills." and /leave.

I could have helped them. I could have taught them the fights and the strategies and shown them the optional skips. I could have flipped over to tanking or even just used more of my tanking skills to keep the adds off the healer because the tank was clearly not capable of doing that. I could have done a lot of things to make that run and possibly future runs for those 3 other players better.

But, repair bills being what they are, my decision was clear.

Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Lium's Avatar


Lium
02.19.2013 , 03:29 PM | #1122
I'm not trying to disagree with anyone but I haven't noticed the increase. It's so easy to make credits in this game that I just click Repair All and carry on with my business. Not saying it's not an issue, just that I haven't noticed it.

Then again my 50s are only in BM gear so I assume the people this affects are in BiS.

Eldrenath's Avatar


Eldrenath
02.19.2013 , 03:33 PM | #1123
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
So I decided to try a flash point last night on my now 37th level Shadow tank. But I decided not to tank so I cleared that checkbox and queued as DPS. (Aside: I cannot for the life of me figure out how people say the game mis-assigns them. it's never happened to me!)

Anyway, i get my group instantly and I see it's in progress. Uh oh. I double check that I'm flagged as DPS in the tool and I accept and travel.

First fight in, I know it's trouble.

After the second fight in, I post, "Sorry guys, this won't be worth the repair bills." and /leave.

I could have helped them. I could have taught them the fights and the strategies and shown them the optional skips. I could have flipped over to tanking or even just used more of my tanking skills to keep the adds off the healer because the tank was clearly not capable of doing that. But, repair bills being what they are, my decision was clear.

Yep. This is true. I usually queue to do the occasional FP if I feel like running one and guildies aren't around or don't feel like doing one. I've only queued once for a FP since these repair costs went into effect, and that was as the tank with a fello guild member on healing; we queued for 2 DPS. I won't enter the queue on my own at ALL. I'll just level an alt or do something else. I rarely have a lot of money on my toons, I don't run dailies very often and I don't really enjoy working the GTN for cash. Up until now, it wasn't a big deal, I made enough to cover the reasonable costs of repair. But now that 2 wipes cost me 30k in repairs, I won't queue. Period. I can't afford to.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
02.19.2013 , 04:05 PM | #1124
Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritinblack View Post
It's not worth it Ureal. No matter what you say, or bring up, people will not listen.
When the shoe is on their foot, the, and only then, will they realize what has happened tot his game.

I'm sorry that it came to this for you. Out of everyone I have talked to on the forums, I thought YOU would be here forever. My wife and I recently unsubbed as well. Due to ALL the bs from eaware. This is not the game from beta.
I understand games change from beta on, but this one has gone down the tubes. ( My opinion. people can flame it all they want,it means squat. Just like me saying it).

Good luck to you Ureal. Hope you find a game that is worth your time, and a forum you can "troll" lol.
Quote: Originally Posted by Socialist View Post
I am in the same boat.

I wonder on how many subs is TOR sitting right now. Must be a pretty sad number.

Actually this whole game is a big tragedy. Had huge hopes since 200X, it looked so amazing, only to be a huge flop. A flop with EA written all over it.

At least the stories and novels are good, could have been a classic wasn't it a MMO. Quite sad if you ask me, I thought this would be the game of my life, a MMO I would be still picking up to casually raid or have fun some 5 years from now (like WoW). Quite sad
I appriciate the well wishes guys. I too thought I would be here for a long time. Hope things turn around for you and those still holding out hope. Burned too many times now by EA for me to stay and my time is more limited now a days to play more than one MMORPG at a time effectively (You were right G). WoW will hold me for a while until something else comes along. Still looking for a non-fantasy MMORPG with staying power ( but not EVE ). Send me a PM if you want to exchange emails ( anyone else that wants to also the offer is open ).

Cheers,
Urael

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.19.2013 , 04:15 PM | #1125
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
Yep. This is true. I usually queue to do the occasional FP if I feel like running one and guildies aren't around or don't feel like doing one. I've only queued once for a FP since these repair costs went into effect, and that was as the tank with a fello guild member on healing; we queued for 2 DPS. I won't enter the queue on my own at ALL. I'll just level an alt or do something else. I rarely have a lot of money on my toons, I don't run dailies very often and I don't really enjoy working the GTN for cash. Up until now, it wasn't a big deal, I made enough to cover the reasonable costs of repair. But now that 2 wipes cost me 30k in repairs, I won't queue. Period. I can't afford to.
The tank in my guild is in full DG and has a 30k-40k repair bill after 2 whipes. Are you a tank in full DG?

Totaltrash's Avatar


Totaltrash
02.19.2013 , 05:33 PM | #1126
After reading a few dozen pages, I have to chime in because there are a lot of incorrect numbers thrown out
(by the supporters of the repair costs as well as the opponents):

Please check this thread for some genuine test values (yes, I'm shamelessly promoting my own work ):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598636

As it is, my recommendation to everyone who wants to save on repair costs:
Re-mod to PVP shells or cheap (by sales price) crafted Orange shells for weapons/armor.
If you are a fresh 50 with no resources, use free Recruit Gear rather than free Tionese.

DO NOT use Cartel Armor, DO NOT use high-end PVE armor (Dread, etc) and DO NOT use Legacy armor!

gamorrean's Avatar


gamorrean
02.19.2013 , 05:43 PM | #1127
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
After reading a few dozen pages, I have to chime in because there are a lot of incorrect numbers thrown out
(by the supporters of the repair costs as well as the opponents):

Please check this thread for some genuine test values (yes, I'm shamelessly promoting my own work ):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598636

As it is, my recommendation to everyone who wants to save on repair costs:
Re-mod to PVP shells or cheap (by sales price) crafted Orange shells for weapons/armor.
If you are a fresh 50 with no resources, use free Recruit Gear rather than free Tionese.

DO NOT use Cartel Armor, DO NOT use high-end PVE armor (Dread, etc) and DO NOT use Legacy armor!

i 100% support this, however in 4 days i will no longer be a subscriber and do not plan to until they either fix this, or the huge lack of communication this game has is addressed , aka * Yep, we messed up we should have used the PTS, we are working on a fix* instead its head in the sand and ignore their customers.
A smart man knows what to say, a truly wise man knows when to say it.

manchusabre's Avatar


manchusabre
02.19.2013 , 06:16 PM | #1128
Yesterday 1 wipe on nightmare explosive conflict, 9k repair bill per attempt. Gear was 109/120 on my dread guard geared commando. The mobs you fight on the way to the first boss drops about 500 creds per group member. Today on hardmode xeno on my campaign geared shadow tank, same 9k repair per attempt. Gear was 72/80 to 80/80. Most of the dailies give a player 7k per quest. This doesn't make sense here. I'm not going to be doing the 1 plus daily needed for each attempt at end game content. I don't have the time. I would swap the mods if I had the creds to do it, but most of my toons only carry about 100k.

Cernow's Avatar


Cernow
02.19.2013 , 07:28 PM | #1129
I just found myself bailing on a H4 daily because we wiped several times, certain group members weren't learning from mistakes and my repair bill was already well in excess of what the mission was worth. I hated myself for bailing, and before the repair bill changes it's not something I would ever have considered doing, I'd have stuck around and tried to get everyone through it. But I could see further wipes and a huge repair bill incoming and didn't want to do lots more dailies just to cover it.

The change is anti-community and it is anti-fun. I can see no rational justification for it whatsoever, it does not improve the game, it makes it less fun, less social and less enjoyable to play. From now on I will probably stick to guild runs rather than attempt anything with a PUG.

If there's too much money in the game, then introduce some more expensive cosmetics and fluff for people to sink their creds into. There might be quite a lot of hyper rich players in the game, but the average player isn't sitting on a credit mountain. The repair bill does little to dent the accounts of the hyper rich and just penalises the average player.

Since all EA/Bioware seem to care about is money, it doesn't even make any sense from an economic point of view either because people are unsubbing because of it. How can it represent a worthwhile change for the players or for EA? It's a very poor situation all round.

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
02.19.2013 , 08:34 PM | #1130
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernow View Post
I just found myself bailing on a H4 daily because we wiped several times, certain group members weren't learning from mistakes and my repair bill was already well in excess of what the mission was worth. I hated myself for bailing, and before the repair bill changes it's not something I would ever have considered doing, I'd have stuck around and tried to get everyone through it. But I could see further wipes and a huge repair bill incoming and didn't want to do lots more dailies just to cover it.
And that's one of the major issues with this change. I tank on both sides of the faction fence, so I see it, and I get the bulk of the repair costs. I'll explain what needs to be done, and if the group does not learn, I have no other choice but to exit. Beforehand, I would have stuck around as long as I could, but now, the rope is very short. This change was not for the betterment of the community as a whole.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana