Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How About We Start Making This an RP server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Jung Ma
How About We Start Making This an RP server?

Porhios's Avatar


Porhios
02.14.2013 , 09:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyAdmiral View Post
*whispers* But they're in-guild only, scheduled events.

I know many of our members are RPers, but same deal: They're pretty shy about starting stuff themselves. I've seen it all overthe server.. if you start things randomoly on whatever planet, people will usually join in! Especially if you say you're doing so on the rp channel or in gen chat.
True, but if others stumble across it maybe they'd want to join in. I've always found (and agree) that when someone sees others RPing they'll join in the fun.
[Jung Ma] Remnants of Hope- Gilthanas Nightson
"Light From A Few Can Be A Beacon To Many"
www.remnantsofhope.com

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
02.16.2013 , 02:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Porhios View Post
True, but if others stumble across it maybe they'd want to join in. I've always found (and agree) that when someone sees others RPing they'll join in the fun.
Doesn't happen as much in warzones though, I've found.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

Risl's Avatar


Risl
02.18.2013 , 10:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
Also I notice if I "walk" that is usually a universal sign of RP intent, who knows who will join you?
This, followed up by trying to say something in /say. We've done it quite a bit, and at times it's resulted in some really cool encounters.

Yes, often others will be oblivious to the gesture and will get the first hit in, but oh well, that's the price of the possibility of spontaneous RP "in the wild".
Pesco (Republic) ♦ Ralden (Empire)
Jung Ma ♦ The Guardians ♦ www.guardianhq.com

Drebs's Avatar


Drebs
02.20.2013 , 05:04 PM | #14
Chat bubbles would change all of this.

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
02.20.2013 , 06:42 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
Chat bubbles would change all of this.
Not as much as you would think.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

SawneyRath's Avatar


SawneyRath
02.22.2013 , 10:55 AM | #16
I have always had the opinion that spontaneous world Roleplay is an awesome thing, and I do wish more would happen around the galaxy and not just on Nar Shadaa.

I know that before I had to take a break, EO was always trying to bring RP to the world in the form of our many events we used to hold. Even while I was away they still hold events with the Weekly Cantina RP, and the weekly Arming the Empire events.

I'm hoping to get some more free time now, and resume EO's event list once again.

Also, Chat Bubbles would be a HUGE Booster to RP in my opinion. They have always been a staple in RP for me, and I'm very sad to see they are STILL not here...
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
02.22.2013 , 12:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SawneyRath View Post
Also, Chat Bubbles would be a HUGE Booster to RP in my opinion. They have always been a staple in RP for me, and I'm very sad to see they are STILL not here...
Other than making communication look like a comic book and creating server-based latency issues, what's the real draw? Why can't we progress? How's it any different then looking two centimeters over and recognizing the name of the person you're engaging.

Yeah, in heavily populated areas (especially if you don't do a spatial filter) it can be tough to hear what the person next to you is saying, but isn't that realistic? How many bar-room scenes have you yourself gone to where the cacophony is so loud you can't hear the person you're talking to or likewise? There's a real solution to both of these problems: Step outside.

Consider bubbles in heavily populated areas; just seas of whitespace to the point you can't even see the interface. Then you have people who type up paragraphs and insert emotives in their speech and you've got bubblesort issues, climbing as high as a sequoia.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

SawneyRath's Avatar


SawneyRath
02.22.2013 , 03:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
Other than making communication look like a comic book and creating server-based latency issues, what's the real draw? Why can't we progress? How's it any different then looking two centimeters over and recognizing the name of the person you're engaging.

Yeah, in heavily populated areas (especially if you don't do a spatial filter) it can be tough to hear what the person next to you is saying, but isn't that realistic? How many bar-room scenes have you yourself gone to where the cacophony is so loud you can't hear the person you're talking to or likewise? There's a real solution to both of these problems: Step outside.

Consider bubbles in heavily populated areas; just seas of whitespace to the point you can't even see the interface. Then you have people who type up paragraphs and insert emotives in their speech and you've got bubblesort issues, climbing as high as a sequoia.
For me, its all about seeing the words my character would say "Coming out of" her. So when I type "Hello!" and the bubble pops up over my head, it helps me feel like my character is actually saying it.

Its boring to me, to have to go off a chat box, with no connection to my character other than "Selique:" There's no personal connection to my text that ties it to my character's body. The only time I use chat boxes in other MMO's is to recap, or read up on text I missed.

Also, I like feeling that other characters have the same connection to their "Voice" that bubbles imitate. I in no way associate Chat bubbles with comic books, as I never read any. To me they are all about connecting speech from your character to the environment and making it personal.

Plus, its easier to see a big chat bubble over someone's head and know they are talking to you (Because they are standing right there) and have your attention on the game world instead of focused on a small chat window. I'm not RPing on MSN Messenger after all!

As for the technical problems, no other MMO I have played has had issues where its been "Seas of whitespaces" SWG's chat bubbles were never an issue and I attended events with hundreds of players all chatting at once. So I don't see that argument at all.
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
02.22.2013 , 07:01 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SawneyRath View Post
As for the technical problems, no other MMO I have played has had issues where its been "Seas of whitespaces" SWG's chat bubbles were never an issue and I attended events with hundreds of players all chatting at once. So I don't see that argument at all.
That really doesn't matter that you "see" it or not. That's the technical issue with this engine right now, and why they were disabled in Beta.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

SawneyRath's Avatar


SawneyRath
02.23.2013 , 08:19 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
That really doesn't matter that you "see" it or not. That's the technical issue with this engine right now, and why they were disabled in Beta.
I wasn't referring to the behind the scenes 400MB problem they talked about, but they also had that issue with nameplates, and those are fixed, so again, I don't see the issue other then Dev time trying to fix a similar issue they had previously fixed before.
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~