Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BJWyler
02.16.2013 , 11:35 AM | #741
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
This is what you get with f2p, a company that focuses 90% of its attention on the cash shop and how to get people to spend more money there, where a sub game has 100% of its attention on improving the game so people will continue to pay for it.

Way to go f2p cheerleaders.
Unfortunately, the game failed as a sub based model. Considering the alternative, I am glad EA/BW chose this route. Since the CM is the bulk of the game's income, yes, it needs to have a focus that encourages people to spend money on it. If this fails, then that first alternative is all that is left, and that would be the real shame. At least this way, the game is surviving and providing enjoyment for many people. You may not like it, but at this point enough people do to once again make it profitable. It's up to you whether to continue on or find something else that suits your needs better.

Quote: Originally Posted by unbreak_able View Post
Wow, 20k in repairs for a single wipe.

BW really is stupid. Bleeding subs over a credit sink, you guys just ... lol
Yeah, people quitting a fun and entertaining game because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world. Yeah, BW are the stupid ones.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 11:54 AM | #742
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post

Yeah, people quitting a fun and entertaining game because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world. Yeah, BW are the stupid ones.

BJ
lol.. the bearing on the real world is the $15 monthly sub and time invested in this game. So when the game ceases to be fun and entertaining the smart thing to do is to leave and find a better use of your time and money.

From a business point of view it IS stupid to persist with something that costs you customers.
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

iamthehoyden
02.16.2013 , 11:59 AM | #743
Keywords here being "fun" and "entertaining." If this change causes the game to cease to be fun and entertaining for people then it makes perfect sense that they would leave. If a game is not fun and entertaining and they continue to play, that would make me doubt their intelligence.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Tosko
02.16.2013 , 11:59 AM | #744
My guild raids a fair amount (at least 3 nights a week) and we're happy to fill spots with those less experienced to teach then. When we're learning an operation it isn't uncommon to have 5-6 wipes in a single night on a new boss as we're learning patterns. As one of the healers for our group I managed to get a 66k repair bill the other night, and one of our main tanks has said he'll raid until his credits run out then he's going to either have to downgrade his gear or run around in broken armor as he doesn't want to grind dailies like it's a job (he makes a valid point). Many guildmates, and friends of our guild have said that they won't be raiding anytime soon. Congratulations devs! You've managed to break a 5 game streak of raiding for my group, something few people thought was even possible. All for another credit sink. Wow...Just wow...
Proud Member of Shadow Company

manchusabre
02.16.2013 , 12:04 PM | #745
Was shocked the other day to get a 73k repair bill after a few attempts at hm xeno. I'm not going to have time to get the creds to raid if repairs remain this high. If I'm not going to raid, I have no need to sub.

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 12:04 PM | #746
Quote: Originally Posted by Tosko View Post
My guild raids a fair amount (at least 3 nights a week) and we're happy to fill spots with those less experienced to teach then. When we're learning an operation it isn't uncommon to have 5-6 wipes in a single night on a new boss as we're learning patterns. As one of the healers for our group I managed to get a 66k repair bill the other night, and one of our main tanks has said he'll raid until his credits run out then he's going to either have to downgrade his gear or run around in broken armor as he doesn't want to grind dailies like it's a job (he makes a valid point). Many guildmates, and friends of our guild have said that they won't be raiding anytime soon. Congratulations devs! You've managed to break a 5 game streak of raiding for my group, something few people thought was even possible. All for another credit sink. Wow...Just wow...
Id like to suggest that you encourage your guildies to all unsubscribe. Even you are not sufficiently unhappy to unsubscribe - please do so anyway.

use the unsubscriber feedback form to tell them that you are not happy and they are breaking the game.

after that if you want you can re-subscribe.

If enough people unsubscribe someone in management will take notice in the sudden spike in unsubscriptions and step in to order the devs to roll the stupid "bug fix" back.

Hiro-Protagonist
02.16.2013 , 12:04 PM | #747
If my 8 man raid group is clicking we can get through TFB HM through Kephess and get NiM Toth and Zorn down in one 2.5 hour raid. That nets us over 20 molecular stabilizers, and at 150K each at current prices on The Harbinger that comes to 3 million in just stabilizers. With mobs dropping good credits in TFB I usually cover my repair costs just with that with about 5-8 wipes total during the run. We choose to use stabilizers to make equipment for other raid groups in our guild, but these could easily be sold which would actually allow us to make a profit by raiding.

I can fully understand that not everyone is going to be able to clear those same bosses in the same amount of time, or with as few a number of wipes. However, with some creativity you may be able to do it, especially if you can start RE'ing 63 level modifications.

Mallorik
02.16.2013 , 12:16 PM | #748
Unfortunately, the game failed as a sub based model. Considering the alternative, I am glad EA/BW chose this route. Since the CM is the bulk of the game's income, yes, it needs to have a focus that encourages people to spend money on it. If this fails, then that first alternative is all that is left, and that would be the real shame. At least this way, the game is surviving and providing enjoyment for many people. You may not like it, but at this point enough people do to once again make it profitable. It's up to you whether to continue on or find something else that suits your needs better.

BJ
The game failed because it wasnt up to par with its competition, so they had 2 choices. Make the game worth playing, or make it f2p. i dont understand why fanboys are ok with the choice EA made. Rift is proving that the other choice works.

And people arent quitting "because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world" they are quitting because it costs hundreds of thoudsands of credits to do progression raids, and grouping with a dud in a gf hm fp can cost you thouands of credits, after awhile that "virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world" runs out and you cant play anymore.

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 12:19 PM | #749
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiro-Protagonist View Post
If my 8 man raid group is clicking we can get through TFB HM through Kephess and get NiM Toth and Zorn down in one 2.5 hour raid. That nets us over 20 molecular stabilizers, and at 150K each at current prices on The Harbinger that comes to 3 million in just stabilizers. With mobs dropping good credits in TFB I usually cover my repair costs just with that with about 5-8 wipes total during the run. We choose to use stabilizers to make equipment for other raid groups in our guild, but these could easily be sold which would actually allow us to make a profit by raiding.

I can fully understand that not everyone is going to be able to clear those same bosses in the same amount of time, or with as few a number of wipes. However, with some creativity you may be able to do it, especially if you can start RE'ing 63 level modifications.
and what about those of us not in guilds and who dont want to be in a guild? My runs are entirely PuG groups or with friends since im guild-free.

I totally get that guilds may be able to get through this even if it just means sacrificing some wealth gathering. Its not that there is no way around this... but it definitely hits casuals harder than it does hardcore players

NwahsNirom
02.16.2013 , 12:30 PM | #750
Pax Republica would also like to express it's unfavorable view on this change by Bioware. It seems like they wanted to take mods/enhancements etc. into account but didn't tweak it and realize how many credits this really costs people. Please make an adjustment. Pax will be significantly affected in it's raid progress by this.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
5/5 Story Ravagers, 2/5 ToS, haven't tried HM yet
4/4 NiM EC, 10/10 HM DF&DP, 1/5 NiM TFB, 1/5 NiM DF
Prophecy of the Five | Guild Leader | PvE, PvP, GSF Guild