Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
02.16.2013 , 09:05 AM | #721
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
The "Oh crap, I have been found out" escape.
By lent, see ya later when you try to weasel your way back in.
Except I have not been found out.
I told you to check the other threads. Which you refuse to do, which is not my fault.

Overwhelming majority.

SWGrefia
02.16.2013 , 09:08 AM | #722
I've only been playing for a few months. I have 4 level 50s and several others, but I have yet to complete more than a few flashpoints or ops. People are hostile about new players because of the costs to repair. I can't really afford them either, so I just don't do them. One solution would be to eliminate damage in instanced zones, like warzones. Then it might be more noob friendly out there.

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 09:18 AM | #723
Quote: Originally Posted by SWGrefia View Post
I've only been playing for a few months. I have 4 level 50s and several others, but I have yet to complete more than a few flashpoints or ops. People are hostile about new players because of the costs to repair. I can't really afford them either, so I just don't do them. One solution would be to eliminate damage in instanced zones, like warzones. Then it might be more noob friendly out there.
as far as i know you dont get damage from pvp.

Another case of bioware preferring pvp over pve? maybe... i dont pvp so i cant see it from their perspective
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Larity
02.16.2013 , 09:21 AM | #724
But it is completely noob friendly out there.

All those random drops of tionese or other drops you don't need, you can sell those for a lot of credits and a new 50 shouldn't have a huge repair bill in tionese or recruit. Infact, I believe its less then 5k.

Another thing is also the dailies out there are not just for credits, those daily comms are completely useful. Why? Rakata Earpiece and Implants as well as Dread or Campaign relics!

So while tedious and boring it maybe, its only a chore if people make it a chore and only as long as people make it long.

BJWyler
02.16.2013 , 09:26 AM | #725
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Lemme ask ya this, Sir Defender of the EA... how many times between Patch 1.2 and Patch 1.7 did you ever tell to anyone - friend, acquaintence, guildy, forum post, or bug post - that the repair costs were too damn LOW?
Well, personally speaking, I wasn't even aware that the repair costs were not performing as intended. You see, even though I hate spending in-game currency in any game and tend to be a hoarder, when I started playing I accepted things like repair costs, mod extract costs, travels costs, and the like for what they were and was not keeping a spreadsheet of how much money I tossed away every time I went to repair my gear, whether it was after a death or not. I know that with each upgrade to gear I made, it cost me more and more to repair, especially after one of those rare deaths that occurred.

Now, we have heard from others that just as a throwaway comment heard about differing repair costs, and thought it strange, but didn't really think of anything beyond that. Most likely, this is the reason it took so long to realize that the repair costs were not working as intended. For players like myself that don't pay much attention to costs didn't even realize we were getting a bargain, and for those that realized that there were some disparities either did not investigate further to realize something was bugged, or did and began to report it to BW and hence the bug now got fixed.

Personally, I think all bugs in any game should be on the Fixing list, so I don't need to make a QQ thread to specify one bug over another, and I am sure there are many others who agree. We would rather just report bugs and go on our way, trusting that the devs will investigate and make their priority list and continue to work on the game. You see, most of us don't feel the need to constantly QQ about the game.

In terms of bugs or features, anyone remember the /getdown bug? That was a benefit to players, but I didn't see anyone complaining about that when it was fixed.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
Ironically you call me an elitist at one point in time, when i'm still the one willing to run and teach people how to do fp's, while you sit there and go "i'm not going to teach people **** because then i'll wipe, i'm not going to run, i only want good people if i do run" who's got the elitist attitude again?
Exactly - nothing is changing about the way I play this game, nor is my guild changing anything we do. Ultimately, complaining about virtual currency is kind of silly when there are so many good aspects about this game that still makes it fun and less grindy to play than many other MMOs. Again, This is an MMO, it will still be grindy, that is what the genre is about and part of making money is grinding. Fortunately, BW has made a game where you really don't have to grind all that much to be swimming in virtual currency.

Quote: Originally Posted by tdgesq View Post
I believe you, and I agree that they haven't found a good compromise. How it was implemented makes it worse. I think you would agree though that the dissatisfaction of the "no increase" folks outweighs the satisfaction of the "yes, increase" advocates.
Yes, but it still remains that the devs need to do things in the game to keep the various parts balanced, even if it isn't popular with the majority of players. Again, whether we think an in game economy is a real economy or not, it is a major part of any MMO and in order to sustain the game and player interest things must be done to ensure a viable economy in game. I don't think that anyone would disagree that gold sinks (like taxes) are a PIA, but ultimately a necessary evil to ensure the game operates smoothly and can offer different players different ways to play. If the gold sinks are not effective, then they either need to change to be effective or other aspects of the game need to change to make it harder to make in game currency. Either solution will be unpopular with players.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

picee
02.16.2013 , 09:28 AM | #726
as the raid leader for my guild i have stopped raiding befor tuesday we had 2 mil in out guild bank .. now 5 days on 0 funds yes thats alot of wipes but 2-3 raid groups going every nite not really

they have issued so many incentives to sub up why not make repair bills a thing of the past i for one would even be willing to pay more for my monthly subscription to have 0 repair bills
PIEC PICEE TILLIE-D soul-patch PIC'EE PICE'E RHENDILIL DAMA-NINO PIICEE PICE'E PICEEGDALI'S go-figure

MajikMyst
02.16.2013 , 09:29 AM | #727
My guild did EC hard mode lastnight.. What a money pit that was.. Either repair costs needs to be dramatically reduced or credit drops need to be dramatically increased..

I realize this was a bug fix, but there was just no reason to change the reapair costs..

I think credit drops globally need to be increased or repair costs need to decrease..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 09:32 AM | #728
Quote: Originally Posted by picee View Post
they have issued so many incentives to sub up why not make repair bills a thing of the past i for one would even be willing to pay more for my monthly subscription to have 0 repair bills
i think having repair bills is good but it should not be excessive. It makes sense that your gear gets damaged and hence there is a cost to repair them.

BaronV
02.16.2013 , 09:38 AM | #729
to all you people who say "there should be a mix of work and fun!" (actually ive only seen one or maybe 2) here is an interesting analogy:

If you had a car that required you to get out and clean the oil filter every 10 miles would you rather:

(A) adjust your entire schedule/lifestyle to take in to account the extra time and effort in commuting

or

(B) Scrap the car and get a new one?

I thought so...

DansbyRotten
02.16.2013 , 09:46 AM | #730
I don't see a fix in today's patch notes...