Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ilum fail and new ideas in sinc with new implementations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ilum fail and new ideas in sinc with new implementations

Reloader
02.15.2013 , 04:16 AM | #1
Is it just me or did swtor fail to grasp world pvp with those new quests in Ilum?

1. Valor should be given for kills with occasional commendation drops with a different skin/attributes close to whatever zone you are in (sector x, ilum, etc...)

2. the "PvP" quests should be PvP not do some PVE in the "PvP" area so we can all hold hands. it should be the same way on tatooine as well as other daily spots.

the only thing they got right was making it small group and FFA

A reward/risk system should be put in as well. The masses will not PvP if there is no reward and without risk it almost makes it pointless. Make World PvP deaths damage gear or endurance until repaired. Also a leader board so people can see who the biggest PvP'ers are, World PvP ranks/titles. these little things can encourage people to join the action.

Over all I think Bioware is on the right track they just need to pull their heads out of their... well you know.
MacDougall - Guardian
Charlie'sheen - Scoundrel
Learn to Play - Prophecy of the Five

Spoletta
02.15.2013 , 05:51 AM | #2
Valor and Comm requirement can only be tied to mission's rewards, and those cannot be tied to player killing. Else we just get kill trading all again.

Quote: Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
A reward/risk system should be put in as well. The masses will not PvP if there is no reward and without risk it almost makes it pointless. Make World PvP deaths damage gear or endurance until repaired. Also a leader board so people can see who the biggest PvP'ers are, World PvP ranks/titles. these little things can encourage people to join the action.
This part is interesting.

Reloader
02.15.2013 , 05:57 AM | #3
if there is some sort of timer before you are worth to a specific person again or a diminishing reward it could work. If they could make that work in Dark Age of Camelot im sure they could make it work in this game
MacDougall - Guardian

Crabhand
02.15.2013 , 06:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
I've gotta disagree here. The masses will most definitely PvP if you start fighting them. Get a group of four people together, cause some chaos, stir the hornet nest. Everyone is on edge in the PvP zone, it doesn't take much to get people firing on each other. And causing damage to gear only further disincentives PvP, because who wants to fight if it is going to drain their unrelated funds? Old Ilum had rewards for open world PvP and it was abused to the point of insanity.

You shouldn't need a reason to fight other than a desire to fight. The point of the event is to get a bunch of people together so that they can fight, the objective should be secondary if you want to fight people. I've had the most fun since the days of old Ilum when we actually got groups together and fought each other in random encounters. Except this time there is no faction imbalance to be concerned about.

Reloader
02.15.2013 , 07:35 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Crabhand View Post
I've gotta disagree here. The masses will most definitely PvP if you start fighting them. Get a group of four people together, cause some chaos, stir the hornet nest. Everyone is on edge in the PvP zone, it doesn't take much to get people firing on each other. And causing damage to gear only further disincentives PvP, because who wants to fight if it is going to drain their unrelated funds? Old Ilum had rewards for open world PvP and it was abused to the point of insanity.

You shouldn't need a reason to fight other than a desire to fight. The point of the event is to get a bunch of people together so that they can fight, the objective should be secondary if you want to fight people. I've had the most fun since the days of old Ilum when we actually got groups together and fought each other in random encounters. Except this time there is no faction imbalance to be concerned about.
The problem is that this game as Bioware put it, "is not a World PvP game". The risk is hardly an issue, a couple thousand credits that a daily would cover? In a game where most people would spend the time to get their daily's done without fighting in an FFA PvP area means that incentive is needed. Games have not had favorable World PvP in some time unless you play a "hardcore" PvP game. The abuse can easily be stopped. It was done in a game made 12 years ago I think a game now could handle such a simple task. Adding on to my thought though I think the reward should be based off of valor rank. so with rank 50 and below should be a low amount and as you get higher the reward gets higher... hmmm what game did they do that in that had amazing PvP... lemme think oh thats right DAoC. while that game is a relic there has not been pvp like it. The closest thing to good world pvp is GW2 which has no reward either and is very repetitive and RIft.

Good sir (Crabhand), you are a Care bear if i have ever sensed one. I look to better pvp not put a red name out there and hope that someone attacks it and starts a frenzy, because people are not gonna do that when there isnt a need for it.

**** another idea ther pvp area quests should involve...pvp

MacDougall - Guardian

Reloader
02.16.2013 , 04:26 AM | #6
*************************************bump********* ******************************************
MacDougall - Guardian

TonyDragonflame
02.16.2013 , 04:34 AM | #7
There must be full loot drop from players
May the Force be with you!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 93 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 90 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

publicenemies
02.16.2013 , 04:36 AM | #8
Quests and pvp should not be in the same category ever. FFA pvp is crap we alredy have outlaws den and that failed to.

We need objective based pvp and bases to hold like most mmo's have. What we dont need is this ogranic crap and overthinking the wheel when it comes to pvp

Its no coincidence when theres events we always have the same result reps/imps calling a truce and standing in line for thier ice cream.

volander
02.16.2013 , 04:38 AM | #9
PVP should NEVER be about the killing of the players. It is a goal for a goal. PvP should always be around the fulfill the objective. Otherwise, all will choose the most effective class and the game will be boring and not interesting.
|█╠╬╬╬╬╬╬╣██{▀PURE]▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Reloader
02.16.2013 , 04:56 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by volander View Post
PVP should NEVER be about the killing of the players. It is a goal for a goal. PvP should always be around the fulfill the objective. Otherwise, all will choose the most effective class and the game will be boring and not interesting.
You sir sound boring. Pvp is to pvp nothing more than to kill people a goal just brings them out for what? so i can kill them. Objectives do not always work either.
MacDougall - Guardian