Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 09:28 PM | #651
Eh, you know, I'm at the point I just don't care any more.

You all want EA to keep the high repair costs in so that people like me won't help anyone through flash points ever again and numerous others who somehow enjoy raiding enough to pay for it stop doing it, more power to ya.

That's what y'all did in Spring 2012 when hundreds of thousands of players dropped the game in a very short timeframe and EA panic mode switched from "let's make a great game with episodic releases!" to "let's sell gambling packs to idiots!".

Will there be enough gambling pack buyers after the raiding subscribers are gone to convince EA to keep the servers up?

Maybe we'll see. Or you will, anyway.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

DarthVenizen
02.15.2013 , 09:33 PM | #652
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Eh, you know, I'm at the point I just don't care any more.

You all want EA to keep the high repair costs in so that people like me won't help anyone through flash points ever again and numerous others who somehow enjoy raiding enough to pay for it stop doing it, more power to ya.

That's what y'all did in Spring 2012 when hundreds of thousands of players dropped the game in a very short timeframe and EA panic mode switched from "let's make a great game with episodic releases!" to "let's sell gambling packs to idiots!".

Will there be enough gambling pack buyers after the raiding subscribers are gone to convince EA to keep the servers up?

Maybe we'll see. Or you will, anyway.
Nowhere, have i ever said i want to keep the high repair costs.

All i have ever continuously said, throughout the entire thread is.

I do NOT see the problem with how high they are. I do NOT see WHY it's SUCH a big deal.

I even acknowledged that it WOULD get reverted back due to the high amounts of QQ over something that shouldn't even be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. (srsly canceling subs over repair costs is *********** stupid)

Ironically you call me an elitist at one point in time, when i'm still the one willing to run and teach people how to do fp's, while you sit there and go "i'm not going to teach people **** because then i'll wipe, i'm not going to run, i only want good people if i do run" who's got the elitist attitude again?

DansbyRotten
02.15.2013 , 09:36 PM | #653
The rage over the increased cost of repairs is a bit much, but this needs to be addressed by BW. Hope the fix is coming with the patch tomorrow.

Daedahl
02.15.2013 , 09:39 PM | #654
Quote: Originally Posted by RedVisionaire View Post
I haven't tested anything with this, but it seems like this would then have the unattractive side effect of making Cartel armor much cheaper to repair, since it sells to a vendor for one credit. While I doubt this was their intention, I suspect they will have many more unhappy people around if true (to reiterate, I didn't test this).

As an aside, back in the old days of repair costs, costs were determined by percent repaired, not a flat rate per durability point. This meant that it cost the same to go from 40 to 80 durability (for light armor) as it did to go from 60 to 120 durability (for heavy) - ie, light armor wearers had to repair more often, for the same price. While I don't really raid anymore, it would be unfortunate if the increased repair costs made this an issue again.
I checked with a Spymaster headpiece and came to the following conclusion. The cost to repair an item is currently completely based on the sell price of the item (not a surprise, I know). The Sell price is now made up of both the shell value and the mods (armor, hilt, mod, enhancement and potentially augment) in the gear. If the shell has a very high sell price (as the legacy gear has) then the cost to repair will be overly expensive at low levels. This is how the level 29 assassin in legacy armor has an 8k bill after a single death (or even just getting their durability knocked down 10%). Cartel gear with a "sell price" of 1 credit is the cheapest shell to put your mods in and can save you some money.

Unfortunately I don't know how the repair calculations were done prior to 1.7, but the more I think about it the more I think the shell was probably not included in the cost. It was probably based solely on the value of the mods which is why the legacy gear at low levels was not prohibitively expensive to repair. At high levels some of the shells can be quite valuable, but people with mods in shells that are cheap (such as the spymaster) are seeing little to no change in their repair costs. That's my theory, but there is no way to test unless they revert.

tdgesq
02.15.2013 , 09:51 PM | #655
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
just because someone doesn't say that they think repair costs are too low, or isn't adamant that they are, doesn't mean that they don't think they are.
True, but the point is they don't care enough to say or do anything about it.

tdgesq
02.15.2013 , 09:54 PM | #656
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
I've actually said these to my guildies
"Wow, these repair costs are so much better then vindictus"
"At least the repair costs are cheap, kinda too cheap, but whatever"
"maybe they should incrase the repair costs to back before 1.2 so things will go down in price"
"Hey, remember when tank repairs sucked?"
"Credits are too easy in this game, need a new credit sink or a revert to repairs"
I'm sure neither you nor your guild mates have ever complained about the cost of repair. EVER. lol.

Larity
02.15.2013 , 09:57 PM | #657
Quote: Originally Posted by tdgesq View Post
I'm sure neither you nor your guild mates have ever complained about the cost of repair. EVER. lol.
I have.

Because I played Vindictus.

And if anyone thinks these repair costs are bad.

I dare them to play that and get high tier armor and then see who's laughing at high repair costs.

DarthVenizen
02.15.2013 , 09:57 PM | #658
True, but the point is they don't care enough to say or do anything about it.
i covered that with

Quote:
In fact if they were to have come to the forums and vocalized their opinions on the forums they would have gotten flamed to hell.
and as i said way earlier in the thread, when 1.2 hit and the repairs were lowered so much, the first thing out of my mouth at my first repair was "wow that's fking stupid" I had thought they were a little high pre 1.2 (there weren't as many dailies back then which made the repair costs even worse, if repair costs would have been as much as they were pre 1.2 with all the dalies they have now, i wouldn't have had an issue with it), i though they were WAY too low post 1.2, they should have found a happy medium, which, they never did.

tdgesq
02.15.2013 , 10:01 PM | #659
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
I have.

Because I played Vindictus.

And if anyone thinks these repair costs are bad.

I dare them to play that and get high tier armor and then see who's laughing at high repair costs.
Nobody believes that you and your guild have never complained about repairs costs in swtor. Who cares if they are higher in another game.

Larity
02.15.2013 , 10:04 PM | #660
Nobody believes that you and your guild have never complained about repairs costs in swtor. Who cares if they are higher in another game.
I do, because compared to the rate of repair in this game, now, before 1.7, and before 1.2. IT WAS LAUGHABLE.

AHAHAHAHAHA

it's so cheap, people must be dirt poor if they can't afford it!

wahahahahaha

Also, don't care if you don't believe me. It happened.