Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 11:11 AM | #451
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
You left the club, and got them to stop kicking you in the junk. That's a good thing, I agree. But what happens when you decide that the drinks there are too expensive? What will you do then? Will you and your cronies take your business elsewhere again, or threaten to do so, in an attempt to get the your preferred club to lower its prices? If they lower the prices on their drinks, what's next? What will be the next thing you want--the next reason to threaten to go elsewhere unless your demands are met?
Maybe I'll do what you say, maybe I'll be happy paying the same for drinks that I've been paying for the past 14 months.

The fun thing is, if I ask for lower drink prices, the club still has the ability to decline my request. It's not like I can force them to take $2 less for the martini I ask them to make for me...
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

astrobearx's Avatar


astrobearx
02.15.2013 , 11:15 AM | #452
Quote: Originally Posted by Stunblade View Post
You guys saying that these gear repair cost are overprice? you r troll? if not, how do player who are F2P that reach 50 lvl and it's require to pay the credit which they are limited to 200k cap? This need to fix asap.

I cant image how much it cost to repair on next swtor's expansion.
this right here

i think most ppl ignoring the prefer/f2p players CREDIT CAPS (200k for f2p & 350ki for preferred) that will make it damn near impossible to play post 50

or hell post 45+

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 11:15 AM | #453
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
If you can find one, I'd like to see it. I don't see it as evident that a credit sink must be universal in order to function properly, therefore more evidence would be helpful in proving your point.

As far as my understanding goes from doing some reading on game economies is that inflation is caused by too much gold (or credits in this case) in the game economy. People with excess amounts of credits will then be willing to spend exorbiant amounts on even low-value items because they can. By providing "luxury" items such as high-priced vanity items, credits are taken out of the game economy through those with excess credits.

Since the credit hoarders have less excess credit, they are less likely to buy overpriced common items, returning the game economy to some sane level (I've seen articles that actually speak of "sanity checks" when evaluating game economies).

Repair costs are paid by everyone who engages in activities that involve damage and combat-induced death. Repair costs are typically used in games because they are a relatively passive gold sink (relatively because people can actively choose not to partake in combat by avoiding flashpoints and operations - which is what we're seeing). There is a place for them in the game, but when they become excessive to the point of restricting play, they have a negative impact on the game. (Fewer people taking part in ops is not a good thing for the game as a whole.)
The high priced "luxury" items only take credits out of the economy if people buy them.

I doubt that EA/BW will introduce any in game vendors with high priced luxury items as that would take away possible income from the cartel market.

In addition to that, if they did introduce high priced luxury items, you would have people on these forums complaining that those items are too expensive because only the super rich can afford them.

What you are proposing is to trade one argument (repair costs are too high) that affects you personally for a different argument (the luxury item is too expensive) which may not affect you personally.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 11:20 AM | #454
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Maybe I'll do what you say, maybe I'll be happy paying the same for drinks that I've been paying for the past 14 months.

The fun thing is, if I ask for lower drink prices, the club still has the ability to decline my request. It's not like I can force them to take $2 less for the martini I ask them to make for me...
The club also had the option to decline your request for them to stop kicking you in the junk. You took your business elsewhere till they stopped kicking you in the junk. Now, knowing that you were rewarded for taking your business elsewhere once, why should I think you would not threaten to do so again if there was something new that you wanted?

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 11:22 AM | #455
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
The high priced "luxury" items only take credits out of the economy if people buy them.

I doubt that EA/BW will introduce any in game vendors with high priced luxury items as that would take away possible income from the cartel market.

In addition to that, if they did introduce high priced luxury items, you would have people on these forums complaining that those items are too expensive because only the super rich can afford them.

What you are proposing is to trade one argument (repair costs are too high) that affects you personally for a different argument (the luxury item is too expensive) which may not affect you personally.
You can't seriously be worried that people would not buy the high priced luxury items, can you? People spend the equivalent of 6 months' subscription of REAL MONEY to buy a CHANCE at cool gear every time a new pack is released. When the white crystals were available and 1M credits was A LOT, people bought them like candy!

Nobody complained they were too expensive. They bought the white ones or if they couldn't afford the white ones, they bought the lower priced purple or cyan. If there were complaints, they were NOWHERE NEAR the scale of complaints caused by this "bug fix". Entire raiding guilds did not cancel their subs over it.

If EA truly believes that so many creds in the game is a problem, they should put a bit of their money where their mouth is and offer something worth buying for credits. People will keep gambling IRL money away on packs because that's peoples' nature.

I'm quite wealthy. I'm an example of a player who will pay a considerable number of credits for a vanity item that I want - I paid over a million (to a vendor = destroyed credits) to clothe my latest alt in exactly what I wanted it to wear, and continue to pay more to vendors and players to ensure mods and such are up to date.

I also WILL NOT do a flash point on that character because the repair bills piss me off. I can afford them, but they piss me off.

You want to destroy my 10's of millions of credits and the 10's to 100's of millions of credits other wealthy people have? Give us something to spend them on that makes us happy instead of attempting to forcibly extract them via our nutsacks. The latter approach will only cost you subs.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Hyfy's Avatar


Hyfy
02.15.2013 , 11:23 AM | #456
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Please tell me where in that post I said that credit sinks must be universal. Pointing out an already evident fact-- that repair costs are universal while the proposed alternate credit sinks are not universal-- is a far cry from claiming that credit sinks need to be universal.
The very nature of your posts in regards to that seemed to dismiss any ideas that weren't universal. Just using your apparent intent would lead someone to believe that you feel those credit sinks need to be universal or "they won't work". If that's not what you meant then by all means feel free to clarify.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 11:24 AM | #457
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
The club also had the option to decline your request for them to stop kicking you in the junk. You took your business elsewhere till they stopped kicking you in the junk. Now, knowing that you were rewarded for taking your business elsewhere once, why should I think you would not threaten to do so again if there was something new that you wanted?
Because I'm a rational human being who possesses a sense of fairness. The club continues to provide a service that I enjoy, so I pay their drink prices.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Hyfy's Avatar


Hyfy
02.15.2013 , 11:29 AM | #458
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
The club also had the option to decline your request for them to stop kicking you in the junk. You took your business elsewhere till they stopped kicking you in the junk. Now, knowing that you were rewarded for taking your business elsewhere once, why should I think you would not threaten to do so again if there was something new that you wanted?
In fairness I think asking not to get kicked in the junk is not unreasonable. You do really need to take into account the severity of the situation and the request being made. A $2 hike in drink prices might in cur some patrons to leave but no where in the amount getting punted in the nuts each time you went there would. Which suffice it to say is what some people are feeling is happening.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 11:32 AM | #459
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
In fairness I think asking not to get kicked in the junk is not unreasonable. You do really need to take into account the severity of the situation and the request being made. A $2 hike in drink prices might in cur some patrons to leave but no where in the amount getting punted in the nuts each time you went there would. Which suffice it to say is what some people are feeling is happening.
Good point.

If they increased drink prices 20%, some might complain and some might leave but most would probably stay, especially if the club stayed as cool as it always had been or improved in some way.

But the junk-kicking, that's just wrong...
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 11:34 AM | #460
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
The very nature of your posts in regards to that seemed to dismiss any ideas that weren't universal. Just using your apparent intent would lead someone to believe that you feel those credit sinks need to be universal or "they won't work". If that's not what you meant then by all means feel free to clarify.
Ok, let me clarify. While a credit sink does not need to be universal, I believe that they work best when they are universal and not voluntary. This is my personal opinion.