Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZORG
02.15.2013 , 09:16 AM | #431
I think Bioware knows how much credits people have and some how think the larger percentage have 2 million + credits and think they need to spend more. They are essentially raising the Interest rates to suck in all that extra money. Then at some future point the market will stabilize because folks don't have as much.

Right now as someone who sells on the GTN I can put something up for 500k and know it will sell cause people are bleeding credits.

I still think it sucks but then again be glad equipment doesn't have decay. If it did once it hit a certain amount of decay you wouldn't be able to repair it and would be forced to buy a new one...
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering

Benfynyn
02.15.2013 , 09:18 AM | #432
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
If the new repair costs are bugged, the bug should obviously be fixed. The costs should be working as intended.
Well, they said that the new repair costs are the correct amounts in the 1.7 patch notes.

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

Reminded me of this from Office Space

Bob#1: Here's a peculiar... Uh, Milton Waddams.
Dom: Who's he?
Bob#2: You know, squirrely looking guy. Mumbles a lot.
Dom: oh, yeah.
Bob#1: We--we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.
Bob#2: I looked into it more deeply, and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off 5 years ago, and no one ever told him about it, but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck. So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.
Lumbergh: Great.
Dom: So, uh, Milton has been let go.
Bob#1: Well, just a second there, professor. We, uh, we fixed the glitch. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore. So it'll just work itself out naturally.
Bob#2: We always like to avoid confrontation whenever possible. The problem is solved from your end.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

After some investigation, it appears that there was some miscommunication between teams and this patch note was not intended to be included in this last patch.

thomasbaxter
02.15.2013 , 09:19 AM | #433
Lol I have to laugh at those who say 'stop being lazy' and to go and do dailies etc. Okay I hate the dailies, HATE them. I game the GTN a lot but still can't cover my rakata repair costs. Yes it probably is possible to make 400k credits etc in a day doing all the stuff u hate doing. The bottom line is why the hell would I want to spend hours doing something I hate when this is supposed to be something you do for fun?

I will be unsubbing if repair costs or rewards aren't adjusted cuz my endgame is now over.

Actually no the bottom line is I'm struggling with a recession in the UK, now I have to struggle with one in the galaxy........lol

Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 09:23 AM | #434
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
do bw/ea want to remain employed or will they watch sub numbers circle the drain?
OOOOH. The "do what I want, or a lot of players will quit" threat. What happens if EA/BW reduces the cost to pre-1.7 costs due to the threatened numbers of players who would quit? I'll take a guess. A lot of people would be happy right now with the reduced repair costs, fine. But down the line, people get the idea that since EA/BW changed one thing due to threatened numbers of quitters, let's try it again. Maybe it's that someone doesn't like the fact that we only get tionese gear at 50. They want Rakata gear. They start a campaign that gathers a lot of support for Rakata gear to be handed to every new 50, or a lot of people will quit. Maybe EA/BW listens again, maybe they don't.

It's the old "If you give a mouse a cookie..." syndrome.

DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 09:26 AM | #435
OOOOH. The "do what I want, or a lot of players will quit" threat. What happens if EA/BW reduces the cost to pre-1.7 costs due to the threatened numbers of players who would quit? I'll take a guess. A lot of people would be happy right now with the reduced repair costs, fine. But down the line, people get the idea that since EA/BW changed one thing due to threatened numbers of quitters, let's try it again. Maybe it's that someone doesn't like the fact that we only get tionese gear at 50. They want Rakata gear. They start a campaign that gathers a lot of support for Rakata gear to be handed to every new 50, or a lot of people will quit. Maybe EA/BW listens again, maybe they don't.

I go to this one club and it's really fun. Great drinks, good atmosphere, lots of beautiful women.

Then, one day, they decided that everyone needed a swift kick in the junk on the way in. Well, most of us decided to stop going but a few people loved the club so much they kept going. The rest of us complained to management.

Well, lo and behold after a week of junk-kicking, the clubs's revenues fell so much that they decided to reverse the policy and apologize to us all for the silly mistake. Now most of us are back and the club's as good as ever.

We're asking EA to stop kicking us in the junk. We're not asking for free drinks.

astrobearx
02.15.2013 , 09:36 AM | #436

ah the slippery slope fallacy, i was wondering when you were going to show up. i mean we already had the word "entitled" appear on this thread and something to do with democrats on the other, so it was only a matter of time for this appear.

OT: no what you said wont happen, and do you know how i know this? because ppl said the same thing with prefer players getting extra quickbars and that it will lead into a players demanding more and more lax restriction onto the f2p model...i have read these forum everyday since f2p and I HAVE NOT seen any threads where a majority , if not half of the players on this forum or in game continue ask more lax restrictions. ofc some do appear once in a while, but those thread normally simply just get the "no freeloader" responses.

TW-Cool
02.15.2013 , 09:37 AM | #437
I wish they didnt fix this "bug". If they were going to fix a long running bug, they should have made the taxis on Coru and Nar solid and not flashing in and out. That bug fix wouldnt have caused an uproar... The only positive side to this is when I die from a PVP person as I try to do my PVE in Ilum, I dont have to face those high repair costs.

This fix and the change to the GTN search terms really made for a crappy 1.7 update.

Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 09:43 AM | #438
Quote: Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Stop saying the rep cost where higher in 1.2. You are forgetting all the nerfs to chests, rewards, cash from mobs etc. that has occurred in the time between 1.2 and now.

Our income is WAY lower.
They removed some of the chest in lower level FP's so that players couldn't just go in with a a geared or even ungeared 50, steamroll the instance for free blues and possible purples to sell on the AH.

They also added about 400-500k a day in daily rewards, not including the vendor costs of any trash items, or the AH value of any lucky blue or purple drops. BTW, I usually net at least one purple BOE a day doing dailies.

How is our income, or potential income, WAY lower?

iamthehoyden
02.15.2013 , 10:05 AM | #439
Again, high priced mounts and pets are NOT universal credit sinks. Some will choose to buy them and some will choose not to buy them. Repair costs are universal.
I've been doing some looking at the literature about game economies and the necessity of gold sinks and how they should be structured. I haven't seen anything that indicates that gold sinks need to be universal in order to function properly. Gold sinks exist to remove credits from the game economy. As far as I've seen, whether the gold sink is "universal" or will only impact those with excess credits to burn doesn't seem to matter.

Have you found any sources that would indicate a gold sink needs to be universal in order to work?
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 10:13 AM | #440
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I go to this one club and it's really fun. Great drinks, good atmosphere, lots of beautiful women.

Then, one day, they decided that everyone needed a swift kick in the junk on the way in. Well, most of us decided to stop going but a few people loved the club so much they kept going. The rest of us complained to management.

Well, lo and behold after a week of junk-kicking, the clubs's revenues fell so much that they decided to reverse the policy and apologize to us all for the silly mistake. Now most of us are back and the club's as good as ever.

We're asking EA to stop kicking us in the junk. We're not asking for free drinks.
You left the club, and got them to stop kicking you in the junk. That's a good thing, I agree. But what happens when you decide that the drinks there are too expensive? What will you do then? Will you and your cronies take your business elsewhere again, or threaten to do so, in an attempt to get the your preferred club to lower its prices? If they lower the prices on their drinks, what's next? What will be the next thing you want--the next reason to threaten to go elsewhere unless your demands are met?