Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

02.14.2013 , 08:08 PM | #361
Quote: Originally Posted by Solar_Breeze View Post
Personally I still think XP loss is the best penalty for death. De-levelling in a fight because you didn't build enough of an xp reserve was always funny
I thought Vanguard did death penalties the best. It was like EQ dialed way down with multiple ways to recover from the dying, and mutiple ways to escape from wiping in the first place.

02.14.2013 , 08:14 PM | #362
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
I level a number of characters and as I tested it today there is no evidence that what you are saying is true.
Likewise. On all my alts below 50 the repair costs have been as trivial as usual. On my main 50, I saw a roughly 30% increase in repair cost, but that is to be expected considering I was wearing oranges and what proportion enhancements make of the set.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

02.14.2013 , 08:25 PM | #363
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I have been advocating that the difficulty of this game should be drastically increased since I started playing it.

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original post. I think steep penalties for failure in TOR (as it is) are a bad idea. The game is simple and barely an MMO since the vast majority of its players treat it as a solo game. It could use a heavy dose of oldschool MMO challenge re-design but the last two things from oldschool MMO's that anyone should ever think to emulate are the length of time to level and steep penalties for failure.
Yes, I would agree that x00% increases in repair costs do not equal increased difficulty in this game without a major redesign, at least not the kind of difficulty most players I've encountered would find enjoyable.

The fact is there was no major push from the community to enhance the gaming experience by doing what EA has done here. It may not affect some players. Some may be indifferent. But the position by some posters that this is a positive change (not you, as you have clarified) is belied by the absence of tangible community support prior to EA just doing it.

02.14.2013 , 08:29 PM | #364
It seems fairly clear that the vast majority of the posters anyhow all tend to agree. Bad idea, poor manner in which it was explained and no one wants to pay more for something that they get no benefit from.

Something allowed to exist for more then a year is not a bug but a feature.

02.14.2013 , 08:47 PM | #365
Um, when this game first launched repair costs were higher than they are now. You know, back when there were more subscribers. Two deaths in KP (this was soon after release..) could amount to over 50k in repairs. When they reduced the costs it was a MAJOR decrease in repair fees, to the extent that many of us were gleefully shocked. Same goes for extracting mods. 22-25k, if I remember correctly, for each purple, high level mod. I had to do dailies, to keep up with my expenses.

While it's not fun having to pay a higher fee for repairs, I think this also has some positives of making people take wipes a bit more seriously. With the amount of godawful pugs happening lately (apparently I've had extraordinary luck in the past) perhaps now people will actually put a bit of effort into not dying.

Another potential benefit is the possibility that people won't ravage the in-game economy by wiping out markets on the GTN with their lack of basic understanding of economics, or perhaps laziness; heavy undercutting and listing items for vendor price, or less. I've seen items listed for less than the listing fee. Perhaps now, they'll put a bit more thought into how much they're selling things for, seeing as they'll want the extra credits.
Don't be toxic.

02.14.2013 , 08:49 PM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Reason #1...

This is the easiest MMO ever made, with the most inconsequential penalties for dying since Duke Nukem. Putting in a penalty of any significance may lead some to believe that it is actually an MMO.

Don't be toxic.

02.14.2013 , 08:57 PM | #367
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicolettexiv View Post
Hyperbole? If this game is no longer targeted at casuals, BW/EA should say so. At least I know where I am standing then and would have a foolproof reason to unsub. This current mish mash of direction the game is heading toward is a PR fiasco. And they do it all over again with every thing they implement. It's just not funny anymore.

02.14.2013 , 08:57 PM | #368
Quote: Originally Posted by Angry_Ferth View Post
I'm a bit confused by the conclusion that people upset about the repair cost increase just want things handed to them.

Not one person has insisted that something be handed to them for nothing. Everyone still wants to experience the content, they want to earn their gear through learning the mechanics of the fights, winning those fights and getting the appropriate drops therein. What they don't want is 3+ hours of mindless grinding to be able to afford to do that.

The penalty for failure is the time you spent trying, and the fact that when you fail you have to start over. No one can magically progress from dying enough. There's no point in an op where the game decides you tried hard enough so the raid boss switches to easy mode.

We don't need exorbitant repair bills on top of that. Back in 1.2 they lowered repair costs for end game gear because it made end game progression prohibitive. That is still the case. It doesn't matter if you personally have millions of credits and don't care if you have to spend more on repairs.

It doesn't matter if you are in a guild that is run like a business that has millions of credits to pay for everyone's repair bills.

Just because the mechanic is not prohibitive for you specifically doesn't mean it's not prohibitive in general.

The one thing I will agree on is that we can no longer make any progress from debate on this subject. We need official word from Bioware as to whether or not this "fix" is working as intended, and if it is, what was their reasoning in implementing it, at which point we can start making a case for or against the change.

My guess is that since we have had no word at all it is probably not working as intended and they probably have no clue where the mistake is, and until they can find it don't want to say anything.

Granted my viewpoint is on the optimistic side, but really I can't fathom that this change was intentional given how divisive it has been.
No, but this may insure that people do their research prior to joining an Op, it may increase raid awareness, and possibly encourage them to work for just a few more upgrades (via dailies) before jumping into a HM EC/TFB run.

My raid groups aren't considering quitting. Because we run dailies (500k+ credits for one day, on one character - they're pretty much handing it to you, they're so easy.) We also craft in-demand items, materials, and run crew missions to generate revenue. The repair fees used to be much higher, and with so little need for credits, I think it's impacted the games economy, as no one really needed the money.

Guild Wars 2 is a successful game. It is a very, very slow process to earn gold. You have to either craft exceptional items, or sell materials that are rare to make any headway. This game practically throws credits at you. If someone is willing to unsub (which is proclaimed so often it's reminiscent of a dramatic wife threatening divorce over spilled milk..) or stop playing due to the costs of failure (that you can work to avoid) - expenses that are easy to cover, if one is willing to work for it -- then I think they may not know how easy they have it in this game.
Don't be toxic.

02.14.2013 , 09:00 PM | #369
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicolettexiv View Post
This game practically throws credits at you.
You are very funny.

02.14.2013 , 09:06 PM | #370
Quote: Originally Posted by Angry_Ferth View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

I agree wholeheartedly. Challenge should be derived from the mechanics of the encounters within the game. Gating content with boring, repetitive grind work is the least effective, least enjoyable method of design possible.
Smart people create their own challenge..................they arent interested in foisting their version of "challenge" off on everyone else.