Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tdgesq
02.14.2013 , 06:40 PM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Reason #1...

This is the easiest MMO ever made, with the most inconsequential penalties for dying since Duke Nukem. Putting in a penalty of any significance may lead some to believe that it is actually an MMO.
And where were you advocating this urgent and necessary change prior to the patch?

ivanhedgehog
02.14.2013 , 06:50 PM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
So, let me get this straight. You and your guild know that there are ways you can handle the increased cost for repairs, but are unwilling to make the changes needed, so it's up to BW/EA to lower the costs, even if it was a legitimate bug fix?
do bw/ea want to remain employed or will they watch sub numbers circle the drain?

TheSkate
02.14.2013 , 06:51 PM | #353
Reason #1...

This is the easiest MMO ever made, with the most inconsequential penalties for dying since Duke Nukem. Putting in a penalty of any significance may lead some to believe that it is actually an MMO.
Where does the description of a Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game imply that there should be "a penalty of any significance"?
Massively? No mention of penalties there.
Multiplayer? No mention of penalties there either.
Online? Nope, not here.
I'm not seeing the requirement for your significant penalties anywhere.
Oh well, it must just be that I don't understand those three words properly.

Game. That must be it. By calling it a game THAT must be what requires people to pay this penalty.
"Blah blah blah, yackity smackity, and a nice cold glass of orange juice"
Hugh Tasmanian Devil

ivanhedgehog
02.14.2013 , 06:51 PM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by RorCorps View Post
It would seem the people who have been paying higher costs would disagree with you that this isn't a legitimate bug. Are we to just say "well, sucks to be you, been this way for a year trollololol."

And the priceless part is you actually included that line that I bolded, while people were already paying more for the same thing.
the change affectewd all moddable gear..not just orange.....so who exactly has been raiding in greens and blues?

Hyfy
02.14.2013 , 06:58 PM | #355
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
But the problem is that a broken gold sink is not positive for the game. A game with a broken economy hurts all players and eventually the game goes away. The bad logic is assuming a broken gold sink is good for the game. It is not.

Eventually? Everyone does. See above.

All good ideas, but again a truly effective gold sink needs to be universal. Gambling sinks are not as not everyone is going to gamble. Therefore the only true effective gold sink in the game is the repair cost. Most certainly I would advocate for lowering that cost somewhat if additional gold sinks are added to the game. However, this is what we have so it is necessary to ensure it continues to be effective.

BJ
I just used those as examples of some of the ones I remembered off the top of my head. There have been others. The point is there are other ideas out there other than what they did. Not everything has to be an across the board hit on people either. Some people don't have the time and resources to be a.big contributing factor to a super saturated market as I think.we are seeing. But if you put some of these other types of money sinks into the game you will see those with expendable income, as it were, the ones who would be contributing most to a super saturated market will start spending money on them. No its not a perfect system but its a might bit better than what they decided was the best solution so far.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

mothear
02.14.2013 , 07:08 PM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
unless that person has no 50's and repair costs are eating them alive leveling....will you do dailies for them? stop being selfish and think about others
I level a number of characters and as I tested it today there is no evidence that what you are saying is true.

-IceHawk-
02.14.2013 , 07:20 PM | #357
Died twice on Ilum in the PVE area today; running with all 61/63 gear.

Repair bill was 45,000 credits and nothing was under 50%.

Normally, I can only hit 30,000 credits for repair bills when I wipe multiple times and have numerous pieces south of 30%!

I am not liking this....

CosmicKat
02.14.2013 , 07:30 PM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by tdgesq View Post
And where were you advocating this urgent and necessary change prior to the patch?
I have been advocating that the difficulty of this game should be drastically increased since I started playing it.

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original post. I think steep penalties for failure in TOR (as it is) are a bad idea. The game is simple and barely an MMO since the vast majority of its players treat it as a solo game. It could use a heavy dose of oldschool MMO challenge re-design but the last two things from oldschool MMO's that anyone should ever think to emulate are the length of time to level and steep penalties for failure.

Solar_Breeze
02.14.2013 , 07:39 PM | #359
I have been advocating that the difficulty of this game should be drastically increased since I started playing it.

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original post. I think steep penalties for failure in TOR (as it is) are a bad idea. The game is simple and barely an MMO since the vast majority of its players treat it as a solo game. It could use a heavy dose of oldschool MMO challenge re-design but the last two things from oldschool MMO's that anyone should ever think to emulate are the length of time to level and steep penalties for failure.
Personally I still think XP loss is the best penalty for death. De-levelling in a fight because you didn't build enough of an xp reserve was always funny

Angry_Ferth
02.14.2013 , 07:53 PM | #360

Thank you for the clarification.

I agree wholeheartedly. Challenge should be derived from the mechanics of the encounters within the game. Gating content with boring, repetitive grind work is the least effective, least enjoyable method of design possible.