Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

lordnortamos
02.14.2013 , 05:14 PM | #331
Ok, do you know how bad repair costs are in WoW? Pretty much as bad as this, and people don't seem to complain about it there. Soooo you have it easy and buzz off basically
Favorite Star Wars quotes:
1. Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger right now!!!
2. HK-47: Dammit master I am an assassination droid not a dictionary!

slafko
02.14.2013 , 05:16 PM | #332
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
The patch fixed that and now have brought the adaptive gear in line with what everyone else was paying.
It's a miracle then how my repair costs went up three times without me wearing a single piece of adaptive armor. To make matters worse, this miracle is not limited solely to me. I could have lived with being that one special snowflake, but this... This just makes me want to ask for handouts.

Blackardin
02.14.2013 , 05:16 PM | #333
Quote: Originally Posted by Kailuchad View Post
2hours of hm ec with 3 new people equaled lots of wipes and almost a 300k repair bill, my guild does help with repair cost, but we are not a large guild. we can not afford to run an op and pay for everyone bills. Our credits are used to purchase mats, tip crafters and loans to guild members, not to provide an in game welfare system to brigde the gap of repair costs. please fix this bw.

Also agree with what is said above^^
You are going to hear, "its fine" from the very few well established raiding guilds who's members spend inordinate amounts of their life in this game, for whom a repeated large repair bill is no issue. For the rest of the players. It will matter a great deal.

This one is going to blow up in their faces. Heck, it already is. My low level tank was getting instant queues until last night. Waiting up to an hour now. My main? Not running Ops for the sake of running ops, helping others gear, or anything else. If its not progression that will yield me gear worth 300k in repairs, its not happening. I'd have to be a bit of an idiot to do otherwise.

The problem this has created is written like a flash burnt across the sky. If one is not seeing it, they simply do not want to.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Blackardin
02.14.2013 , 05:18 PM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by lordnortamos View Post
Ok, do you know how bad repair costs are in WoW? Pretty much as bad as this, and people don't seem to complain about it there. Soooo you have it easy and buzz off basically
This is not true. I've raided in both games. The cost is vastly different. In fact, Blizzard lowered repair bills for the same reason.

slafko
02.14.2013 , 05:20 PM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by lordnortamos View Post
So, what you're saying is - if a group of people eats Blizzard's excrement in silence, we - the players of SWTOR - should follow suit and eat BioWare's, comforted by the knowledge that we "had it easy" once?

Excuse me while I go shoot myself in the foot.

Jennica
02.14.2013 , 05:20 PM | #336
The repair costs were broken in that not all players were being charged the correct amount for the costs. The patch fixed that and now have brought the adaptive gear in line with what everyone else was paying. Whether a new bug was introduced or not because of this fix still remains to be determined.BJ
Yes, but the repair costs are too high right now, especially for casual players. I see nothing wrong in lowering them.

BJWyler
02.14.2013 , 05:26 PM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
It's a miracle then how my repair costs went up three times without me wearing a single piece of adaptive armor. To make matters worse, this miracle is not limited solely to me. I could have lived with being that one special snowflake, but this... This just makes me want to ask for handouts.
It could be more than just that, I am assuming adaptive gear was at least part of the issue, but since I don't wear it can't say for certain. Again, if there was a new bug introduced that affects this issue, by all means it needs to be fixed as well. As I said before, I don't like repair costs but understand it is needed for the betterment of the game, so I haven't kept close count on what mine are, so can't really say how much of a difference I have noticed at this point.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jennica View Post
Yes, but the repair costs are too high right now, especially for casual players. I see nothing wrong in lowering them.
Not for the couple of casual playing friends I have in RL. They also can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Blackardin
02.14.2013 , 05:27 PM | #338
There are effective gold sinks - that's why games use them (and employ bonafide economists as consultants). The repair costs were broken in that not all players were being charged the correct amount for the costs. The patch fixed that and now have brought the adaptive gear in line with what everyone else was paying. Whether a new bug was introduced or not because of this fix still remains to be determined.

BJ

A quote from another thread:

All our progression teams - in one of the largest guild on Dalborra - have effectively stopped. What's worse 6 out of 8 in my raid team have contemplated cancelling their subscription and moving on. To be honest, After more than a year of playing this was the first time I actually checked as well when my subscription is due and when it's convenient to cancel ...

Regardless of what anyone personally thinks of the cost, this is what will transpire. Many of us are holding on by our toenails, hoping for game improvements. I don't think many can stand another bit of aggravation or disappointment in this game. They are certainly not up for any further feelings of being taken advantage of.

Call it what you will. Explain it away however you wish....but the camel's back is breaking.

Angry_Ferth
02.14.2013 , 05:30 PM | #339
I'm a bit confused by the conclusion that people upset about the repair cost increase just want things handed to them.

Not one person has insisted that something be handed to them for nothing. Everyone still wants to experience the content, they want to earn their gear through learning the mechanics of the fights, winning those fights and getting the appropriate drops therein. What they don't want is 3+ hours of mindless grinding to be able to afford to do that.

The penalty for failure is the time you spent trying, and the fact that when you fail you have to start over. No one can magically progress from dying enough. There's no point in an op where the game decides you tried hard enough so the raid boss switches to easy mode.

We don't need exorbitant repair bills on top of that. Back in 1.2 they lowered repair costs for end game gear because it made end game progression prohibitive. That is still the case. It doesn't matter if you personally have millions of credits and don't care if you have to spend more on repairs.

It doesn't matter if you are in a guild that is run like a business that has millions of credits to pay for everyone's repair bills.

Just because the mechanic is not prohibitive for you specifically doesn't mean it's not prohibitive in general.

The one thing I will agree on is that we can no longer make any progress from debate on this subject. We need official word from Bioware as to whether or not this "fix" is working as intended, and if it is, what was their reasoning in implementing it, at which point we can start making a case for or against the change.

My guess is that since we have had no word at all it is probably not working as intended and they probably have no clue where the mistake is, and until they can find it don't want to say anything.

Granted my viewpoint is on the optimistic side, but really I can't fathom that this change was intentional given how divisive it has been.

BJWyler
02.14.2013 , 05:34 PM | #340
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
A quote from another thread:

All our progression teams - in one of the largest guild on Dalborra - have effectively stopped. What's worse 6 out of 8 in my raid team have contemplated cancelling their subscription and moving on. To be honest, After more than a year of playing this was the first time I actually checked as well when my subscription is due and when it's convenient to cancel ...

Regardless of what anyone personally thinks of the cost, this is what will transpire. Many of us are holding on by our toenails, hoping for game improvements. I don't think many can stand another bit of aggravation or disappointment in this game. They are certainly not up for any further feelings of being taken advantage of.

Call it what you will. Explain it away however you wish....but the camel's back is breaking.
And many other guilds aren't stopping at all - including my casual progression guild. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more