Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 03:37 PM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
So is it possible to avoid repair bills by just jumping off cliffs right before the mob/boss kills you?
I believe they have some check in for combat in recent seconds, as i've gotten repair costs after soloing EoT and jumping down the pit to just spawn back at quest start

(tested it by summoning repairing at portable repair droid first then jumping to death)

Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 03:38 PM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Was the 0 repair death due to a fall or something the game could have seen as a fall?
No, definitely not was at one of the pylons... at first I thought it was due to being hit by a red flag'ed companion in the same area (that area is horrible due to everyone being flagged from the other quests and rampant aoes and tab target mistakes...) but then I realized that PvP deaths in the area cost repair costs. So wasn't that.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Levity
02.14.2013 , 03:38 PM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
There is a difference between adapting to a change in mechanics or adapting to a difficult challenge then adapting to an arbitrary cost whose increase provides no increase in difficulty only increase in overhead.

For example if there were now a tax each time you started an operation of 300k credits you bet everyone would be in arms about it and rightfully so. Doesn't mean I won't just pay it and move on with my life, but it is just a bad design decision.
Repair costs are in every MMO and are expected. What you proposed there is just rediculous lol.

Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 03:39 PM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
I believe they have some check in for combat in recent seconds, as i've gotten repair costs after soloing EoT and jumping down the pit to just spawn back at quest start

(tested it by summoning repairing at portable repair droid first then jumping to death)
Depends on boss... for example charging TFB and getting sucked up into the gate incurs 0 repair costs.

However keep in mind that any damage even not death incurs some repair costs so could have been damage you already incurred before jumping to death.

Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 03:40 PM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
Repair costs are in every MMO and are expected. What you proposed there is just rediculous lol.
I was using it as an illustration. The key here is the increase in costs seems to have no function except as a side effect of a code fix. If it were for economics, fine... if it were for any other reason fine... but in this case it was arbitrary and untested.

Kiniski
02.14.2013 , 03:40 PM | #256
So when you run a new fp or op you don't have to adapt to the mechanics?

Oh you must just never do that since you don't want to adapt to a thing, or if you do, you're that guy that stands in fire and goes Y AM I DIEING Y IS HEALER NOT HEALING ME, SO NOOB

What do you do when your class gets nerfed? you have to adapt to that, do you just stop playing?
So n00b healers never going to be good healers, all going to be dps, and you not play anymore, baka, gameplay is not the same as game fun, so far was nice until this fix, so, no, i don't "adapt" to a frustrating game, for that I have demond souls or dark slouls, an mmo is a game to learn, to evolve, no a game for 15 years old "**** all" people like you, you cannot do a hard fp or op alone, belive me, even n00bs are good when you have 3 hours waiting for an op.

Jenovan
02.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #257
If there is a bug and if the costs are higher then intended, that's fine, they can fix it. However if these costs are what they intended, then they are what they intended and people just need to adapt to it
This is the issue for at least some of us -- we don't even know if the costs are as intended, and given the bizarre disparity in effect*, it's somewhat difficult to believe it is.

A dev post with some math, like we used to occasionally get in the class forums, would be awesome right about now.

*Are some of the numbers being exaggerated or simply falsely remembered? I'm sure they are. But I trust my guildies, and I expect you do as well, to comment as accurately as they can on the matter, and what we're seeing is peculiar.
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
There is a difference between adapting to a change in mechanics or adapting to a difficult challenge then adapting to an arbitrary cost whose increase provides no increase in difficulty only increase in overhead.

For example if there were now a tax each time you started an operation of 300k credits you bet everyone would be in arms about it and rightfully so. Doesn't mean I won't just pay it and move on with my life, but it is just a bad design decision.
Fairly ridiculous example, and you do say you'd just adapt to it.

I honestly just don't see why this is such a big deal, there are plenty of ways to get money to cover the repair costs, whether it be dailies, crafting, or selling resources, or more. People didn't really need to do these before because often the runs would cover any costs.

The casuals seem to be the one ************ the most about this, which, to me, seems like it should be hurting them the least.

Furiel
02.14.2013 , 03:42 PM | #259
Several things have become abundantly clear in this thread...

1) the only people who seem to be for this change are a bunch of ultra-elitists folks from world/server first guilds, and there are only a handful of them who are very vocal
2) those same people are by their own admission trolling because apparently they have nothing better to do
3) these same people also have no potential financial issues by virtue of their playstyle and guild
4) the vast majority of the posters between all the threads on this subject are extremely displeased with the change and there are people voting with their wallets, and those in that displeased majority run the gamut from server/world first progression players who also have no financial issues but see the negative impact, to those more casual players who will have a significant gameplay impact due to this change
5) there are guilds who have suspended raiding (including my own by request of my guildmates, I wanted to continue but was outvoted)
6) BW doesn't seem to care because they refuse to say anything on the subject
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 03:43 PM | #260
Fairly ridiculous example, and you do say you'd just adapt to it.

I honestly just don't see why this is such a big deal, there are plenty of ways to get money to cover the repair costs, whether it be dailies, crafting, or selling resources, or more. People didn't really need to do these before because often the runs would cover any costs.

The casuals seem to be the one ************ the most about this, which, to me, seems like it should be hurting them the least.
Casuals are the ones who don't have the time to grind anything (crafting, dailies, whatever) to make the credits to cover the 3-10x increase in repair costs they incur doing what they play the game for. Hurts casuals the MOST, not the least.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer