Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

wargonglok's Avatar


wargonglok
02.14.2013 , 02:44 PM | #161
Im in columi gear and was doing hte event when i was flagged by the Aoe exploit.

i was then ganked and my repair bill was like 30k!!!! what!! for one death, that was a pvp death when someone ganked me during a champ fight, I got punished by that much.

**(Main Point)**
I believe that this is some attempt to get us to buy cartel items and sell them on GTN, making them money, so that we can continue to enjoy our game.
Sniper, 'nough said

justiceface's Avatar


justiceface
02.14.2013 , 02:44 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
So what you are saying is hey devs this is our game, we make the rules, put what we want into the game or we will quit.

And the devs will say.

This is our game. We will do what we want with our game. So go ahead and quit.

If you really don't think they think like that then I don't know what to tell you. "Take away something that makes me spend money." That's asking for a handout.
And as I said I've been paying 40-50k repair bills, so it didn't effect me as it is others. But guess what? Whenever someone said "Oh my repair bill was 8k." After whiping TFB HM 20 times and mine was 80-100. That annoyed me but I chose to enjoy the game and keep making money. And I just saw more dailies are the bane of existance... Well go read my initial post please.
If it were me standing up, banging on a table, by myself, demanding a change be made, then yes your statement would make a lot of sense. Thing is, it's not just me, the reaction so far has been overwhelmingly negative. why keep it? being stubborn is great way to lose business in a crowded market.

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 02:45 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
How about you quit being a jerk? Your insults and condescending attitude are not appreciated here, or anywhere.

I do work. I have 3 jobs already. This is my leasure time activity. I run BH and section X twice a week, once each on 2 different chars for comms and cash. And I progression raid because that is the only challenge I find in this game. And progression raiding is NOT a job contrary to your beliefs.

All of my spare money I funnel back into my guild and keeping the guild stocked with stims and other consumables for raiding. As such my companions are generally tasked with gather mats and/or making consumables for my guild, so I can't gain money doing crew skills. My repair costs went up 2.5 times on Tuesday and I can't continue to do raid regularly and keep making stims for the guild because it's too cost prohibitive to do both with my limited time. Looking at what my repair costs are now I will have to do dailies an equal amount of time that I spend raiding just to afford my repair costs alone. That doesn't count consumable production costs just for me, much less my guildies. Any leasure/fun activity should not require equal amounts of boring, mindless grinding compared to the actual fun parts.

I understand that it's an MMO and some grind is to be expected. I do not want or ask for a handout. I want the fun ratio to be readjusted back to where it was for me and most other people. It used to be around 10-15% grind the rest fun, at least for me. Now it's closer to 60% grind, 40% fun. And if you are not having fun the majority of the time doing a "fun" activity, then there is no point in doing it. And that's where most casual players are. This change makes the game more grind than game, and that's the core of the problem. A number of people due to their current wealth, their guilds wealth or whatever,can afford it and that's fine for them. But they are the minority. For the majority it makes the game less fun for them. And anything that makes it less fun for the vast majority of players is not a good thing and needs to be adjusted.
You need a better way of running your guild instead of you stocking everything then. (Not trying to be harsh.) My entire guild pitches in 100k per week per person into the guild bank. We drop every stim/mat that is excess into the guild bank as well as low lvl gear for others. I put a lot into helping the guild out but my crew skills still make me over amounts of money.

Ceyvel's Avatar


Ceyvel
02.14.2013 , 02:45 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by ZavienUK View Post
I'm in the category of 3 above - credit poor - and now have to run dalies just to afford to play the parts of the game I enjoy.
Following this logic, we should make Nightmare mode have lower experience threshold, because somebody likes to do Nightmare modes, but doesn't want to spend time on that in order to do something he enjoys.

You can do story or hard mode content, if you wipe too much in Nightmare, which causes you to spend more money, than you get without doing daily quests.

The argument boils down to the fact, that whether Nightmare mode should require people put effort into preparation or we should have no such requirement for Nightmare mode and allow people who log only just for ops be able to sustain his wealth.

lordnortamos's Avatar


lordnortamos
02.14.2013 , 02:45 PM | #165
Credits are easy to get, they're almost as plentiful as getting sand on Tatooine (and almost as easy)
Favorite Star Wars quotes:
1. Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger right now!!!
2. HK-47: Dammit master I am an assassination droid not a dictionary!

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 02:45 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Actually inflation is the minus side. Again, repair costs are what are typically known as a gold sink. Without such sinks in the game, players who have more time to play and farm will begin to accrue a much larger sum of in game currency than the casual player. As a result, the player-driven costs of items is driven up as only those players are the ones paying the higher prices for those items. As a result, more and more items become unreachable for the casual player because they simply cannot make as much money in the same amount of time.


Hey that's my line (except for the quitting part)!

BJ
Yes, to quote myself from several posts previous:

Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
I disagree.

Cash sinks exist to offset cash creation due to mechanics. I.E. they make the economy balance out so there isn't hyperinflation.

That is the only reason they exist in games. Because you can create money (through killing things/etc) there has to be a place money is destroyed. That can be through buying skills, legacy unlocks or the like.

The only reason to increase a cash sink is if there is an in balance in the in game economy and you start seeing hyperinflation. (i.e. people having enough disposable income that even basic goods go for a lot of money) As far as I can tell from monitoring the GTN, no such imbalance currently exists. Hence why a change of this nature is completely unnecessary.

In fact eliminating the dailies entirely would lessen the need for repair costs as there would be less credit faucets.

But basically there to my knowledge has been no sign of increased inflation to cause a need to increase the cash sinks. Certainly not to the extent that this change seems to inadvertently done.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:46 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
EXACTLY! Selfish attitudes of players who fail to see the bigger picture. This impacts the game NEGATIVELY. There's NO positive to this change.
the only negative to it is that people have to run dailies, it's not that big of a deal. you are making much more of a deal out of it then you should be.

Done with this thread QQ'ers are most likely going to win out in the end anyways as they typically do. Who knows eventually you QQ'ers and people who want it easier will get this game to the same state that WoW is in, where you don't even buy your skills anymore, they are automatically awarded to you upon leveling up,

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.14.2013 , 02:47 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
We evolve or we die - kai leng.

There I said it again.

If you can't adapt to the situation, stop playing. Stop leaving the fleet.

Infact, don't log in if the big bad monster is going to hurt poor wittle tux.
Personal attacks for a differing opinion huh?! Classy. That sells your point well.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Larity's Avatar


Larity
02.14.2013 , 02:48 PM | #169
Funny thing is, about half of you spent the amount of time arguing on the forums and on other threads when you could of been in game, running the dailies, and being fine.

justiceface's Avatar


justiceface
02.14.2013 , 02:48 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
No, the community isn't largely opposed to this. Nor are they largely for this.

Us few arguing aren't the large community. There are quite a numerous number of people who generally don't care.

Do you see them on the forum? do you see them complaining in game? or did they just realize, "oh, its more, guess I gotta get a few more credits" and just continue playing.

They adapted.
So you decided to ignore a sample and that's supposed to make a convincing argument? your thinking may need some adapting, or is it evolving, I'm not sure which one you wanted to use this time.