Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BJWyler
02.14.2013 , 02:32 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
Minus sides
None. The only complaint I can come up with at all to this is "well I have plenty of money so who cares". Just because you are well off doesn't mean everyone else is. If you have enough money or a guild mechanism that means you aren't affected by this then this decision doesn't affect you one way or another, so butt out.
Actually inflation is the minus side. Again, repair costs are what are typically known as a gold sink. Without such sinks in the game, players who have more time to play and farm will begin to accrue a much larger sum of in game currency than the casual player. As a result, the player-driven costs of items is driven up as only those players are the ones paying the higher prices for those items. As a result, more and more items become unreachable for the casual player because they simply cannot make as much money in the same amount of time.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I do work. SWTOR is a game. When it becomes "work", I'll quit.
Hey that's my line (except for the quitting part)!

Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
But again, missing the point. That is two hours that are pointless. There is no challenge in doing what you propose. Hell I could probably code a bot to do it if I were so inclined.

I.E. bad game design.
No - that's the core of MMO design. Grind and treadmills are what keep people playing (and paying). There have been variations throughout the years, but the core essence of MMO gameplay is treadmills.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:33 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by tortcat View Post
Again, why would ANYONE want to pay more for something?

That's the issue in a nutshell. it's been this way for a year, now its much higher but I get no benefit form this ( nor does anyone of course).

I cannot really understand why anyone would not have some issue with this. Perhaps next time you buy something in game, just pay double, as if paying alot more for the same thing you have had for a year doesn't matter then why not just pay more for everything?
credits aren't hard to get in this game, this increase in price is negligible, i will repeat again, if the prices were this way from the start, no one would be complaining now, you just got used to the easy nature and are crying about it being slightly harder now. less QQ pls

Ceyvel
02.14.2013 , 02:33 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
GM here as well, and it is not an issue for us. Essentially, the guild bank is available for repairs but everyone has a cap on how much they can use in repairs per week. That coupled with players diligently contributing to the bank on a weekly basis makes the repair costs a mild annoyance nothing more.

So... essentially, the guild and players are dividing up the hit and it isn't a huge deal at the moment.

Ops are running as scheduled.
Absolutely the same situation here.
Moreover, we came to consensus, that higher cost of a failure across-the-board makes us want to perform better.

We can all agree that death had a fairly insignificant penalty in this game, prior to the patch. Most of guildies find themselves trying to avoid death more often now and the majority of us are happy about it. I don't see why it sounds so surprising to some people.

Larity
02.14.2013 , 02:34 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by justiceface View Post
I get it. Reading is hard. So i'll repeat myself. The change is only for moddable gear, the change is not just affecting moddable gear. Most of the community doesnt want it, most of the community seems to hate it. What is the justification for the change?
I get it, reading is hard, so I'll write what the patch notes said for you.

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

It doesn't specify modable gear but it mentions enhancements add to the price now too.

You can augment any gear (except the matrix shard)

I know its a broad statement, but its not as simple as saying "MODABLE GEAR ONLY"

ScarletBlaze
02.14.2013 , 02:34 PM | #145
There can be reasons out of a person's control they are dying. I used to die more than I do now. The major reason was my computer lagged a lot. Some people don't have the luxury of being able to purchase a new computer like I did so this is something beyond their control.

We can't blame the person who is dying more than someone else without looking at the reasons. If you lag your actions are slowed down.

I have heard pros and cons about the repair costs and maybe it is something they need to look into. If too many people are saying the costs are out of hand it will not hurt them to check into.

Yes some of us have a great guild but some of us don't and some of us can't play as much as the next person. All this should be taken into consideration with regard to the repair costs.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:34 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceyvel View Post
Absolutely the same situation here.
Moreover, we came to consensus, that higher cost of a failure across-the-board makes us want to perform better. We can all agree that death had a fairly insignificant penalty in this game, prior to the patch. Most of guildies find themselves trying to avoid death more often now and the majority are happy about it.
this, it encourages tighter play, it encourages better play.

No penalties means "if i die so what"

penalties means "I can't die unless i want to be punished"

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:36 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
If you die a lot, then look at why you are dying, think of other things to do to increase your chance at success and then execute it.
There can be reasons out of a person's control they are dying. I used to die more than I do now. The major reason was my computer lagged a lot. Some people don't have the luxury of being able to purchase a new computer like I did so this is something beyond their control.

We can't blame the person who is dying more than someone else without looking at the reasons. If you lag your actions are slowed down.
having a poor computer is 100% in someones control *** are you talking about

TUXs
02.14.2013 , 02:36 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
Then quit, because if you can't handle 10-30k credits, I'm sorry, you shouldn't be wearing that gear.

It's not like running the dailies one time a week will settle the bill for a week. Or that you make 400-600k from a run.

No, not at all.
You're telling me to quit because I don't find grinding daily missions "fun"? And no...you do not make 400-600k from a run. Not even close.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:37 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
You're telling me to quit because I don't find grinding daily missions "fun"? And no...you do not make 400-600k from a run. Not even close.
from a full run of dalies, every planet yes you do, he even provided the numbers

ZavienUK
02.14.2013 , 02:37 PM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by Daemonson View Post

1. People are more hostile towards new players in flashpoints.
Due to increased repair costs people are less forgiving of new players in flashpoints whose mistakes cause wipes. Instead of explaining the issues and working with the player people will just be kicked because nobody wants to pay 10k a wipe because of a single player.

3. Casual players can't afford it.
If a person wants to only play a few hours a week and do some ops/HM's they have to spend most of their other time running dailies. Dailies are boring and grindy and nobody wants to spend half their time running them just to fund their other activities.
I'm sorry I have not read the whole thread (it's long - which is reassuring sign!), but wanted to jump in to say these are the ones that effect me personally as a casual player. So a new player messes up - but instead of being given the chance to learn they get kicked because the cost to teaching them is too high. But because they got kicked they couldn't learn and even if they don't get scared off they will never be able to learn. Vicious circle ....

I'm in the category of 3 above - credit poor - and now have to run dalies just to afford to play the parts of the game I enjoy.