Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 02:20 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
take 2 hours out of your time, run the belsavis daily, black hole daily, sector x daily, and ilum daily, are not hard, and can easily be solo'd by every class. Easier for stealth, but still easy.

~80k Ilum
~100k Black Hole
~ 80k Sector X
~ 250k Belsavis
~ Daily Flashpoint 17k + turn in quest another 17k
~ Weekly Flashpoint 20-30k

thats about 570k

Repair bill of tionese near yellow, 25k. Repair of columi 30k.

Its not that difficult.
But again, missing the point. That is two hours that are pointless. There is no challenge in doing what you propose. Hell I could probably code a bot to do it if I were so inclined.

I.E. bad game design.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:21 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by astrobearx View Post
so in other words "it doesnt affect me, so i dont care"

nice
i don't know how that says "it doesn't affect me so i don't care"

in fact more accurately it would say "i've adapted, adapt or die"

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 02:21 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by justiceface View Post
It's a big change for people who just hit 50 or are new to the game/still leveling. You and I may have run 8,000 dailies/made millions from crew skills or cartel items/etc. but it doesnt mean everyone has. But the bigger issue here that a small gameplay change was made that wasn't entirely necessary and most people don't like it, why not get rid of it?

Also it's not working the way it should(should only change modded gear repair prices but it's not), and not effecting everyone the same way which would mean it's a bug.
Before I had a 50 though I was making that money, the same way, back before 1.2. When repairs were even more rediculous. And going back to the way it was puts people using non modded gear back to paying more then people with modded gear. It's a two way sword here. And there needs to be a reason for people to not want to die.

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:22 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
But again, missing the point. That is two hours that are pointless. There is no challenge in doing what you propose. Hell I could probably code a bot to do it if I were so inclined.

I.E. bad game design.
cash sinks exist in every game, just because you have to work to get around the cash sink now doesn't make it bad design

the only thing that makes it "bad design" is the fact that it was nearly a year of it not being this way.

If the repair costs were the same as they are now the whole time, it wouldn't be an issue

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 02:23 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
Before I had a 50 though I was making that money, the same way, back before 1.2. When repairs were even more rediculous. And going back to the way it was puts people using non modded gear back to paying more then people with modded gear. It's a two way sword here. And there needs to be a reason for people to not want to die.
There is, its called success vs failure. Death is a feedback loop to tell you you didn't succeed at something, Look at the PvP design in this same game. No repair costs, but death still has implications.

Between the scaled time limit to respawn and the fact that if you die you failed at what you are doing, that is sufficient feedback for most people to choose to avoid doing it.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 02:23 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
cash sinks exist in every game, just because you have to work to get around the cash sink now doesn't make it bad design

the only thing that makes it "bad design" is the fact that it was nearly a year of it not being this way.

If the repair costs were the same as they are now the whole time, it wouldn't be an issue
Agreed.

Larity's Avatar


Larity
02.14.2013 , 02:23 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
But again, missing the point. That is two hours that are pointless. There is no challenge in doing what you propose. Hell I could probably code a bot to do it if I were so inclined.

I.E. bad game design.
And what else would you do in those two hours? Sit on the fleet? Craft? Bs with guild?

Multi-tasking is a nice skill to have.

No, its not bad game design.
Its called an MMO
You want better gear, you grind.
You need money, you grind.

This has been the case in every mmo.

And honestly, you guys think this is expensive for repair?

Go play vindictus and wear their top end armor and run a raid, look at your repair from one run and you'll go "Gee, those ToR repairs are nothing"

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 02:25 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
And what else would you do in those two hours? Sit on the fleet? Craft? Bs with guild?

Multi-tasking is a nice skill to have.

No, its not bad game design.
Its called an MMO
You want better gear, you grind.
You need money, you grind.

This has been the case in every mmo.

And honestly, you guys think this is expensive for repair?

Go play vindictus and wear their top end armor and run a raid, look at your repair from one run and you'll go "Gee, those ToR repairs are nothing"
^ That.
As well as C9.

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
02.14.2013 , 02:26 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
Before I had a 50 though I was making that money, the same way, back before 1.2. When repairs were even more rediculous. And going back to the way it was puts people using non modded gear back to paying more then people with modded gear. It's a two way sword here. And there needs to be a reason for people to not want to die.
Money can be made in this game. I certainly have a decent pile of credits. Not everyone does.

And it doesn't need to go back to the way it was. If using non-modded gear was costing ridiculous amounts in credits to repair, then that should be reduced, not everyone else's raised.

If people aren't willing to try things and die then you get:
- harsher reactions to clueless newbies (and that's already bad enough so making it worse is definitely not a good direction)
- fewer attempts at ops bosses
- fewer guilds doing progression ops

There's no good reason to raise these costs. None.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

justiceface's Avatar


justiceface
02.14.2013 , 02:26 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
take 2 hours out of your time, run the belsavis daily, black hole daily, sector x daily, and ilum daily, are not hard, and can easily be solo'd by every class. Easier for stealth, but still easy.

~80k Ilum
~100k Black Hole
~ 80k Sector X
~ 250k Belsavis
~ Daily Flashpoint 17k + turn in quest another 17k
~ Weekly Flashpoint 20-30k

thats about 570k

Repair bill of tionese near yellow, 25k. Repair of columi 30k.

Its not that difficult.
I get it. Reading is hard. So i'll repeat myself. The change is only for moddable gear, the change is not just affecting moddable gear. Most of the community doesnt want it, most of the community seems to hate it. What is the justification for the change?