Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

More proof BioWare hates crafters and those using the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
More proof BioWare hates crafters and those using the GTN
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NathanEmmott
02.13.2013 , 05:58 PM | #141 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Howdy everyone,

I'm jumping into here to give a little more insight on what happened here. First off, I wanted to apologize for the lack of the patch note at release - that was an oversight on my part.

Now I wanted to address why this change was made, and how it will be changing in the near term. Since we have launched, we have continued to add many more items to the game. As we have added more items, there are more items the GTN needs to search against whenever you enter a search team. What we had been seeing is very broad searches were causing enormous performance problems with the GTN. These performance problems would impact everyone using the GTN and not only the person conducting the search. This actually made the GTN unusable for some players.

For example, if I searched the GTN for "a b" then I would end up causing a performance issues for everyone else using the GTN at the same time. In our efforts to provide a solution and address this, we inadvertently impacted y'all pretty severely and created a wretched inconvenience. This is unacceptable for us.

To that point, we have a possible solution that will solve everyone's needs without crushing the GTN performance. This change will go into a future patch (not tonight’s unscheduled maintenance). However, we feel that this will be a solution that will work for all parties.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and annoyance this has caused everyone. The last thing we want to see is us adding frustration to your experience in-game. I hope this little peek behind the curtain helps explain our rationale and lets you know just how serious we are about fixing this!
SWTOR Systems Designer

MykkDalys
02.13.2013 , 06:01 PM | #142
Other people have already offered good suggestions on how to fix. I am frustrated with the lack of QA.

Why do new games have to reinvent the wheel with Auction Houses? Are they really that difficult to program in 2013? Please improve your search so it fits the real-world parameters of those actually trying to use the GTN. Consider adding right-click item search functionality. A sortable Unit Price column would be nice.

dscount
02.13.2013 , 06:03 PM | #143
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and annoyance this has caused everyone. The last thing we want to see is us adding frustration to your experience in-game.

Um.. NO please fix it today!!! What kind of person do you think is doing a type of search by "A B" on the GTN? You guys really need to pay attention to what you are doing. PTS!!! USE IT FOR ummm. . TESTING?

You could have posted a note in Developers page asking for feedback on this problem before making the bone headed decision to change in a vacuum. EVERYONE and I mean almost EVERYONE is using multiple bits of information to search. Nobody likes sorting thru pages of items to find what is desired.

Sorry for venting.. I use GTN a lot and this change was a complete mess for me, crafters and those looking for very specific items. Typing HILT 27 or Might Hilt 27 should work.
Reference Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT (BW Details > HERE )
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

I'm not asking for much.... maybe some Cake too...

Iggster
02.13.2013 , 06:09 PM | #144
Hello Nathan,

So... What's the plan then? You mention fixing it but I can't actually see the solution in your post.

Maybe you should include the community in this upcoming change. Look what happened to the last one.

Tatile
02.13.2013 , 06:11 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanEmmott View Post
Howdy everyone,

I'm jumping into here to give a little more insight on what happened here. First off, I wanted to apologize for the lack of the patch note at release - that was an oversight on my part.

Now I wanted to address why this change was made, and how it will be changing in the near term. Since we have launched, we have continued to add many more items to the game. As we have added more items, there are more items the GTN needs to search against whenever you enter a search team. What we had been seeing is very broad searches were causing enormous performance problems with the GTN. These performance problems would impact everyone using the GTN and not only the person conducting the search. This actually made the GTN unusable for some players.

For example, if I searched the GTN for "a b" then I would end up causing a performance issues for everyone else using the GTN at the same time. In our efforts to provide a solution and address this, we inadvertently impacted y'all pretty severely and created a wretched inconvenience. This is unacceptable for us.

To that point, we have a possible solution that will solve everyone's needs without crushing the GTN performance. This change will go into a future patch (not tonight’s unscheduled maintenance). However, we feel that this will be a solution that will work for all parties.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and annoyance this has caused everyone. The last thing we want to see is us adding frustration to your experience in-game. I hope this little peek behind the curtain helps explain our rationale and lets you know just how serious we are about fixing this!
Are you testing this new feature before releasing it, at the very least? And will you be proof-reading your patch notes from now on to make sure every intended change is listed, as this isn't the first time you have omitted noticeable changes because you either didn't think they were important or didn't realise they weren't listed.

I presume this will also not be in Tuesday's patch, because we are looking at a "future" patch? How long do you expect this wretched inconvenience to last?

Khallos
02.13.2013 , 06:36 PM | #146
Suggestion: tweak the new functionality so that people can't enter less than 3 text characters, but numbers are excluded, so you can still put in "27" without issue. That shouldn't be hard at all.

Projawa
02.13.2013 , 06:44 PM | #147
Howdy everyone,

Yes the GTN has been laggy. Sometimes at peak hours when I enter "item xyz" i have to press the Search button a few times to get the results to show. But I'd rather click Search 2-3 times than click through 10 pages of items to find what I was looking for. Does each click of Search introduce more load on the servers than just me clicking through the 10 pages of results already generated for my client? Yeah, but it all worked. Instead of leaving the GTN alone until this future patch is ready to go, you reimplement a flawed workaround from last year that induced a lot of anger then and sure enough is provoking more anger now. That doesn't make much sense.

two_beer
02.13.2013 , 06:45 PM | #148

Great! Tell us what it is and let us pound holes in it before you commit valuable programmer time into the new plan.

Oh, and saying "it's a solution that will work for all parties" sounds a lot like managerial speech for "this will suck for everyone".

willybot
02.13.2013 , 07:13 PM | #149
What gets to me most about changes like this is the fact that it was intentional. This isn't a bug or a typo, it was *intended* to function exactly as-is. There is also a series of steps this change went through, from initial brainstorming to design, to approval, to programming, to testing, etc etc. At each step, it was signed off/passed on while thinking the whole idea was brilliant.

The men and women involved in this process aren't fools, even if this was a foolish decision. I genuinely have trouble believing that *somewhere* along the process, it was thought that taking away the ability to search for criteria of two characters was the best solution.

They obviously felt that the existing search lag was a serious enough issue that either:
A) It needed to be fixed very quickly and even a terrible solution was better than the status quo.
or
B) Fixing it a better way (as previously suggested earlier in the thread) required too many resources to take away from recoloring armors for the Cartel Market and this was the best they could manage.

Whatever the reasoning, it seems to me that what they underestimated was the weight of the response.

Projawa
02.13.2013 , 07:14 PM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by AceMcVeer View Post
Why do you fear success Bioware?
Good question