Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"grd plz"

bbare
02.13.2013 , 09:13 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Maelicbod View Post
There is a reason to guard a healer and I'm rather surprised that after 3 pages of discussion it hasn't be stated. If a tank can hold aggro against DPS, guarding a healer is a viable alternative if nothing more then for the 5% reduction in damage the healer would take. Granted the 5% could just be given to a dps, but frankly I'd rather my healer take less damage.
Yep, that is 100% correct. However, because dps are very overpowered in this game with respect to tanks, you almost always will have to guard the dps for the first 20 or so secs of a fight w/ similar gear/skill of course. Because tanking stats add absolutely nothing to aggro generation, the higher tier gear the group has, the harder it gets to keep aggro. You do get some extra mainstat, but the secondary stats are all tanking stats, while the dps gets secondary stats that add to dps which adds to aggro.
The Vanity Legacy

Khevar
02.13.2013 , 09:56 AM | #32
There is a reason to guard a healer and I'm rather surprised that after 3 pages of discussion it hasn't be stated. If a tank can hold aggro against DPS, guarding a healer is a viable alternative if nothing more then for the 5% reduction in damage the healer would take. Granted the 5% could just be given to a dps, but frankly I'd rather my healer take less damage.
Honestly, guard whoever you want during trash pulls, it doesn't make a difference. Just don't expect that guarding someone is going to make up for a failure in the team to do a good job.

When I'm healing the first trash pull in False Emperor and the tank has opened with an area taunt (lulwhut) taken one of the droids, one of the dps is attacking that same droid, and the other dps is attacking the second droid, and nobody is bothering with the two sith or the ranged in the back, when that area taunt wears off I'm going to be killed in 10 seconds by the rest of the group. With the 5% damage reduction I'll last 10.5 seconds. Lawdy lawdy.

Maelicbod
02.13.2013 , 03:40 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Yep, that is 100% correct. However, because dps are very overpowered in this game with respect to tanks, you almost always will have to guard the dps for the first 20 or so secs of a fight w/ similar gear/skill of course. Because tanking stats add absolutely nothing to aggro generation, the higher tier gear the group has, the harder it gets to keep aggro. You do get some extra mainstat, but the secondary stats are all tanking stats, while the dps gets secondary stats that add to dps which adds to aggro.
This is just wrong. My shadow is geared to maintain aggro against DG sentinels who go balls out from the get go of a fight, while still maintain the 30/65/60 mitigation stats that is expected of me. I haven't guarded a dps in quite some time, 50-50 laziness/lack of need. While not all tank classes are created equal where aggro generation is involved, but a blanket claim that tank aggro cannot keep up with DPS aggro is fallacy.

iamthehoyden
02.13.2013 , 03:56 PM | #34
I'm fairly sure that guard only gives that 5% damage reduction in pvp.
Edit: Nevermind, rechecked the ability. 5% damage reduction is in pve as well.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

mikebevo
02.13.2013 , 04:38 PM | #35
when I saw "grd plz" I thought they were talking about Greed Please.

Can't believe 4 pages of this debate again. HMFP are a joke in OP's grear, he needed to giard no one. My healer is lesser geared, but she does not need to be guarded. 5% deduction, onw HoT is more than that.

When I dps I am offended when I'm guarded. Makes me think I don't know my class or role. As a healer I feel it is a waste of time. In case you can't tell I hate guards.

slafko
02.14.2013 , 04:12 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by RandomXChance View Post
This happens all the time, but this one really made me laugh. Using my full Dread Guard Assasin tank with the Warstalker title. Right at the start of the FP a DPS in Columi and the healer both pop out "grd plz". Good thing people try and keep the flashpoints entertaining.
I got that from a healer a few days ago. He was insisting I needed to guard him and going on about it the whole time. The funniest part was at the beginning, however. He insisted that there are no CC's to be usen in The Esseles FP as a shadow tank. You talk dumb stuff like that, you're getting guarded only after you exit the instance.

Never_Hesitate
02.14.2013 , 04:19 AM | #37
This is just wrong. My shadow is geared to maintain aggro against DG sentinels who go balls out from the get go of a fight, while still maintain the 30/65/60 mitigation stats that is expected of me. I haven't guarded a dps in quite some time, 50-50 laziness/lack of need. While not all tank classes are created equal where aggro generation is involved, but a blanket claim that tank aggro cannot keep up with DPS aggro is fallacy.
PT's and Assas/Vanguards and shadows may not have any problems, but on my jugg tank aggro is a whole other thing.
AOE tanking abilities: 2, one on a 15s cd and the othe on 3 mobs, if the mob your hitting with it has 5 stacks of sundering armor.
Aggro generation: very low, because we don't do as much dmg as the other two tanks.

So I have to guard a dps (especially PT's as they don't have an aggro reduce)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Gyronamics
02.14.2013 , 04:35 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
There is no point to ever guard a healer in PvE if the tank and the dps any clue on what they should be doing.
TFB TTFB 2nd phase, guard -> healers.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Hovergame
02.14.2013 , 05:31 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
TFB TTFB 2nd phase, guard -> healers.
You got a point. But I want one too !
What's the point to guard a DPS when you can easily keep the mobs ? Guard the heal, -5% damage could help him !

Never_Hesitate
02.14.2013 , 05:36 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post
You got a point. But I want one too !
What's the point to guard a DPS when you can easily keep the mobs ? Guard the heal, -5% damage could help him !
And what's the reason to guard the healer if you can easily keep the mob? he will not get a lot of dmg as no mobs attack him
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian