Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Episode I better than II or III

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Episode I better than II or III

LanceCorporalDan
02.10.2013 , 06:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
And I was not entertained because it they were terrible. None of them even make sense when paired up against the original three.
Made sense to me, if you look deep enough and have any textual comprehension a skills you can even see references to the original trilogy in the prequels.
Lieutenant Neves
1st Assault Platoon Commander
ALPHA COMPANY
203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion

kirorx
02.11.2013 , 09:12 AM | #22
Alot of the prequel suffered terrible ideas and poor story writting, not terrible movies on there own but terrible story telling, more so when compared to the originals. Probally too many Yes, Men in the GL camp when they wrote these movies.

Terrible Ideas and storyline short cuts (which woulod be a no-no in a literature class)

Padme's death was ridiculous
Anakin being conceived like Jesus
Anakin's turn from good guy to kid killer was a bit too much too soon.
Even order 66 just kinda wrapped things up very quickly

There is no clear cut protagonist for episode 1.

Its obvious that Luke is the hero is episode 4.
He meets all the critera for a main hero,

Luke starts off as just a farm boy, finds out he can be a jedi, meets the typical anti-hero companions, leaves the starter area (this very important for character growth), Rescues the princess and saves the day.

Farm boy to Intergalactic Hero in one film. Classic Hero.

Now EPISODE 1, Who is the Hero?

Qui-Gon?
Characters are supposed to resolve some issue during the course of your story, i dont really think he does that. He just passes the torch to obi-wan and dies, no really conflict resolution.

Obi-wan?
Maybe, but he doesn't even have that many lines and the entire movie, he stays in the ship on tattooine. He does kill Darth Maul, but it little signiface becasue there is no history between them and its not like Obi-wan and we hardly explore the relationship between Obi-wan and Qui Gon.

Anakin?
No way, he does not show up untill half the movie is over and though he does save the day and leave the planet, he never changes. Luke was a nobody turned hero, Anakin was heroic and brave from the begining and saved the day by winning the POD Race,

Jar-Jar or Padme?
They both over come obsticals and both leave there home planet only to return as heros.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

LordRaeth
02.11.2013 , 09:27 AM | #23
My favourite parts of the movies are as follows.

Episode 1 - Obi Wan and Qui Gonn vs Darth Maul with particular emphasis on the Obi Wan and Darth Maul sequence. When I first saw that I was blown away with the energy and co ordination of it.

Episode 2 - When the Jedi rescue Anakin, Padme and Obi Wan. First time we'd seen that amount of jedi on screen at once and it just shouted coolness when they went into their ready positions.

Episode 3 - Difficult one this, no scene screams out at me although Ewan's acting when confronting Anakin at the end was probably the best acting in the three prequels.

Groncho
02.11.2013 , 11:10 AM | #24
Empire Strikes Back all the way
EP 1,2 and 3 are pure marketing tools
I enjoyed them, but nothing like ESB
Ch
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

Smashbrother
02.11.2013 , 10:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Alot of the prequel suffered terrible ideas and poor story writting, not terrible movies on there own but terrible story telling, more so when compared to the originals. Probally too many Yes, Men in the GL camp when they wrote these movies.

Terrible Ideas and storyline short cuts (which woulod be a no-no in a literature class)

Padme's death was ridiculous
Anakin being conceived like Jesus
Anakin's turn from good guy to kid killer was a bit too much too soon.
Even order 66 just kinda wrapped things up very quickly

There is no clear cut protagonist for episode 1.

Its obvious that Luke is the hero is episode 4.
He meets all the critera for a main hero,

Luke starts off as just a farm boy, finds out he can be a jedi, meets the typical anti-hero companions, leaves the starter area (this very important for character growth), Rescues the princess and saves the day.

Farm boy to Intergalactic Hero in one film. Classic Hero.

Now EPISODE 1, Who is the Hero?

Qui-Gon?
Characters are supposed to resolve some issue during the course of your story, i dont really think he does that. He just passes the torch to obi-wan and dies, no really conflict resolution.

Obi-wan?
Maybe, but he doesn't even have that many lines and the entire movie, he stays in the ship on tattooine. He does kill Darth Maul, but it little signiface becasue there is no history between them and its not like Obi-wan and we hardly explore the relationship between Obi-wan and Qui Gon.

Anakin?
No way, he does not show up untill half the movie is over and though he does save the day and leave the planet, he never changes. Luke was a nobody turned hero, Anakin was heroic and brave from the begining and saved the day by winning the POD Race,

Jar-Jar or Padme?
They both over come obsticals and both leave there home planet only to return as heros.
Not that I like the prequels all that much, but this isn't 1950 and you don't need a single protagonist. A New Hop is also a massive cliche of the stereotypical hero story that has been done to death a million times over in the thousands of years literature has existed. It's why that movie was panned when it came out.

There's no single protagonist in the LOTR movies either, and those are all excellent.

kirorx
02.11.2013 , 10:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Not that I like the prequels all that much, but this isn't 1950 and you don't need a single protagonist. A New Hop is also a massive cliche of the stereotypical hero story that has been done to death a million times over in the thousands of years literature has existed. It's why that movie was panned when it came out.

There's no single protagonist in the LOTR movies either, and those are all excellent.
I always thought the main hero in LOTR was Frodo.

It's not that it has to be traditional, but there has to be conflict with characaters; some overal thing that causes the character to change in some way.
This is supposed to be done for all characters really and no matter how small must be overcome by the end.

I put a little link here about types of conflict its pretty neat IMO. I am just sharing this link because it's interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_(narrative)

Conflict was my over all issue in the prequels.
Han for instance over comes a conflict; When you first meet him on Tatooine, he is all about the credits, not saving some princess (unless he gets a reward), but in the end he risked his life to save a person he hardly knew.

I felt that Anakin was too heroic from the get go and he never changed, same for all the characters. They just did not have the growth.

In fact overall the most heroic and developed character in Phantom iMenace, is probally, and i hate to say this...
Jar Jar, he was bansihed from his home and his people, went on a long quest and retuned with the Naboo to help defend his home.

IMO had Jar-Jar not been slap-stick comedy they could have done a lot with him. He could have still be comedic and young in the first film but 10 years later, he could have become a general and matured as a character. Instead he was unaffected by time completly, which is odd.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

Smashbrother
02.11.2013 , 11:02 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
I always thought the main hero in LOTR was Frodo.

It's not that it has to be traditional, but there has to be conflict with characaters; some overal thing that causes the character to change in some way.
This is supposed to be done for all characters really and no matter how small must be overcome by the end.

I put a little link here about types of conflict its pretty neat IMO. I am just sharing this link because it's interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_(narrative)

Conflict was my over all issue in the prequels.
Han for instance over comes a conflict; When you first meet him on Tatooine, he is all about the credits, not saving some princess (unless he gets a reward), but in the end he risked his life to save a person he hardly knew.

I felt that Anakin was too heroic from the get go and he never changed, same for all the characters. They just did not have the growth.

In fact overall the most heroic and developed character in Phantom iMenace, is probally, and i hate to say this...
Jar Jar, he was bansihed from his home and his people, went on a long quest and retuned with the Naboo to help defend his home.

IMO had Jar-Jar not been slap-stick comedy they could have done a lot with him. He could have still be comedic and young in the first film but 10 years later, he could have become a general and matured as a character. Instead he was unaffected by time completly, which is odd.
Frodo is ONE of the protagonists in LOTR. The movies are as much about Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas as they are about Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippen.

Arkerus
02.12.2013 , 12:03 AM | #28
This is just stupid. Why do you feel the need to compare them to the originals.

If we compared every movie we've ever watched and will watch to the best movies that were ever made, nothing would be considered good. But that's simply not true.

And the movies made enough sense that a kid could follow it, so if you couldn't make sense of it's barebones plot/characterization, I dunno what to tell you.

Oh I don't know...

BECAUSE THEY ARE DIRECT PREQUELS. It's not about the plot, that's only part of the mess. I can't do it any better than red letter media and if I try to repeat it all here I'm just going to typing a lot.

Go do yourself a favor and watch the red letter media clips. It pretty much covers every angle. Nothing in the prequels makes any damn sense when paired against the original movies.

Please describe Mace Windu to me. Go ahead, describe him. And I'm not talking about the robes or his skin.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Arkerus
02.12.2013 , 12:08 AM | #29

Story telling uses basic elements again and again. When those elements aren't used, the story has to be extremely compelling and interesting to keep the viewer engaged.

The plot and story telling are a mess in the prequels. And since Star Wars is just a basic hero's journey in space (GL confirms that) the absurd brokenness of the plot and characters in 1,2 and 3 kills the entire trilogy.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Vepariga
02.12.2013 , 01:40 AM | #30
I feel Episode 1 has alot of heart to it. Sure it has its lame parts but seriously what movie doesnt.

Its a good film,alot better then Episode 2.