Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consular Story

Serens
01.25.2013 , 03:36 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
As opposed to the trooper who
Spoiler

Or the bounty hunter who
Spoiler

And lets not forget the smuggler who
Spoiler

Noticing a trend here. Almost everyone's Chapter 1 follows the same formula. It's not so much what you're doing but the story behind the why and the interactions with the environment during that make the story either groovy or not. I agree the Consular story is a little lacking in chapter 1, but i still prefer it over the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler.
The issue is the Consular does the same thing on every planet in Act 1. Find Jedi Master - tell Him/Her they are sick and need help - They so no thanks - You fight and kill/heal them.

At least in those other class arcs you mentioned (Have not played the Trooper all the way through yet, but the others I have) there is some variety in how the story plays out. Doesn't feel that way for the Consular.
The Dreamweaver Legacy
R.I.P. Axial Park
And the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not.

Yria
01.25.2013 , 07:22 AM | #22
Well, talking about troopers... they usually don't have any choice at all on their planets in Act 1. Consulars at least have this heal-or-kill thing, but troopers can make some big decisions only on Tatooine and in the very and of the chapter There are, of course, some minor choices, but all the classes have them.

Whitering
01.25.2013 , 12:57 PM | #23
Heh, I should have restarted my sage when I came back, but I had done Taris and was part way through NS, so I said screw it. Maybe I can replay Tython just to go through that again, it was the best part of the Consular story so far. Is there still the bug with Setele being like 2 inches tall when she's projected into the Council room? That was funny even if it destroyed any sense of immersion, or maybe you could just RP that it was a projection system run by the like the galaxie's version of Microsoft.

tXHereticXt
01.26.2013 , 03:00 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
Noticing a trend here. Almost everyone's Chapter 1 follows the same formula. It's not so much what you're doing but the story behind the why and the interactions with the environment during that make the story either groovy or not. I agree the Consular story is a little lacking in chapter 1, but i still prefer it over the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler.
My sentiments exactly, it's the context not the process. The pattern is there to maintain a sense of balance, although had they made 20-50 levels for all worlds and expanded would have been cool but you wouldn't see TOR launch until this year or later :P

I only got passed Act 1 but I've done both Warrior and Inquisitor and the differences were great. The warrior felt like you were making an impact on a galactic scale, you were plotting and executing - where as an Inquisitor just ran around....
Spoiler

Since the Consular in a way mirrored the Inquisitor's Act 2, I felt the same feeling that I was....
Spoiler

But that's entirely subjective, being a Supertrooper... I just couldn't do it. Too much typical 'MURICA-bravado.

Quote: Originally Posted by Whitering View Post
Heh, I should have restarted my sage when I came back, but I had done Taris and was part way through NS, so I said screw it. Maybe I can replay Tython just to go through that again, it was the best part of the Consular story so far. Is there still the bug with Setele being like 2 inches tall when she's projected into the Council room? That was funny even if it destroyed any sense of immersion, or maybe you could just RP that it was a projection system run by the like the galaxie's version of Microsoft.
Took them long enough but I believed that was changed sometime late in the summer. Don't quote me on that though.

FROIDBUSTER
02.02.2013 , 10:44 AM | #25
Also keep in mind that other classes do those things but with some added flair. The Bounty Hunter is participating in the great hunt, the Inquisitor has a subplot where they gain their own cult, etc. The other classes break up the grind with some interesting things.

The Consular, far from focusing on diplomacy or any particular task that requires their knowledge of the force, is just trying to stop the 5-man plague because... that guy broke the terminal thingy that taught people how to heal it, and the council is too stupid to realize the guy sapping their strength to save the Masters' probably needs some backup.

Also you do all that with Qyzen, along with your eventual generic gunmen companions, which doesn't particularly help. (As a point of reference imagine the JK story with only T7 through Nar Shadaa only to receive Sgt Rusk next, or BH with only Skadge until Tatooine... you start to get the picture).

In fairness though, the story does pickup afterward, especially with how the Consular gets an entire little alliance to take place on their ship to help break away from the predictable companion crew gain you come to expect.

Ashenic
02.03.2013 , 11:57 PM | #26
I actually wanted to make a post similar to this topic since I recently finished the Consular's storyline.

I personally was extremely disappointed by the ending of the story. Maybe my expectations were misplaced or maybe too high, but it just...to put it into one word, it was "meh". Like yourself, I heard how bad the story was, but I was adamant on rolling a Jedi Shadow. I love what they represented, lore wise. Not to mention this little paragraph from the class page hyped me up:

Jedi Consulars always seek to grow their knowledge of the galaxy, in understanding of themselves, and in comprehension of the Force that binds it all together. The commitment to this pursuit gives Consulars an unrivaled capacity for clarity in situations otherwise shrouded in darkness. However, this same dedication can also prove to be extremely perilous—inviting Consulars to explore paths that are better left untraveled. Some of the Jedi Order’s greatest minds have been seduced to the dark side through purely academic inquiries. The Consular knows the pain of this temptation as a battle-hardened warrior knows the throbbing of an old wound.

Before they can dispel the darkness in the galaxy, Jedi Consulars know they must first come to terms with the darkness within. There’s no avoiding the temptation to take shortcuts or even to use their knowledge for personal power; Consulars must constantly check their own motives. When tempted to step onto the path leading to darkness, Consulars must remember the tormented fate of the Jedi who have passed that way before. This is the only way they can unite the Jedi Order and the Republic and rally the troops to rescue the galaxy from the menacing darkness.

So, with that, I rolled a Consular. Now this is what I had issues with...

The Prelude and Chapter 1 was great, I didn't have any real problems with it. It was balanced in the whole Consular seeking hidden knowledge and solving mysteries of the Force and using diplomacy to solve problems, if you chose to. Not to mention the way it ended for me as a light sided Consular, I was psyched for what's going to happen after Chapter 1.

Then came Chapter 2 and 3...so disappointed...

Spoiler

This pretty much ends my rant about Chapter 2 and 3. It just seems so disconnected from the class and anticlimactic from Chapter 1. Your decisions seem to make almost no real impact at all in this story after that.
I am imagination.
I can see what the eyes cannot see.
I can hear what the ears cannot hear.
I can feel what the heart cannot feel.

YaanaOhtar
02.05.2013 , 04:35 AM | #27
Actually. You played diplomat, not raising an army. The army more like a happy go lucky bonus. I would expect they let the JC to invest on the emperor ritual near the end of the game, but not now, common that is the epic ending, they wont release it.

Emilyzo
02.08.2013 , 10:21 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashenic View Post
Then the ending...WHERE'S ALL THE MASTERS I SAVED?! Where's my own mentor, whom I fought so hard for to save? Was I even given a chance to be tempted into the dark side?
It's worse if you go dark side at the end of ch 1...
Many spoilers!
Spoiler
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

NeriaSurik
02.11.2013 , 08:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Emilyzo View Post
It's worse if you go dark side at the end of ch 1...
Many spoilers!
Spoiler
Now, I like the story (sue me), but that's just lazy...

ClosingRacer
02.21.2013 , 11:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
The consular story just doesn't feel as epic, especially as it progresses. The JK is taking on the emperor while consulars are reduced to chasing down his minions. Our companions are also not as interesting.

I've played all four of the Jedi/Sith storylines, and the consular is the worst story. The Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight stories are both excellent. The Inquisitor story isn't much better than the consular.
Meh I hate the Consular story .. but I quite love the Inquisitor one along with the Jedi knight. The warrior it so far seems your just Baras (Fill in the blank)