Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

On "Need" loot rolls.


Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
02.11.2013 , 04:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
It has indeed, and every time you jump in there with that suggestions. I agree with it, but this thread was asking for our opinions on loot etiquette - not complaining about ninjas nor trying to figure out a way to get rid of them, so leave that debate to one of the other thousand threads for it.
My point in writing that is to remind Bioware to read up on what the community writes here on their forum. So far we have heard nothing, not even a slightest comment regarding this.

My posts are always within what is discussed in the topic eventhough I might challenge the thought sometimes, but that is only an old habit since I teach at a university.

I can tell you what, they day Bioware comments on the lootproblem and how to change it in a constructive way I will stop refer to the thousands of posts the community has made that Bioware seems to be ignoring to read.

Now lets continue discussing this thread

Stressfire's Avatar


Stressfire
02.11.2013 , 08:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
The loot system cannot be left as it is. F2Ps are rolling need on everything. Ofc ingore and boot, but the system must be changed to Need only on class appropriate gear.
I was F2P for about a day before I picked up a sub, before I had even run Black Talon. But aren't F2P players limited on the number of rolls they can do per day? Makes sense, I suppose, that they would want to maximize their "take" even if they can only sell it to junk vendor.

Why not just ask the group prior to or during a roll? Ex: "Anyone mind if I need on that for companion?" or "off-spec" or "for the mods." If something drops that no one else can really use, or they already have it, why not just ask?

I have yet to be told "no"

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
02.11.2013 , 09:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
I was F2P for about a day before I picked up a sub, before I had even run Black Talon. But aren't F2P players limited on the number of rolls they can do per day? Makes sense, I suppose, that they would want to maximize their "take" even if they can only sell it to junk vendor.

Why not just ask the group prior to or during a roll? Ex: "Anyone mind if I need on that for companion?" or "off-spec" or "for the mods." If something drops that no one else can really use, or they already have it, why not just ask?

I have yet to be told "no"
You must be very new to this game. Welcome to The old Republic, you have one of the the highest registration numbers I have seen so far 6,329,218. It fills me with joy that you still not have experienced the downside of the lootsystem, but believe me you will in the future.

Keep up the good work and always communicate with the group you are playing with if something is unclear

Ecaj's Avatar


Ecaj
02.11.2013 , 09:34 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by RLWalker View Post
Restricting loot rolls not only makes a lot of people annoyed it actually doesn't solve the problem in the first place! People will be annoyed because they may be looking for certain mods, or a certain look, or gear for companions, or crafting materials, or they like the name/icon of the item or any other reason under the sun. To me any of those reasons are valid to need on an item. I am not saying that they are more important than gearing up but the option should exist for having a reasonable shot at the item. As for solving problems this proposal simply doesn't stand up. Consider a dread guard geared marauder rolling need on a medium armor strength columi item. Oops the system just failed at it's goal. Ok so now we include an item level check. But of course we have all seen where the next tiers itemization makes it worse than the current tier. So now the poor marauder is stuck with a higher item level crappy gear and can't roll on a better one. It would also be impossible to "side-grade" for a different itemization.
I have to disagree, "Liking the name or look of a piece of gear" does not qualify for needing when someone in the group has a spec that can use it and it is an upgrade for them. The option DOES exist for having a resonable shot at gear if those are your goals, group with friends or start a group with the intention of getting said gear, rather than joining a group and needing on something for purely superficial or roleplay reasons when a group member can actually use it and benefit from it.


Quote: Originally Posted by RLWalker View Post
As for creating more loot roll options, well this quickly turns into a mess. Is main-toon off-spec higher priority than third-alt main-spec? What about second-alt off-spec vs. main-toon companion. Yuck! Keep me out of that mess.
I think you're taking the priority roll suggestion way too far, I don't know of any game that takes it to the levels you're suggesting here, the system looks at your current class/specialization and allows you to roll need if the gear matches it, solves a lot of the current issues and if nobody needs it everyone can just greed on it, simple and efficient.

*clipped*

jeniyagyu's Avatar


jeniyagyu
02.11.2013 , 09:49 AM | #25
Can't remember the last time I queue'ed for a HM FP I used to do it everyday but now it is like.... You either get:

1. Ninja Looter
2. 'Gotta get it done in 10 minutes so I can afk on fleet 'Leroy
3. Wrong Role/Doesn't know Role
4. Elitist Jerk that will kick you for the SMALLEST mistake.

Stressfire's Avatar


Stressfire
02.11.2013 , 09:56 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
You must be very new to this game. Welcome to The old Republic, you have one of the the highest registration numbers I have seen so far 6,329,218. It fills me with joy that you still not have experienced the downside of the lootsystem, but believe me you will in the future.

Keep up the good work and always communicate with the group you are playing with if something is unclear
Been playing this game for a bit over a month, actually, but did SWG for quite awhile followed by a WoW stint from Lich King til just after Cata. Thus far I have had mostly positive group experiences - a few negatives, but that happens. Honestly, I just don't care that much - if a player is willing to loot in a way that gets them on too many ignore lists to even get a group anymore, then fine.

So they ninja the chestpiece that I did the run for in the first place. IMO, so what? I'll just run it again, I'll have an easier time finding another group than they will - I'm heals, after all

Master-A's Avatar


Master-A
02.11.2013 , 10:04 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jeniyagyu View Post
Can't remember the last time I queue'ed for a HM FP I used to do it everyday but now it is like.... You either get:

1. Ninja Looter
2. 'Gotta get it done in 10 minutes so I can afk on fleet 'Leroy
3. Wrong Role/Doesn't know Role
4. Elitist Jerk that will kick you for the SMALLEST mistake.

Well Im in luck then I got none of the options above exept forthe first time I got some dps rolling as healer . Never meet a ninja looter in a HM FP. Never meet a that rushy person but afks do happends but thats like irl playes a big roll. Never meet on a elite that kicked me directly after one mistake or never got kicked at all in all my days but I have meet one jerk that couldent understand that this is just a game ones and that was a long time ago back when I first started tanking HMs.
The Progenitor

BogyOne's Avatar


BogyOne
02.11.2013 , 10:11 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Been playing this game for a bit over a month, actually, but did SWG for quite awhile followed by a WoW stint from Lich King til just after Cata. Thus far I have had mostly positive group experiences - a few negatives, but that happens. Honestly, I just don't care that much - if a player is willing to loot in a way that gets them on too many ignore lists to even get a group anymore, then fine.

So they ninja the chestpiece that I did the run for in the first place. IMO, so what? I'll just run it again, I'll have an easier time finding another group than they will - I'm heals, after all
I agree with you, when you loose your name then you have nothing to loose.
My experience is also that 4 of 5 people clicks need because they do not realize the gentlemen's agreement on looting, it is not innate knowledge when you start MMOs.

jeniyagyu's Avatar


jeniyagyu
02.11.2013 , 10:19 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-A View Post
Well Im in luck then I got none of the options above exept forthe first time I got some dps rolling as healer . Never meet a ninja looter in a HM FP. Never meet a that rushy person but afks do happends but thats like irl playes a big roll. Never meet on a elite that kicked me directly after one mistake or never got kicked at all in all my days but I have meet one jerk that couldent understand that this is just a game ones and that was a long time ago back when I first started tanking HMs.
I've never been kicked either, but I have seen people kick other people for next to nothing. I've seen people in SM OPS need on EVERYTHING (being a healer but needing a tank relic AND the dps relic at the same time). I was trolled by 3 guildies because I guess that is the thing to do to people.

I've seen Healers and Tanks fight over NOTHING. I've seen DPS rage and yell over running ahead and dying.

I've been playing since Jan 2012, and the good does outweigh the bad, but since F2P, and reading the forums, it seems to have become a very scary sight indeed.

Tryagus's Avatar


Tryagus
02.11.2013 , 11:35 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by shyninja View Post
Just a question on "need" loot rolls. Do you roll need when the loot matches your class or when it matches your class and spec? For ex. two Bounty hunters/Troopers #1 is Tank specced for the FP #2 is DPS specced for the FP. The item being rolled for is a major upgrade for both of them (Primary stats Aim & Endurance. But the secondary stats seem to be more towards the DPS. Can the Tank still roll a "need" since its an upgrade and can equip it?

I understand general rules like always greeding for loot rolls for companions but , Class vs Class & Spec seems to be a grey area for me. Met people on with varying opinion on both sides.

Ex. of arguments ive heard on both sides.
"Field Respecs make it so you can change your specs" -Class
"The Loot Roll Item is tailor made for the spec I'm running for the FP. Secondary Stats matter." Class&Spec
"Some people like to DPS with a little added endurance and defense." -Class
" Why would you roll on something when it's off spec for you?" Class&Spec
" The Primary stat is still an upgrade for me and I can equip it " -Class
The problem is, with the introduction of legacy gear and being a way to gear alts coupled with the fact the higher tiers are just tokens to be used on any item. Now people will need EVERYTHING just cause they can use it for alts now its getting bad, in my guild for example uses DKP (I hate it with a passion) and because of this it is extremely hard to gear up in DG. I really hope they change the legacy gear transfer system cause as it is I have to buy the gear to get any 63's or 61's that aren't BH. I am thinking of switching guild lol as I am very active and this system is very discouraging.