Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Crayghe
02.06.2013 , 03:38 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by OptionalFTW View Post

profit. end of story. If it's not working, something is wrong in your computers hardware, or there's conflicting programs that came over from an "Upgrade" to windows 8 and not a fresh install. Figure it out, don't blame SWTOR.
I did a fresh install. Then Windows 8 went and updated, installing drivers on its own - and I'm right back with the issue of rotten connection. There have been two or three times where SWTOR had a great connection and worked. Then I quit out, and the next time I start the game up I'm back in the red.

I "upgraded" to Windows 8 a month ago. I'm running a Phenom II X6 1100T processor, nVidia GTX580 graphics, 16GB RAM, and a patridge in a pear tree, so it's not like I'm trying to run the game on my calculator. It worked right up until I went to Windows 8. As I have admitted, SWTOR is not the only game I have doing this, but this is the one that has a thread open about it.

(Noone should have to (pretty much) deconstruct their gaming rigs to make games work, so I'm playing SWTOR on the house laptop for the time being. Windows 7, smaller screen, but the game works!)
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

Zalhonan
02.06.2013 , 07:12 AM | #62
Sorry friend. I have no issues on windows 8.

TrikoKenree
02.06.2013 , 08:14 AM | #63
I cant patch it on Win8
It download everything, and then stuck at installing English Assets 103 (0% all the time)
so u own me like for two days subs now

found solution
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ish+assets+103

Crayghe
02.08.2013 , 04:39 PM | #64
The solution I finally tripped over to solve my issues - disabling Trend Micro AV (and all the Windows Defender stuff too). Apparently, Windows 8 + Trend Micro = block of gaming signal. Even when every single executable file in the SWTOR folder is on the exception list. My partner's computer, running Windows 7 and Trend Micro is fine.

So, essentially, I turn off Trend Micro to play online games while using Windows 8. (Since the issue I had wasn't confined to Star Wars - Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, and DC Universe all suffered.) Counter-intuitive much?

nattodaisuki
02.08.2013 , 08:03 PM | #65
I don't see why people are jumping on a new OS, when the old one worked okay.

Sure, some people have managed to get it to work and have no problems, while it seems to majority does have problems.

I don't own Windows 8, nor plan to in the future because this new OS was made for Mobile devices. Not for gaming rigs and most people don't play Swtor on their mobile touch pads

Sure, some people claim that is runs better on Windows 8 because it has a lighter overhead.... which mainly benefits the lower spec mobile devices, not gaming rigs that need whatever is in the core of the OS for that extra "umph" to play 3D intensive games.

Although I see all these threads on Lag, disconnects, Crashes to Desktop, bad Fps on these forums, I personally haven't had a single Crash to Desktop, unplayable Lag, any disconnects nor FPS issues with my current rig, and I've been playing this mmo since launch for an average of 10 hours a day (I'm retired)
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.

Crayghe
02.11.2013 , 06:17 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by nattodaisuki View Post
I don't see why people are jumping on a new OS, when the old one worked okay.

Sure, some people have managed to get it to work and have no problems, while it seems to majority does have problems.

I don't own Windows 8, nor plan to in the future because this new OS was made for Mobile devices. Not for gaming rigs and most people don't play Swtor on their mobile touch pads

Sure, some people claim that is runs better on Windows 8 because it has a lighter overhead.... which mainly benefits the lower spec mobile devices, not gaming rigs that need whatever is in the core of the OS for that extra "umph" to play 3D intensive games.

Although I see all these threads on Lag, disconnects, Crashes to Desktop, bad Fps on these forums, I personally haven't had a single Crash to Desktop, unplayable Lag, any disconnects nor FPS issues with my current rig, and I've been playing this mmo since launch for an average of 10 hours a day (I'm retired)

Slightly looks like a way to derail a thread, but I'll bite...

The decision to upgrade to Windows 8 was based on:

a) Pricing. For a limited time, the cost to purchase the upgrade was relatively cheap (until the end of January at least), especially if the online purchase option was used. (Buying a physical copy from a retailer was a little steep when compared to online...)

b) Testing. There are 2 or 3 other upgradeable computers in my household, and I needed to find out if it was a viable option at this time. Since I'm the resident tech-head, I took the jump to see if it would pass my decidedly non-technical partner's scrutiny. (Which it didn't, given the way she reacted to my gnashing of teeth over this issue.)

You observations are noted, and kudos for making the right decision for you. As an early adopter type, I made the right decision for me, and at least know what to keep an eye on for when it comes time to upgrade other family computers...

(Still think it's a little odd that Windows 8 clashed with the Trend Micro Anti-Virus suite.)

OwenBrooks
02.11.2013 , 06:21 AM | #67
I have a computer with windows 8 and trend micro av and plan on putting swtor on this soon so will see what happens. It currently has league of legends on it and had issues with the defender firewall not unblocking all of the pando ports initially, that was troublesome....

Rigermortis
02.15.2013 , 02:05 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Crayghe View Post
The solution I finally tripped over to solve my issues - disabling Trend Micro AV (and all the Windows Defender stuff too). Apparently, Windows 8 + Trend Micro = block of gaming signal. Even when every single executable file in the SWTOR folder is on the exception list. My partner's computer, running Windows 7 and Trend Micro is fine.

So, essentially, I turn off Trend Micro to play online games while using Windows 8. (Since the issue I had wasn't confined to Star Wars - Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, and DC Universe all suffered.) Counter-intuitive much?
Spot on correct - turned off Trend Micro and presto 23 ms ping times again.

I am going to uninstall Trend and reinstall it with UAC turned off as I know there was an issue with it and UAC even in Windows 7. See if that fixes it. I'll report back either way.

Antesyd
02.15.2013 , 04:25 AM | #69
Not running it myself on Win8, have win7Pro. But I have noticed the same problem with win7, as have a friend with win8. The problem I am talking about is when the screen goes black and you can't even reach the Event manager to stop the game, the only solution it to hard reboot.
I manage to solve this problem for both me and my friend by removing the side of the computer box and use a table top fan to blow into the computer, to really lower the temperature. That leads me to the conclusion that the issue is not Windows 7 or 8, but rather that the graphic card/cpu (graphic card more likely in my case) is working so hard that the fan can't cope with the heat produced.
Still no black screen in 3 month with this "fix", except one, and then I noticed that the table top fan was not running...

//Antesyd

Caroshie
02.16.2013 , 02:44 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigermortis View Post
Spot on correct - turned off Trend Micro and presto 23 ms ping times again.

I am going to uninstall Trend and reinstall it with UAC turned off as I know there was an issue with it and UAC even in Windows 7. See if that fixes it. I'll report back either way.
I can confirm the same findings and solution. My latency issues disappeared when I turned off Trend Micro before I launched the game.