Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Computer unusuable after pressing Play on the client

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Computer unusuable after pressing Play on the client

Giliathriel
02.10.2013 , 11:58 PM | #1
I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit with an Nvidia Geforce 545 video card. I just downloaded the game client, and pressed play. I got the black screen, but I've had that issue on at least two other computers that I've played on, and usually alt-entering does the trick. This time, it didn't. Using alt-ctrl-delete didn't work either, screen was still black. So i pressed the power button and waiting for the computer to shut down normally. The screen was black through the entire process. I powered back on, and the HP logo came on like it always does. so did the windows logo. Then after that--my monitor said the same thing it did before, input out of range. I seriously can't use my computer now. Any tips on how to fix?

EDIT: I resolved my issue by having to do a system restore using my OS disk. Obviously, this isn't ideal, considering I have to redownload the entire game. All 25 gigs. And this is not a permanent fix--if i ever try to play the game again, this will probably happen again. I will go ahead and download the client again, but I am NOT going to run the game until I have a preventative measure in place. So on that note...what do I need to do to prevent this from happening again? Would forcing it to run in windowed mode before I ever run the client do the trick? Or is there something else I need to do? Any help is vastly appreciated.

OwenBrooks
02.11.2013 , 02:37 AM | #2
If this occurs again push F8 on startup and enter safe mode, check your display settings.

The issue is that windows is being set to a resolution your monitor cannot handle, this is defined by a inf file set in windows and used by your video driver for your monitor.

Giliathriel
02.11.2013 , 02:47 AM | #3
Windows 8 doesn't have a boot accessible Safe Mode, FYI. I has a recovery mode, which I was unable to access, forcing me to use this discs.

Though I did get a fix. I ran a .NET Framework repair, and a Directx repair. While I still can't support TOR in Fullscreen (though to be honest I wasn't expecting that. On four computers, each with a different monitor that I've played on, none of them supported fullscreen) I was at least able to Alt-Tab, and TOR didn't jank my system and change the default resolution.

While my computer is still usable after all this, I ran into the infinite load glitch. What a delightful way to come back to the game after a month of no play lol.

OwenBrooks
02.11.2013 , 02:53 AM | #4
Ahh sorry didnt notice win 8 speed reading... apoligies. Shift-F8 if your really really quick

this may help in future there is ways still just not as easy http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

very strange you cannot support full screen on a single monitor, not sure why , if you wanted to post a dxdiag up it may or maynot show something though.

OwenBrooks
02.11.2013 , 02:57 AM | #5
Just a thought, certain HP models needed a bios update before able to use Win 8 correctly , have you checked the HP website at all ?

Edit if you make the changes per the below link to the client_settings file then you will be able to start and adjust your settings to how you like

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...php?t=498597#4

Nigredo
02.11.2013 , 04:03 AM | #6
Recently fixed a few people's Computers due to a similar issue mainly involving the power requirement for the Graphics card exceeding what was available in the system. SWTOR uses everything it can get its hands on to run properly, what system are you running and what kind of power supply does it have. HP is notorious about having the bare minimum of PS in its systems and you may need to look into that. If you need any help send me a PM and an e-mail address Iíll get back to you.

Good luck.
Llofnod dileu o ganlyniad i cymedrolwyr facist

OwenBrooks
02.11.2013 , 04:13 AM | #7
Nigredo is correct, a poor or inadequate power supply can cause issues from straight shutdowns to games just crashing for apparently no reason.

Poor power supplies cause the voltage rail to drop too far under load and this can just cause an unexpected crash to blackouts if a vastly too small of a power supply is used.

Not too say this is your cause but they are certainly possibilities.