Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lvl 40-50, Madness or Darkness?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Lvl 40-50, Madness or Darkness?

otterscrubber
02.10.2013 , 12:25 PM | #1
So I'm levelling up, just hit 40. I've been darkness, but wondering if I should give madness a try. Darkness is reliable, but I'm the type of play who wants to try different styles of play from time to time. However, I'm also the kind of player who likes to tear through groups of foes quickly and reliably with a minimum of downtime. I level with Khem, I like him as a companion. I think both styles of play have some interesting points but would love to get feedback from other players on what they like about these two different specs at this particular point in the game. Here is my 2 cents on them:

Darkness: Very reliable, not a glass cannon. I find I share the agro with Khem and we are both standing at the end of a tough fight. Darkness is super solid against groups of normal/strong, but it's a bit of a grind against elites. Although with sharing the agro with Khem we are usually (but not always) both still standing at the end of a tough elite fight. However this does do pretty solid dps as well, but I dont have a dps meter to confirm specifics.

Madness: Looks fun to play. I imagine I would tear through normal fights well, but in fights against tougher fights against mulitple strong foes or elites Khem would get agro, and I'm not sure any extra dps from this tree would save him in time. When the damage gets turned on me I'm afraid I will get knocked down to nothing flat in a hurry. Is this the case? Or if I do pull it out is there a lot of downtime between fights? This is where I'd love to hear from Madness Assassins on what they think of levelling in this spec in levels 40-50. Thanks!
This internet could be a nicer place, let's start here.
Whatever you read in my posts, I actually really like SWTOR

thedudeabidesman
02.10.2013 , 10:11 PM | #2
First: why are you using Khem as darkness? Why not a geared dps?

Second: if you're a sub, you have free re-specs...of course you should try madness. Do a little reading, fart around with a spec, and go kill things! Madness or madness/hybrid are both a lot of fun and with a dps comp ( I use HK) mobs go down very quick. If you don't like it, spec back.

Third: are you going to tank end game content? Make sure you run Battle of Ilum and False Emperor to get the practice in
"This aggression will not stand, man"

verfallen
02.10.2013 , 11:12 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by thedudeabidesman View Post
First: why are you using Khem as darkness? Why not a geared dps?

Second: if you're a sub, you have free re-specs...of course you should try madness. Do a little reading, fart around with a spec, and go kill things! Madness or madness/hybrid are both a lot of fun and with a dps comp ( I use HK) mobs go down very quick. If you don't like it, spec back.

Third: are you going to tank end game content? Make sure you run Battle of Ilum and False Emperor to get the practice in
How is BoI hard to tank? You skip 9/10th of the fp, and there is one ability to interrupt on the boss thats it.

Dual dps will always be the fastest leveling content.

On the other end, sintank can solo some H4.

If you persist with Darkness build, next 10 points are going into madness to go up to chain shock.

Darkscis
02.11.2013 , 12:08 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
If you persist with Darkness build, next 10 points are going into madness to go up to chain shock.
I actually found while levelling that going Dark Embrace at 41 and 42 was much better for clearing trash rapidly. You can then start in stealth and go Shock -> Wither -> Discharge -> Thrash -> Shock -> Force Lightning without having to pause at all. Soon as you finish channeling you have enough to Wither then Shock again before needing to Saber Strike a bit (if anything is even alive). After that you settle down into the standard rotation - I actually still use this for doing BH\Section X dailies (did not take Torment) as it allows for more rapid burst rather than sustained cost reduction which you would require in boss fights.

otterscrubber
02.12.2013 , 11:30 AM | #5
Ok, well I went with Madness actually to try it out. I was worried that I would be a bit of a glass cannon, but that has not been the case at all. I use Khem to tank, get him geared up in decent greens and it does the trick. I have some limited CC, specced into Oppressive Force and Haunted Dreams for some adds and it seems to work well. Much less stand there and slug away, but there is more movement and tactical use of powers. If I get in trouble I can stealth out and quickly return to finish off my foes, which seems much more assassin-y to me. I have to say madness is a fun spec, hope it continues to be good. I even seem to take out elites just as well. Khem dies sometimes against elites, but I was able to take elites 1-2 levels above me. The only time I had problems with them was if the elites had the ability to put Khem to sleep and focus on me. But even those went down when i got my stun rotations working ok.

Thank you to the others who replied, although most responses say go darkness, I appreciate the feedback all the same.
This internet could be a nicer place, let's start here.
Whatever you read in my posts, I actually really like SWTOR

Darkscis
02.12.2013 , 05:52 PM | #6
It's great that you found something that suits your style of play, that's what it's all about. I do recommend you give Wither a shot though. If you think Death Field is good try a DF every 7.5 seconds

HugoBendtsen
02.17.2013 , 06:14 PM | #7
i levelled the whole way with deception.

that was alot of fun the most of the time, cant imagine how boring the tank spec must have been or how frustrating madness would have seemed at that level.

when you get talos drlik, you should at least give it a try.

You have so much CC that your dmg/tank companions mess it up for you and maul makes it fast. Talos makes it so, that you wont ever have to seethe

kthxbai =)