Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Major class changes without addressing lightsabers is a joke

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Major class changes without addressing lightsabers is a joke
 

Felioats's Avatar


Felioats
02.09.2013 , 02:55 PM | #1
I'm talking about this:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...n-updated-with

I know it's been talked to death, but for me, the lightsaber issue will never be settled. A class that can only use the ancient weapon of the Jedi as a stat stick is an affront to Star Wars.

Whomever came up with the idea should have been chided out of the room, yet here we are.

Not only is there no spec giving you even a single scaling saber attack, it isn't even used in any casting animations. Not even Tumult, which would have been the perfect opportunity for a saber attack. Instead we're expected to believe the sage is too frail to swing a saber, but he can do a spinning ninja kick. It's like they went out of their way to spit in the franchise's face.
>

Chemic_al's Avatar


Chemic_al
02.10.2013 , 03:47 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post

I know it's been talked to death, but for me, the lightsaber issue will never be settled. A class that can only use the ancient weapon of the Jedi as a stat stick is an affront to Star Wars.
lol, we can't even use the force as well as the other force users (resilience, camo, guarded by bioware... sorry the force etc etc etc), despite being the ones that use the "force master" set,and you want to use a lightsabre as well?

I totally agree, but sorcs/sages have been designed to be pve healers only, and there is little hope that this will change.

Yeah tumult is pointless, we don't get resilience, where's our "dancing sabre attack" or something?

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.10.2013 , 03:55 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Chemic_al View Post
lol, we can't even use the force as well as the other force users (resilience, camo, guarded by bioware... sorry the force etc etc etc), despite being the ones that use the "force master" set,and you want to use a lightsabre as well?

I totally agree, but sorcs/sages have been designed to be pve healers only, and there is little hope that this will change.

Yeah tumult is pointless, we don't get resilience, where's our "dancing sabre attack" or something?
Wouldn't hurt if melee skills scaled off Will, like they did with the baseline Consular class. Because why not. Wouldn't mind a baseline "self-defense" lightsaber move, like a short root.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Chemic_al's Avatar


Chemic_al
02.10.2013 , 07:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Wouldn't hurt if melee skills scaled off Will, like they did with the baseline Consular class. Because why not. Wouldn't mind a baseline "self-defense" lightsaber move, like a short root.
why not indeed? Why can't we use the force to defend ourselves like other classes can?

Lot's of "whys", no answers.

Nightthunder's Avatar


Nightthunder
02.10.2013 , 09:11 AM | #5
Why would you want to play a partial role of a Sith Warrior when your best chances of survival is to stay away from melee? As a sage you cant be effective with melee, thats not your training's purpose, not your role.
I understand you want sages to have melee attacks as well but you are not that class, you are dead weight to a team if you want to melee with a pure range force wielder class.

Rabelle's Avatar


Rabelle
02.10.2013 , 09:42 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightthunder View Post
Why would you want to play a partial role of a Sith Warrior when your best chances of survival is to stay away from melee? As a sage you cant be effective with melee, thats not your training's purpose, not your role.
I understand you want sages to have melee attacks as well but you are not that class, you are dead weight to a team if you want to melee with a pure range force wielder class.
I don't want to come off as rude but it seems like you are missing the point.

I don't think any sorc/sage is asking to be good both in melee and at range. It's just that the lightsaber is such an integral part of both Sith and Jedi so it feels really awkward that we can't do anything with it.

It wouldn't even have to be a melee damage attack as far as I am concrned. Just an ability that required you to use the lightsaber to activate it would suffice.

I have posted this before, but say that you have Affliction up on a target and then hit him with for example Thrash. This would cause Affliction to immediately detonate for the full damage with some splash damage to neaby targets (and if they also carried Affliction those would detonate too). Obviously this would put Affliction on some cooldown to prevent chain casting.
Héx - Sorcerer The Red Eclipse

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.10.2013 , 11:59 AM | #7
In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.

A compromise would be to give Sorcs/Sages a saber throw of some sort. This seems a completely legitimate suggestion, but the devs don't appear to care at this point.

I will settle for better balance between the classes. If we get that with 1.7, I won't let the lack of saber skills bother me.

Rabelle's Avatar


Rabelle
02.10.2013 , 01:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about balance over this. My gunslinger whacks people over the head all the time with the back of his gun without people crying "Foul!".

Balance obviously needs to be concidered but that is more determined by the ability itself rather than the fact that it is activated within melee range. We ain't asking for a Maul type of damage, just something, anything, that could be activated with the saber, mostly for the feeling, not as a class buff.

It could be that a saber attack caused accelerated metabolism on the target, causing the remaining Affliction ticks to tick every second instead of every third.

I can't picture every sorc/sage suddenly rushing into melee range over that. And even if they did, no one would be happier than the melee classes if they did.
Héx - Sorcerer The Red Eclipse

Chemic_al's Avatar


Chemic_al
02.10.2013 , 01:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.
Snipers have shiv, mercs have rocket punch, and let's not forget when we were back on Korriban or Tython, when sabre strike and thrash/double strike, was one of our core ways of dispatching foes. So, why are they thrown out of the window and apparently we forget how to use them when we chose our AC? Snipers and Mercs certainly didn't "forget" their melee abilties. It's not entirely unreasonable should we find ourselves in melee range that we should be able to still use thrash with willpower to damage using it. The even stupider thing is that Strength adds damage to it, but our mainstat does not. No, there is no logical reason for things the way they are.

And it's not like melee classes don't get ranged abilities.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.10.2013 , 03:24 PM | #10
We do get a melee ability, Tumult. And I agree this could/should have been a lightsaber ability. As I said, I would like to see a saber throw animation. But it isn't going to do the class any good whatsoever to add a meaningless melee ability. We are designed to fight at range, and that is where we should stay.