Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tactics is not as bad as they say

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper
Tactics is not as bad as they say

Ifolad
01.16.2013 , 01:38 PM | #1
Hello, just adding my 2 cents as i'm tired of seeing so many people dog on Tactics Vanguard for Raid DPS. Firstly, as we all know this is a MELEE class. Secondly, tactics is not an immobile spec, quite the contrary, as only 2 of your attacks must be channeled and they take 3 seconds, the rest of your attacks are instant, moreover, one should not be spamming pulse cannon unless they have attained 3 stacks of pulse generator anyway. Thirdly, we run 15% faster than normal and with hold the line ability we run an additional 30% faster for duration. May I remind you that hold the line makes you immune to physics (IE) knockbacks and controlling abilities that boss's can use against you. I have found that VERY FEW boss abilities ignore this. Obvious ones are Malgus's force choke during his encounter in False Emperor and getting mind trapped or tossed around by Soa in EV. For the most part though hold the line works on just about everything. This is NOT just a PVP spec as we provide very good burst and if done correctly have very good sustained dmg on top of that. Again i'm pretty sure this class and spec was built JUST FOR ME but what can you say if a build/spec falls exactly into ones preferred playstyle. I would also like to add that if done properly resource mgmt is not an issue even on long fights as if you are doing the rotation properly you'll never run out of ammo thanks to free stockstrikes etc. True we don't have an aggro dump so some caution must be taken at the beginning of a fight with a new or undergeared tank along for the ride. AND for my very final argument (yes I promise this is my final final word on this) Tactics Vanguard can in MOST RESPECTS be compared to a Frost DK from WOW, yes I shutter at those words but it's the BEST example I can think of for someone who has no idea what tactics vanguard is all about. Not trying to start anything with anyone, not saying they are wrong and I am right, i'm just giving some insight on my experience. If you would like to see it in action hit up my trooper Rhodea on "The Shadowlands" and we'll go run a HMFP or something so you can see for yourself. Have a most excellent day.

-Ifolad 50 Jug/tank
-Ifo 50 sage/healer
-Ifo'lek 50 scoundrel healer
-Rhodea 50 TACTICS Vanguard

"Know yourself and Know thy enemy and in 1000 battles you will never peril" -Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

Traejun
01.18.2013 , 01:16 PM | #2
Agreed wholeheartedly. I am leveling as Tactics. I absolutely pwn. With Elara out, I'm nigh invincible and burn through things quick. A nice combo of DoTs, good CD's and nice burst, I can handle nearly any situation. Having played Assault for about 7 levels, I can tell you that Tactics is a smoother experience.

LorneG
02.10.2013 , 03:28 AM | #3
Tactics is easier ammo management, but my experience i have a hard time getting Tactics to pump out more then 1880 dps while assault spec i can get 2300 dps. I find now that PulseC does tonnes of dmg like 15k and fire pulse and ion pulse do about 3.5k to 4k. But it seems like your waiting on CDs a lot.