Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ranked WZ is too hardcore as it is now, something needs to change.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked WZ is too hardcore as it is now, something needs to change.

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
02.08.2013 , 10:09 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
Because players can do things to make content and make things more fun.
They do. I have another thread about that. I've done seemingly all I can with pvp in this game. The only suggestions people seem to have is that many of the original pvpers are going to take a break and see what pvp content comes with 1.7/Hutt.

But here's the rub. There are two sets of people in an MMO.

Players - Those who pay and play.

Developers - Those who are payed and continually develop content.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

AltruisticRage's Avatar


AltruisticRage
02.08.2013 , 10:41 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptianFordo View Post
All the PVP elites on PVE servers would be ROFLSTOMPED if they went against PVPers of a PVP server.



They'd complain and want the old system back.

Because real PvP happens on PvP servers. It isn't just a gankfest until level cap (and is still a gankfest at level cap).

More true would be that PvE servers are for people who want to level without getting stomped by max level toons while they are in the middle of questing.

I doubt there is any difference in skill between the server types.
Altruistic <C O V E N A N T> // Sage Healer // The Harbinger
"PvP like you are PvPing for your fake dead girlfriend"

Crerin's Avatar


Crerin
02.08.2013 , 01:07 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
/agree

There closing door for any new team, cuz for example on our server we have 6-8 teams which playing together monthes and monthes and simply destroy every new team every time. Its really not fun for good players, which individually quite good, but dont play together as 8-man one team before...
yeah it's sad they don't have the player pool to even do this unless they added cross server and for some reason bioware seems very anti-cross server. Matchmaking and Cross server is the only way ranked will get more complete and have lower level teams still queing and facing each other.
Krer 50 Op
Krerin 50 Sorc
Rin 50 Mara

Ashuranrx's Avatar


Ashuranrx
02.11.2013 , 08:00 AM | #64
Some of you stated that players should be the ones that take initiative to make RWZ work; I completely disagree with this point. If the competition system itself is flawed and discourages players from participating, then having the players put in extra effort and time to make the system work is just taxing and not worthwhile for the players. That is like saying if NFL is not working, then professional football players and coaches should put in extra effort and time to make NFL work. But it doesn’t work like that. NFL gets paid to make the system work, if it is not working well then they find people who can make it work, not the players and coaches. Same for RWZ, BW gets paid to make RWZ work. If it is not working, then BW needs to find people who can make it work. The players focus on the RWZ games, not the system.

Another suggestion I would make is to make all WZ ranked and allow any group number to queue, from solo to 8. Then let the ratings match players. The rating would define the players’ skill, gear, and effort put forth in making groups.

islander's Avatar


islander
02.11.2013 , 08:59 AM | #65
There are a LOT of players that are in situations where the competition doesn't deter then - the system itself does.

My guild just put out a feeler for a second ranked team (which has failed to be produced in previous attempts). No less then two other snipers besides myself volunteered. So, do we carry 2-3 snipers and lose every time because other teams have "the right class formula"? Or do we once again have one or two ranked capable snipers sitting on the sidelines because of Bioware's terribly restrictive system...
Gěllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Jeffor's Avatar


Jeffor
02.11.2013 , 12:00 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Frostbyt View Post
You don't need cross server que. The only reason the the pool for rated wz is small is because the larger experienced PvP guilds have rofl stomped the casual teams. If they introduce brackets or something to that effect more people will play and be able to gain experience.
And many, many PVP players have already left the game as well. Rated WZs are so lame. Yeah I wan't to showcase my PVP skill by playing the same 3 WZs five hundred times and beat up on teams of newbies. Sounds pretty impressive.
LotRO: Jeffaman/Lilnooblet/Jeffrandir/Cephus-Brandywine Server
SWG: Cephus/Herodotus Tchuck'Tchuck'aachoo-Ahazi Server (At one with the force)
SWTOR: Cephus TchukTchukAchoo-Jedi Sentinel-The Swiftsure Server
Farewell SWG Gone but not forgotten S238

sirullrich's Avatar


sirullrich
02.11.2013 , 01:05 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashuranrx View Post
Some of you stated that players should be the ones that take initiative to make RWZ work; I completely disagree with this point. If the competition system itself is flawed and discourages players from participating, then having the players put in extra effort and time to make the system work is just taxing and not worthwhile for the players. That is like saying if NFL is not working, then professional football players and coaches should put in extra effort and time to make NFL work. But it doesn’t work like that. NFL gets paid to make the system work, if it is not working well then they find people who can make it work, not the players and coaches. Same for RWZ, BW gets paid to make RWZ work. If it is not working, then BW needs to find people who can make it work. The players focus on the RWZ games, not the system.

Another suggestion I would make is to make all WZ ranked and allow any group number to queue, from solo to 8. Then let the ratings match players. The rating would define the players’ skill, gear, and effort put forth in making groups.
Well I think you are wrong too. The NFL is a UNION which means if something is not right with the NFL the UNION steps in and will try to make changes.

funkiestj's Avatar


funkiestj
02.11.2013 , 01:36 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Bioware says it would ruin community as an excuse because it sounds better than "We can't do it"
That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Nearly a year ago Daniel Erickson said they were going to do cross-server. Since then they have apparently decided the business case for this is bad. RWZ preseason was only ever intended to be a beta for the code they had (hence the name: preseason).

The problem is not that BW does not know what needs fixing (match scheduling, RWZ reconnects, challenge matches, season one). The problem is that, since preseaon was implemented, PvP has dropped off their priority list. (Releasing Hypergates, while nice, does not count as addressing vital structural issues). Will they do something this year besides giving us yet another WZ or a new skill tree with the new level cap? Who knows ... they certainly are not going to tell us in advance.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

funkiestj's Avatar


funkiestj
02.11.2013 , 01:51 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
The best part of SWtoR PvP is its high complexity compared to PvP in other MMOs. It's good because it really allows player skill rather than other variables to become the dominant factor in determining who wins a battle. For example the difference in effectiveness for a player in full WH gear vs. that same player in full EWH augmented gear is maybe 10-15%. But a high skill player is easily 50% or more effective than a low skill player.
Agree.

Quote:
However the side effect of having a complex combat system is that the high skill players are operating at a level so far above the low skill players that the low skill players view the learning curve as simply too steep.

It's just not clear how (if it is possible at all) to reconcile that steep learning curve without removing the combat system's complexity.
The learning curve is not the problem -- it is what makes a deep game deep. Any game that is deep (e.g. chess and go) take a long time to reach the top levels of play. The problem is match scheduling. If you know in advance that team A is 98th percentile in skill, don't queue it up against team B which you know is 10th percentile in skill because that is boring for both sides.

What needs to change is BW's prioritizing of structural improvements for PvP. Perhaps someone can make a compelling argument that improving PvP WZ will have a good ROI.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?