Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Episode I better than II or III

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Episode I better than II or III

SeannyDuke's Avatar


SeannyDuke
02.08.2013 , 04:00 AM | #1
I know this won't be popular but I like TPM better that II or III. I thought the story was better I didn't really care about Jar Jar even though everyone wants to hate him. I just took him as the R2 or Chewie of the new movies when I saw it. I should also state that Jedi is my second favorite from the OT. Look in Episodes 2 and 3 we had an extemely weak bad guy called Count Dooku. I don't mean to say that Chrisopher Lee is bad but having an old man play your big villian was horrible. I love, love, love Darth Maul and I would have paid to see him and Vader get it on. It was stupid to kill him in episode 1 and the villian they brought in did not match up.

bigray's Avatar


bigray
02.08.2013 , 04:36 AM | #2
I can see where you're coming from homebread. Now I don't know if I would go as far as to say it's better than Episode III, but I think it gets too much hate overall. Here are the things I like about it:

- The color palette, or the way the filmed it, is more congruous with the original movies. From a "look and feel" perspective it looks like one of the older movies.
- The lightsaber duel at the end is flat out the best lightsaber duel in any of the movies.
- Pod racing sequence is one of the better action sequences overall. Not as good as the space battle at the beginning of III or end of VI.

I think the main thing with the PT is that is was too heavy on the political intrigue. It's a bit of a catch-22 because the political intrigue is what really set the stage for the Emperor's rise. Not sure if there could have been a better way to show it in the movies, but so much senatorial debate and maneuverings is incongruous with what we identify as Star Wars and so from that perspective alone the PT has a different feel to it.

Leonick's Avatar


Leonick
02.08.2013 , 06:04 AM | #3
PM does get more flak than it really deserves, in my opinion anyway, but that goes for all the prequels. I do still think it's the weakest of the three though.

Quote: Originally Posted by SeannyDuke View Post
I don't mean to say that Chrisopher Lee is bad but having an old man play your big villian was horrible. I love, love, love Darth Maul and I would have paid to see him and Vader get it on. It was stupid to kill him in episode 1 and the villian they brought in did not match up.
I can see why you'd like Maul even though he is just a tool of Sidious and does nothing on his own, still I can see why you'd like him. Are you sure your problem with Dooky is that he is an old man though? Just find it somewhat curious considering the main villains in the original trilogy is a pair of old and slow (though still very powerful) men (just like Dooku) and in small part a big chunk fat called Jabba

Quote: Originally Posted by bigray View Post
- The color palette, or the way the filmed it, is more congruous with the original movies. From a "look and feel" perspective it looks like one of the older movies.
- The lightsaber duel at the end is flat out the best lightsaber duel in any of the movies.
- Pod racing sequence is one of the better action sequences overall. Not as good as the space battle at the beginning of III or end of VI.

I think the main thing with the PT is that is was too heavy on the political intrigue. It's a bit of a catch-22 because the political intrigue is what really set the stage for the Emperor's rise. Not sure if there could have been a better way to show it in the movies, but so much senatorial debate and maneuverings is incongruous with what we identify as Star Wars and so from that perspective alone the PT has a different feel to it.
Can't say much about the look and feel because honestly, I haven't really thought about it with the prequels or the original trilogy.

The lightsaber duel in the end of PM is indeed amazing, rarely mentioned when people talk about PM, guess they forgot it due to bad stuff? The pod-race on the other hand I'll have to disagree with, it was OK the first time I saw it but after that it's just too long and not all that interesting and that stupid race even got longer in the home-media releases, just don't get it. Honestly when I do watch PM I skip most of the time on Tatooine.

What I get from critics isn't really that the political stuff was bad (personally I kind of like that angle, seeing how Palpatine did get control) but more of an issue with how the characters are written, how likeable they are, and structuring "issues" like a clear protagonist and antagonist. The of course there will always be the matter of it being far too over-hyped when it came out with everyone expecting far too much
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

annabethchase's Avatar


annabethchase
02.08.2013 , 01:10 PM | #4
Phantom menace was actually quite epic in parts. Anything involving Qui Gon as a master was amazing as it was brand new and exciting. Darth Maul was the best sith apprentice of the prequel trilogy. Jake Lloyd was actually fairly decent as young Anakin. It featured interesting planets and had great music. All in all a great film.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

Zaxem's Avatar


Zaxem
02.08.2013 , 01:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SeannyDuke View Post
I know this won't be popular but I like TPM better that II or III. I thought the story was better I didn't really care about Jar Jar even though everyone wants to hate him. I just took him as the R2 or Chewie of the new movies when I saw it. I should also state that Jedi is my second favorite from the OT. Look in Episodes 2 and 3 we had an extemely weak bad guy called Count Dooku. I don't mean to say that Chrisopher Lee is bad but having an old man play your big villian was horrible. I love, love, love Darth Maul and I would have paid to see him and Vader get it on. It was stupid to kill him in episode 1 and the villian they brought in did not match up.
lol the only part of the movie i didn't like was the pod racing scene felt like it took way to long as far as jar jar binks goes i didn't mind him didnt care for him either didn't feel like he ruined the movies like everyone else thinks he does
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

Harlequintwo's Avatar


Harlequintwo
02.08.2013 , 03:38 PM | #6
Phantom Menace is actually my favourite Star Wars of all time. I was about 6 when I saw it and it hooked me into the franchise. I actually loved Jar Jar as being a child his comedic actions really appealed to me. I think because of that I still find him quite funny. On top of that, Darth Maul was as menacing a character as there could have been, but I loved him because of it. My fanboyism went to such extremes that when my parents gave me the original trilogy for that Christmas they signed it as 'Darth Maul'. I actually turned to them and exclaimed "Did Ray Park send this?"

Looking back though, I can still appreciate the Phantom Menace with more adult views.
The political intrigue was just about comprehended as a child but I can appreciate it a lot more as a plot device as an adult/teenager. It's a lot smarter than any of the Originals which in comparison had the lines of good and evil very distinct.
The CGI and cinematography was excellent for it's time and still holds up today. The ground Battle of Naboo is still my favourite scene of the movie. The music, the sounds and the images all tie together so well and it's like that for most of the movie.
The characters are complex (and acted well) which certainly wasn't appreciated as a child, since I spent more time with my OOM/Darth Maul action figures than Obi-Wan. For example, Shmi brings to the table a mother's perspective which has never been seen in the Star Wars universe. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon show very different outlooks showing different Jedi perspectives and Jar Jar just wants to find his place in the world.

So yep, give me the Phantom Menace any day.

BrianDavion's Avatar


BrianDavion
02.08.2013 , 03:56 PM | #7
over all I enjoyed TPM. even Jar Jar made me laugh I'll admit. there where no scenes that where absolutly cringe induceing at the very leasy (unlike say the romance in AOTC)

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
02.08.2013 , 07:51 PM | #8
The acting and dialogue was atrocious in ep 1.

"Are you an angel"?

You've got to be *********** kidding me. Are we really gonna watch pseudo romance between Padme and little boy Anakin?

Maul was a terrible villain. He was so one dimensional in the movies and had a few lines of dialogue. Dooku is a much better villain.

Final fight scene was both cool and stupid. Obi-wan could have totally made it through those laser doors if he bothered using force speed, which is something both he and Qui-Gonn used at the beginning of the movie to escape those droids with shields.

Bird_of_Thunder's Avatar


Bird_of_Thunder
02.08.2013 , 09:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
The acting and dialogue was atrocious in ep 1.

"Are you an angel"?

You've got to be *********** kidding me. Are we really gonna watch pseudo romance between Padme and little boy Anakin?

Maul was a terrible villain. He was so one dimensional in the movies and had a few lines of dialogue. Dooku is a much better villain.

Final fight scene was both cool and stupid. Obi-wan could have totally made it through those laser doors if he bothered using force speed, which is something both he and Qui-Gonn used at the beginning of the movie to escape those droids with shields.
Dooku is clearly not a ninja, and isn't played by Ray Park. Hence he isn't a good villain. Although I agree that Maul could've had much better and more lines.

The "pseudo romance" isn't that big of a stretch. Padme was 15 and Anakin was 10. So, no.

Obi-Wan was tired out from the lightsaber fighting, hence he couldn't use Force Speed. Maul could've killed Obi when he jumped, like Obi-wan did to Anakin in Ep. III.

Personally, i liked Ep. III best. Such an epic duel at the end.
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
02.08.2013 , 09:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
Dooku is clearly not a ninja, and isn't played by Ray Park. Hence he isn't a good villain. Although I agree that Maul could've had much better and more lines.
You don't have to be a ninja to be cool. Dooku obviously can't jump around because the actor's hella old, but if you watch TCW, Dooku > Maul anyday.

Quote:
The "pseudo romance" isn't that big of a stretch. Padme was 15 and Anakin was 10. So, no.
Yeah trying hitting on a 10 year old as a 15 year old. It's *********** creepy IRL, and it's creepy in the movie. Also, she doesn't look 15 in the movie. She looks like she's in her early 20s.

Quote:
Obi-Wan was tired out from the lightsaber fighting, hence he couldn't use Force Speed. Maul could've killed Obi when he jumped, like Obi-wan did to Anakin in Ep. III.

Personally, i liked Ep. III best. Such an epic duel at the end.
They all got a moment's rest when the laser doors were separating all 3. He could've used force speed.

And yes, Maul totally should have been able to see Obi-Wan's attack coming, but stood there like an idiot. Another dumb thing about that fight.