Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranked WZ is too hardcore as it is now, something needs to change.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked WZ is too hardcore as it is now, something needs to change.

sirullrich
02.07.2013 , 05:49 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
I chalk it up to team stacking - the revolving door of top players trying to group up and be on the same team so they can tell themselves they are the best. Imagine if one of the teams in MLB was the American League All Star Team.

What this game really needs is a league and a draft system like the NFL!
What are you talking about they have the yankees!!! lol But you are right once you are on top nobody wants to go to the bottom. So of course you take the best players instead of developing.
RENPA
G-QUIT
SITHSANITY

lortespand
02.07.2013 , 06:10 PM | #42
smashers and hiders. these were Op at start in 2011 and still are. i dont think something will change here. shame on a game that could have offered a really exciting pvp gameplay. but look at the damage done and objective done...it's always the same classes, even when you're BISed.
Bioware are the masters of story lines and solo gaming, but when it comes to pvp, they fail so much. even after 13(14)? months, the pvp is still the same bc, same classes Op, same classes no chance.

Macroeconomics
02.08.2013 , 03:12 AM | #43
The best part of SWtoR PvP is its high complexity compared to PvP in other MMOs. It's good because it really allows player skill rather than other variables to become the dominant factor in determining who wins a battle. For example the difference in effectiveness for a player in full WH gear vs. that same player in full EWH augmented gear is maybe 10-15%. But a high skill player is easily 50% or more effective than a low skill player.

However the side effect of having a complex combat system is that the high skill players are operating at a level so far above the low skill players that the low skill players view the learning curve as simply too steep.

It's just not clear how (if it is possible at all) to reconcile that steep learning curve without removing the combat system's complexity.

Z-ToXiN
02.08.2013 , 04:37 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
What would help rateds a ton is just more people doing them in general. With this small of a pool doing rwz's it's not helping anything TBH. If everyone that really wanted to play RWZ's tried to go and play RWZ's the whole thing would be much better than it is. Things like cross server would help this a lot. Some of these little things dont matter much.

Thats the problem, you need 8 people and 8 other people on another team at the same time. I remember back when I did rateds there would be days when it would take over an hour to assemble a team, and sometimes we would que for over an hour without getting a single match. It would be literally 3 hours of time to get 2 or 3 matches in and over 2 hours of sitting around... Sound like fun? This whole lack of rated teams / players is a real issue; weve been dreaming of cross-server for months, and all the while more people are leaving the game.
ADRAAJ
◙ASSASSiN ╚╬╝ THE BASTION ╚╬╝ POWeRTeCH◙
DECEPTiON HYBRID < ♣ > HYBRID SiN TANK
<JAWA BUNNY RANCH> // #GearRequirementForSolos

ripamorame
02.08.2013 , 04:48 AM | #45
As people have stated getting rolled with little to no reward for succeeding is a massive put off for a player base made up of quite a few new players. Would you really want to get rolled for 1 month straight with the reward learning tactics and getting easily obtainable wh gear in a different colour? They need to put some of the cartel armor "new skins thought" in as rated gear currently all you get is a different colour more rewards would mean more motivation.

Debaucher
02.08.2013 , 05:33 AM | #46
Perhaps don't make it for 2x4 man groups, but for 6v6 ?

Easier to fill such a group and 6 ppl can be enouph to play in any map, w.o pugs.
Aolyn, Scoundrel Healer.
Occasional Scrapper!

Coral

mrekxxx
02.08.2013 , 05:38 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
I'm not sure why bioware thinks the cross-server would kill the community. We can't even talk to the other faction on our own servers. When I kill them in open world or in warzones, I dont even know WHO i killed because I dont bother even looking at their names because it doesn't matter.

This game HAS NO COMMUNITY......Im all for cross-server pvp
this ...

Xerain
02.08.2013 , 07:22 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Z-ToXiN View Post
Thats the problem, you need 8 people and 8 other people on another team at the same time. I remember back when I did rateds there would be days when it would take over an hour to assemble a team, and sometimes we would que for over an hour without getting a single match. It would be literally 3 hours of time to get 2 or 3 matches in and over 2 hours of sitting around... Sound like fun? This whole lack of rated teams / players is a real issue; weve been dreaming of cross-server for months, and all the while more people are leaving the game.
You know, I haven't experienced that samething. Sitting around in queue waiting and have nothing happen.

Players are the real issue. New teams getting crapped all over doesn't help anything. Lack of players wanting to join the whole ordeal screws over brackets at this time and lack of cross server doesn't help much there either. If all the servers linked up to 1 just for rated warzones i'm sure the pool would be huge and the amount of people willing to play then could be outstanding.

Getting 8 people should be no problem. I used to be officer in a RWZ guild and on a good day i'd have to turn down 3 people from being tried out and then we had quite a few people in the guild who were just sitting around while we did rateds then they'd complain they all didn't get to go. So there is currently plenty of interest just everyone wants to be on the good teams and play with those people instead of trying to make something else.

CharterMonkKent
02.08.2013 , 08:01 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
What would help rateds a ton is just more people doing them in general. With this small of a pool doing rwz's it's not helping anything TBH. If everyone that really wanted to play RWZ's tried to go and play RWZ's the whole thing would be much better than it is. Things like cross server would help this a lot. Some of these little things dont matter much.

And yeah why isn't this pre-season gone yet? I don't get it... They could of released season 1 with EWH. Would of been great.
I agree with you. There is a lot of player base that wants to pvp, but they don't want to do ranked (as it stands now). I wouldn't go so far as blaming players for not organizing, many don't see it as worth it. I still keep to my original opinion that the limiting design and lack of content is why ranked has failed thus far (and regs are stating to follow). Like many others I've wasted plenty of time over the past 1/2 year trying to do ranked. (I used to play 3-4 hours a day, now I play 1-3 hours every few days) And after all of this time I'm close to convinced that pvp in this game is a failure. Anyway, we all looked at ranked as a place where the "best pvpers in the game can play against each other". We were wrong to think so. I do not believe that playing the same 5 WZs can prove/test anything about pvp "skill". Some of the best (skill/fun) pvp I've had in this game has happened in Section X. Ok, I'm hungover in the office and rambling.

Last thing I'll say is that cross server queuing would probably be rough to implement. With no way to organize (in game, again limiting) when teams on all the servers would be queuing it would still be hit or miss. They need to create a queue board (or something similar) so people across servers can see how many teams are queuing. Even if they added that for single server it would go a long way.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

Xerain
02.08.2013 , 08:08 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
I agree with you. There is a lot of player base that wants to pvp, but they don't want to do ranked (as it stands now). I wouldn't go so far as blaming players for not organizing, many don't see it as worth it. I still keep to my original opinion that the limiting design and lack of content is why ranked has failed thus far (and regs are stating to follow). Like many others I've wasted plenty of time over the past 1/2 year trying to do ranked. (I used to play 3-4 hours a day, now I play 1-3 hours every few days) And after all of this time I'm close to convinced that pvp in this game is a failure. Anyway, we all looked at ranked as a place where the "best pvpers in the game can play against each other". We were wrong to think so. I do not believe that playing the same 5 WZs can prove/test anything about pvp "skill". Some of the best (skill/fun) pvp I've had in this game has happened in Section X. Ok, I'm hungover in the office and rambling.

Last thing I'll say is that cross server queuing would probably be rough to implement. With no way to organize (in game, again limiting) when teams on all the servers would be queuing it would still be hit or miss. They need to create a queue board (or something similar) so people across servers can see how many teams are queuing. Even if they added that for single server it would go a long way.
I fully blame the players. Having an MMO background of playing Star Wars Galaxies where there was basically ZERO content as far as pvp goes (just flag pvp and go find people) it was all up to the players to create the pvp and do things to keep it going and it would keep going for hours and hours at a time. This is an MMO, Play the game, make some friends, do the things you want to do. It shouldn't be up to Bioware to do everything for us to make the game playable. Some things the players do need to control. (Like the whole OWpvp situation) Sure changes DO NEED to be made for rateds, wont disagree there.

IDK if cross server were added a lot of stuff could be fixed to help rateds like actual bracketing system so the top tier teams are stomping out the newbie teams. We need the population and people to be able to make all this effective.