Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disturbance/Lightning Strike: Why do these do so little damage?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Disturbance/Lightning Strike: Why do these do so little damage?

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
02.07.2013 , 07:43 PM | #11
It also seems important to note that if you chaincast Snipe you will very quickly go OOE, which is not the case with Disturbance which you can spam for a LONG time before going OOF (or indefinately if you have Concentration). Further, Sages don't need Accuracy so can instead stack Alacrity which brings the cast time down

Anyway, as Kitru mentioned, only TK really uses Disturbance.

Seers will be using Weaken Mind, Mind Crush and TkT before Disturbance. Some will even use Project first but the efficiency there is iffy. So that's 6-7.5s of downtime from healing before they reach Disturbance on the priority list.

Balance Sages will just spam TkT until they need to reapply DoTs or use FiB. Any uses of Disturbance (even with POM procced) just wastes Force and leads to using GCDs for Nobel Sacrifice later.

TK Sages spam Disturbance as a filler and proccing ability. It's below everything (aside from idiotically hard casting TK Wave) on the priority list.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
02.07.2013 , 10:47 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
It also seems important to note that if you chaincast Snipe you will very quickly go OOE, which is not the case with Disturbance which you can spam for a LONG time before going OOF (or indefinately if you have Concentration). Further, Sages don't need Accuracy so can instead stack Alacrity which brings the cast time down

Anyway, as Kitru mentioned, only TK really uses Disturbance.

Seers will be using Weaken Mind, Mind Crush and TkT before Disturbance. Some will even use Project first but the efficiency there is iffy. So that's 6-7.5s of downtime from healing before they reach Disturbance on the priority list.

Balance Sages will just spam TkT until they need to reapply DoTs or use FiB. Any uses of Disturbance (even with POM procced) just wastes Force and leads to using GCDs for Nobel Sacrifice later.

TK Sages spam Disturbance as a filler and proccing ability. It's below everything (aside from idiotically hard casting TK Wave) on the priority list.
This is all true. This is also my point. For no spec does Disturbance seem to be anything more than a move used grudgingly, and that's just for TK/Lightning. The other two specs just ignore the power altogether. Now if it was awesome for TK spec, that would be different. There are plenty of powers that are pretty much made for one spec or the other. Mind Crush seems like a primarily Balance spec power for example. But Disturbance really isn't much TK other than to proc effects.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
02.08.2013 , 04:40 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
This is all true. This is also my point. For no spec does Disturbance seem to be anything more than a move used grudgingly, and that's just for TK/Lightning. The other two specs just ignore the power altogether. Now if it was awesome for TK spec, that would be different. There are plenty of powers that are pretty much made for one spec or the other. Mind Crush seems like a primarily Balance spec power for example. But Disturbance really isn't much TK other than to proc effects.
It's a filler move that procs other (better) abilities for TK, nothing more, nothing less. You can use it outside of TK spec, but its usually better to use something else. Now that's not isolated to Sages, that applies to a lot of classes. TkT is only situationally useful for non-tank Shadows and Rupture is primarily for Annihilation Maras while Vanguards will rarely use Full Auto.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

PhantomMalice's Avatar


PhantomMalice
02.10.2013 , 08:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
It's a filler move that procs other (better) abilities for TK, nothing more, nothing less. You can use it outside of TK spec, but its usually better to use something else. Now that's not isolated to Sages, that applies to a lot of classes. TkT is only situationally useful for non-tank Shadows and Rupture is primarily for Annihilation Maras while Vanguards will rarely use Full Auto.
This is correct, you can't arbitrary compare different skill of different classes and different spec without looking into how the actual skill functions in a particular place. So let's just entertain your example of Disturbance and Charge Burst. The two class specs that find them viable is Telekinetic Sage and Sharpshooter Gunslinger respectively. This is what they do for each class.

Disturbance give you: Force regen buff, instant cast TK Wave proc, chance to proc additional attack for 30% of the damage, power up all your force attacks up to 3%.

Charge Burst gives you: a chance to use Trick Shot and procs Quick Aim buff.

Disturbance will look inferior on paper at the beginning, but if you put them in practice, a fully powered up Sage's Disturbance will equal if not surpass a Gunslinger's Charge Burst.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
02.22.2013 , 12:38 PM | #15
Nice to see that the devs saw the need to increase the damage of this power. It's doing about 3-3.5x the damage on live with POM procs.

Moral of the story:

Do not allow yourself to fall into one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia; but only slightly less famous is never argue with Master Nala when his main is on the line.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia