Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Obi Wan the Inflexible?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Obi Wan the Inflexible?

Slowpokeking
02.05.2013 , 01:06 PM | #1
Quote:
Palpatine: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Obi Wan the Inflexible?
Anakin: No.
Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a shameful secret. Obi Wan was a honorable Master of the Jedi, so inflexible and so resilient, he could keep his mind calm to defeat foes who are...much stronger than him. He had such a belief of the Light Side, he could even keep his discipline...in the darkest time.
Anakin: He could actually...keep his discipline even in the darkest time?
Palpatine: The light side of the Force is a pathway to many choices some consider to be stubborn.
Anakin: What happened to him?
Palpatine: He became so honorable, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his discipline...while he never did, eventually of course, he lost something more important. Unfortunately, he refused his padawan's help when his lover's life was at risk. Then he tried to defend his belief but...enraged his foe when his foe was torturing his lover. Obi Wan saw it coming but could think nothing other than keep his own discipline. Ironic. He never lose his moral...but he let his lover lost everything for his choice.
Anakin: Is it possible to avoid such tragedy, no, folly?
Palpatine: Not as a Jedi.
Seriously, I do believe Palpatine will let Anakin know what Obi Wan did for obvious reason.

Thylbanus
02.06.2013 , 09:41 AM | #2
Odd how art imitates life.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Darth__Carnal
02.06.2013 , 08:37 PM | #3
Inflexible is a sign of courage. It means you will not bend your convictions under pressure.
Sure Obiwan lost Satine, but Satine never lost faith in Obiwan. She loved him because of his strong convictions and his strength of character. This is the polar opposite of Anakin, who changed his beliefs and was willing to kill younglings to help Padme. This change of character made Padme lose faith in Anakin.

A) Satine : I have always loved you, I always will.

B) Padme : I don't know you anymore. Your going down a path I can't follow.

If I got to choose what dying words I want my lover to say to me. I am probably going to go with Choice A.
☾▓║]!▀!▀!▀!▀!▀!▀║▩▓[██████████▓▒░Surrender to Temptation░▒▓███████████)

Surinen
02.06.2013 , 08:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth__Carnal View Post
Inflexible is a sign of courage. It means you will not bend your convictions under pressure.
Sure Obiwan lost Satine, but Satine never lost faith in Obiwan. She loved him because of his strong convictions and his strength of character. This is the polar opposite of Anakin, who changed his beliefs and was willing to kill younglings to help Padme. This change of character made Padme lose faith in Anakin.

If I got to choose what dying words I want my lover to say to me. I am probably going to go with Choice A.
yes, she loved him for being "nice", padme deserves a golden medal for her stupidity. pity he did not impale her for those blasphemous words. and where she would go if not for his carnage - she would die soon anyway, at least he tried to change it - and she cannot follow him, what a terrible person. at least she died - but she deserved much worse death than she received. stupid, utterly idiotic person.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

BrianDavion
02.06.2013 , 09:49 PM | #5
Satine was obviously created as a direct CONTRAST to Padme and her relationship with Anakin

Slowpokeking
02.06.2013 , 10:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth__Carnal View Post

So you will let your loved one lose everything to keep your pride? That's not courage really, but selfishness.

There is no just 2 ways, both Anakin and Obi Wan went too extreme, that's why both of them caused tragedy.

If all Anakin did is just disobey the council's decision and go with his friend to rescue Padme, it's not wrong.

I'm not going to let my lover die, I would never care of her faith on me if her life is at risk, simple.

Rabenschwinge
02.07.2013 , 03:12 AM | #7
If this is a reference to the 5th season of TCW a spoiler tag would be nice. I couldn't think of any other context in which Obi Wan has a lover, but in earlier seasons there was this memorable conversation:

Anakin: "I'll take care of this, Obi-Wan. You, go find your girlfriend."
Obi-Wan: "Right.… No! Anakin! She's not my…"

However the 5th season is currently not (legally) available here... it's gonna be months, if not years until then.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Thylbanus
02.07.2013 , 10:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
So you will let your loved one lose everything to keep your pride? That's not courage really, but selfishness.

There is no just 2 ways, both Anakin and Obi Wan went too extreme, that's why both of them caused tragedy.

If all Anakin did is just disobey the council's decision and go with his friend to rescue Padme, it's not wrong.

I'm not going to let my lover die, I would never care of her faith on me if her life is at risk, simple.
This "at least they are alive" mentality is how despots and dictators rule for so long. Doing what is right needs to transcend this. It all comes back to quality of life: does living as a slave beat dying as a free person? I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. That would include my loved ones, because I know that they feel the same way.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Slowpokeking
02.07.2013 , 12:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
This "at least they are alive" mentality is how despots and dictators rule for so long. Doing what is right needs to transcend this. It all comes back to quality of life: does living as a slave beat dying as a free person? I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. That would include my loved ones, because I know that they feel the same way.
What does bring Anakin for help and let him fix the ship, not to enrage Maul has anything to do with living as a slave?

Thylbanus
02.07.2013 , 04:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
What does bring Anakin for help and let him fix the ship, not to enrage Maul has anything to do with living as a slave?
When did he ask Anakin not to come along? He may be assigned to another task by the Jedi Council and couldn't help Obi.