Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

your mats/ no fee?

Rest_in_Pieces
02.07.2013 , 05:06 AM | #21
Our guild started the free crafting on Red Eclipse and we have seen a huge influx of orders for the stuff we do. This forced most of the server to go free crafting as well and pushed the prices down overall in a long term. There can be some debate whether it is good or not, but we are recognized as trustworthy crafters as a guild.

The point I wanted to make - I cannot afford to break people's trust if they order something. With about 20-50 orders a day I rarely do direct trading or have many stuff ready made, it would drive me crazy to the point I could not play the game anymore for all the time needed for trading alone.

For the OP - play it the way you feel more safe. Direct trade is the safest way to go. I can also vouch for finding a trusted crafter (reputation, server forums etc.) and sticking with him.

Critswise I agree with the concept of giving crits to the guildies / close friends only. First I cannot really tell who got which crit in all the volume I craft so it would not be fair and second I consider it a payment for the time and effort invested into the job.

EDIT: I craft the earpieces for free also for the reason of helping the guys who need them and for the marketing purpose as well. The volume is not that high so no big deal here.
Luviel, Spark of Insanity

psandak
02.07.2013 , 10:28 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
no i came from eq1 and eq2 where crafting was far more involved and complicated. where you had a chance of failure and rare materials HAD to be harvested or mobs killed by yourself as some were no-trade (bop). also you had to physically craft and not click a button then go afk or send a companion out. there was a mechanic in place to make bop items which require you to meet the player at a crafting station and both of you had to be there. god forbid if you failed on the combine and wasted the materials. cant fail in this game. dont have to go anywhere either. just summon a mail droid and send your companion out and continue on with what you are doing.

but your answer is what i anticipated when you differentiate between guildies and non guildies. that is ok as in this game far too many people have 26/27 schematics where reputation plays very little of a role. i also understand the trusting part as i have been playing these mmos for over 12 years. i too would do the swap thing if i didn't have so many schematics. but i dont advertise on fleet to make this or that. i only make items for the gtn and guildies. you did comment about making a agreement prior to the crafting which i am in favor of and have always done over the years. it eliminates a lot of potential problems that can come up. but many people dont do this so i asked the question specifically without such agreements. i am more interested in peoples responses to what i said about crits and reasons for it. also i was unaware blizzard had a similar mechanic and would have not made the post if this was known.

thank you for your response
Oh I played EQ1 as well, so I remember all too well that chance of failure . It especially sucked when you failed twice or three times in a row (a rare occurrence, but it did happen). And I remember having to wait in line to kill pixies to get a material for Halas Meat Pies because it was a no trade (BoP) item (luckily one drop was enough to make a LOT of Halas Meat Pies). What I disliked about the guild hall in EQ1 was that it had all the crafting stations (oven, distillery, loom, etc) but no vendors to buy vendor only materials. So you went out to PoK to buy the materials and the crafting stations were there too so why bother going back to the guild hall?

As for WoW's similar mechanic...In WoW the alchemy crafting profession had a mastery system where the player chooses a mastery: potions, elixirs/flasks, or transmutation. And while the mastery did not restrict what the alchemist could make (a transmutation master could also make potions, elixirs, and flasks), if the alchemist crafted within his mastery there was a 15% (locked in) chance of generating 1 to 4 extras of that item. Further, a lot of the transmutation recipes were in a linked 24 hour cooldown; you could do one of about a dozen transmutes and all would be locked out for the duration of the cooldown. So it was quite common for players to "sell" their one transmute each day. And the potential for extras was a hotbed of debate as to who got what. The eventual consensus was that the players involved had to come to an agreement before the transaction and there were a LOT of variations. Even so, there were many times when extras were generated and one player tried to rip off the other.

tanktest
02.09.2013 , 08:19 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rest_in_Pieces View Post
Our guild started the free crafting on Red Eclipse and we have seen a huge influx of orders for the stuff we do. This forced most of the server to go free crafting as well and pushed the prices down overall in a long term. There can be some debate whether it is good or not, but we are recognized as trustworthy crafters as a guild.

The point I wanted to make - I cannot afford to break people's trust if they order something. With about 20-50 orders a day I rarely do direct trading or have many stuff ready made, it would drive me crazy to the point I could not play the game anymore for all the time needed for trading alone.

For the OP - play it the way you feel more safe. Direct trade is the safest way to go. I can also vouch for finding a trusted crafter (reputation, server forums etc.) and sticking with him.

Critswise I agree with the concept of giving crits to the guildies / close friends only. First I cannot really tell who got which crit in all the volume I craft so it would not be fair and second I consider it a payment for the time and effort invested into the job.

EDIT: I craft the earpieces for free also for the reason of helping the guys who need them and for the marketing purpose as well. The volume is not that high so no big deal here.

Me to I even got reported once because it failed and I lost everything and I had just warned the player he may lose all his mats etc it failed he reported me the rest you can guess ...

NLxAROSA
02.10.2013 , 06:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Darevsool View Post
I've also seen people spamming the same deal for earpieces and implants, though less frequently. THAT one I don't understand as crits on those = augment slots, not extra units to sell.
It's a bit of work, but I guess it could make money. Make item yourself without augment slot. Have someone send you mats and hope to score a critical. Give the one without the augment to person. RE the augmented one and sell the augment slot components. It's small cash, but it could work.

Darevsool
02.11.2013 , 08:03 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by NLxAROSA View Post
It's a bit of work, but I guess it could make money. Make item yourself without augment slot. Have someone send you mats and hope to score a critical. Give the one without the augment to person. RE the augmented one and sell the augment slot components. It's small cash, but it could work.
I suppose I could see some people doing that, and it certainly IS a valid explanation that I can understand, but it just 'feels' wrong to me. Seeing as how the tier 6 augment slot is really only worth ~60k.....I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Asavrede
02.11.2013 , 09:11 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Przemo_No View Post
Hey,
maybe noob question, but what actually happens when someone screams out long in general chat "advanced something hilt/barrel/mod 27, no fee, your mats.."

Then am I supposed to send him those mats and he will craft the item for me at no fee and send back to me?

I hardly believe in that, what would be the purpose of it?
Yes, that is the gist of it. I do that a lot actually (on Progenitor) - I make my profits off any crits I get (which produces two items for the price of one). So there is nothing to be leery of, except of course that you have to trust the crafter you make the deal with. There is any number of ways verify this, asking for references, looking at the guild tag, etc.

Generally scamming someone for a few mats isn't worth losing your name in the crafting business on any given server.

Quote:
You don't send the mats to them, you find them on the fleet/planet and trade the item for the materials. I've heard of people saying they lost their mats and didn't get the item when they mailed it to the person that was crafting. So always make sure the person has the item on hand before trading.
Always send materials COD for 1 credit - that way you get a receipt (and noone cares about 1 credit)

Quote:
You can get a 25% chance to crit, 15 base/10 for orange items. Guessing at lvl 400 they are all yellow to craft.
Quote:
legacy perk is for augment slots only. please let me know when this was changed to additional items too.
A full affection companion has a 20% crit chance to crit, any companion bonus on top of that (the ship droid with the sensors from the ship repair droid give +5% to a few skills at least), and 3% from legacy perk = you can get up to 28% crit chance. And legacy perk always affected crit crafts in general, doesn't matter what craft or effect a crit has (ie. two items or augment slot is the same).

jasonthelamb
02.12.2013 , 02:02 PM | #27
I offer my Implants free w/ mats because I don't craft anything anyways, and it doesn't cost me to craft anything, and I'm not looking to make a profit off an implant I was lucky enough to get the schematic for.